Reasons NOT to rip all your CDs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SquishySounds, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Just some stuff you mom gave me.

2. Funky54

Yeah I got that. But seriously no Mac either just iOS. I’m not using it at all for music. I do use it to control whole House Audio, but 90% of my music is vinyl.

3. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

Because it's really truly annoying to rip CDs if you have even a moderately sized collection, you lose access to the printed information on the back cover and booklet, and it's way more fun to contemplate your collection on the shelves and actually hold the cases and discs in your hands and spin them.

4. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

Agreed: My number one reason is the utter PIA it is ripping a large number of CDs.

I ripped all of mine...over a long time...and it was one egregious task that I'm glad is (mostly) behind me. ('Course after doing all that, I got back in to vinyl so now I'm barely using the ripped CDs).

I friggin' hate CDs as a physical medium! Ugly, not nice to hold, break if you look at them wrong, too small to enjoy artwork. I'm never sad to see the backside of a CD once it's ripped. (I store mine hidden ignominiously out of sight in a downstairs close. Too lazy to sell them, and no one is buying).

mds likes this.
  5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Me too; 231 so far this year.

Grant likes this.
  6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I used to be that way, but I don't really care to hold the CD case anymore. I've already read the booklets to almost all of them, and I can display the artwork on my computer monitor.

Ripping CDs was indeed a chore, but what I did was get two or three computers and utilize them all for burning. I'd take a small stack or two of CDs every night after work and rip them. I didn't even bother to tag them all that well just to get them done. I did all of my tag tweaking after the fact. I still catch stuff here and there that isn't properly tagged to my specs, but i've gotten about 95% all tagged correctly. In twelve years, i've only had to re-rip maybe five CDs because of glitches.

Now, when I get a CD, I rip and tag it before I even listen to it, and I listen to the ripped files, not the CD.

Grissongs, shaboo, Kyhl and 1 other person like this.
  7. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

Can't argue with your first point, but I certainly don't miss trying to read the tiny text on CD booklets.

Also, I prefer a minimalist room to one with shelves of CDs or vinyl LPs. Browsing on tablet with Roon beats picking off shelves any day. Nothing is lost, but so much is gained.

8. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I think my stereo room looks great, and has plenty of character with the LP's in nice timber racks & I would hate to hide them.

I have no use or motivation to rip and tag my cd's despite being flat out even tagging a photo.

9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I guess we still have to break it to you that an iPhone / iPad is also a computer. It doesn't just run on courage.

As for the mom joke....well, as I've stated here before, this place makes me feel like it's 1988 sometimes so I can add your reply to that now. Tricky reply btw for a forum frequented by 50 and 60 somethings as my mom could be dead.

Grant and bever70 like this.
  10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I just wanted to say this is a fantastic thread that continues to deliver.

Something that was true 30 years ago that is still true today - there's no such thing as not being good with a computer. Cool people have always just chosen not to use them for unrelated reasons.

curbach likes this.
  11. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

Totally agree! I love to see my collection on the shelves because it is an important part of my memory and my life. And don't forget that humans need to touch things too. I have thousands of digital files in my car but ins't the same.

ClassicalCD likes this.
  12. Funky54

We banter. Often on two different sides of a subject. Often I’ll make a comment in a thread.. you and your body find it, twist it, analyze it, take it very literal and make some snarky comment. You think I don’t know a calculator is a computer... when people say computer they generally don’t mean a calculator or a tablet. They usually mean a PC, or sometimes Mac like advertising or graphic industries.. but by and large people don’t really mean a tablet.

I made a fun light hearted jest about records. You got all grouchy with pine cone in your pants irritated and come and start in about pictures and being on the internet. I never said I didn’t use modern technology. I design, engineer and sell technology for a living. Don’t take me so literal all the time.

A mom joke is just an endearing light hearted jab back n forth, I meant no disrespect. Among friends Mom jokes are nostalgic and for fun... they lay a path to light hearted banter. I was giving you a CLUE that I wasn’t serious. Have a great day

billnunan and TarnishedEars like this.
  13. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I have several CD players and I like using them.

thetman likes this.
  14. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I ripped all my cds in the days back then....in mp3 format. When I got a proper hd-system conected to my stereo system I re-ripped everything to flac. It wasn't that hard, because my system (cocktailaudio) lets me rip cd's while I'm in my listening seat, enjoying other music or watching something on tv or reading a book....wireless wifi keyboard on my lap to edit tags if needed. I just need to get up to put in a new cd every 5 minutes or so....or not if I don't feel like it.
    I am always getting new cd's from the library and rip them if I like 'em. I still like to listen to a real cd from time to time though, it's just a different experience from streaming it.

15. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

If someone wants to come over and rip my approx. 12,000 CDs let me know.

Blank Frank likes this.
  16. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

Well yeah -- ripping 12,000 cd's aint happening. That I totally get. Not to be TOO provocative . . . if you really wanted to employ a home server, you could rip a subset of your 'most played' or some other subset. So owning 12,000 is not a per se barrier.

I'll never go back to cd physical media. But I'm older than many here, and (1) finding the cd I want in a dimly (or for that matter well) lit room is a challenge due to reading glasses, (2) reading the tiny print on the booklets is a challenge, (3) living room decor that does not accommodate hundreds of cd's is reality, and (4) essentially random access to any track via Roon has become an integral part of the way we listen to much of our music (we do still listen to LP's, and for those we're "in" for an entire side or entire album).

Bern likes this.
  17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

You may think I'm grouchy but you'd actually be mistaken. You haven't reached that threshold yet. I'll let you know if that happens.

On the other hand you're the one with the overly defensive posture so far. You took my own reply and ramped it up pretty quickly and it's pretty common knowledge that the phone in your pocket is a computer. I just replied accordingly.

18. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Or maybe your attempt at crapping in a CD thread backfired and you just can't let it go.

Gaslight and GreenDrazi like this.
  19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I rip cds as get them. I also rip needle-drops from cd-r. All of my iTunes library (8,000 songs,) are rips. Never have downloaded music.

20. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

I have some, but not a ton, of CDs that I had ripped.

And I agree that iTunes is not the best choice for ripping CDs. Not by a long shot. From an ALAC file I decompressed it back to WAV, and then recompressed it to FLAC using AccurateRip (which is bundled with the version of EAC that I currently use). Of all of those iTunes rips (dozens of CDs) only one of my CDs ripped using that program was verified accurate by AccurateRip. The rest either came out as "You may have a different pressing" or "not found in the AccurateRip database." My next test is to rip the files directly to WAV using iTunes, and see how that compares. One thing for sure about iTunes ripping is that its speed is fast (less than five minutes per disc), even with error correction enabled. AccurateRip, on the other hand, takes quite a long time with my particular optical drive - about 18 minutes for a full album-length CD.

21. Funky54

If the way I came across insulted those that enjoy CD’s I’m sorry. I honestly didn’t mean to say anything of substance. If you like your CD’s that cool. I don’t rip any of mine. I do often find CD physical content better than a lot of the additionally compressed versions available on line.

How bout I take one from your rule book and start following every thread you ever comment in and say snarky crap constantly? Would that be enjoyable to you? You think you might get tired of it? I have.

22. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I think that many of the reasons that you list for hating ripping are largely addressed by the Roon platform with its wealth of metadata.

But I'm with you in that I do occasionally pull out the CD covers and read the contents. However this usually happens when I first listen to a CD. After that I rarely bother again. But since I have all of my CDs filed alphabetically and by genera, I can find the physical copies of whatever CD's contend I'm listening to within a minute or two whenever I care pull them out.

And having the majority of your collection available from a tablet interface actually makes it way easier to brows my collection than it is to look through my thousands of CDs by reading the butt-end of the cases. For whatever reason my mind associates cover art with CD content, but often not the titles. So being able to quickly scan through the covers is something which I love about having CDs ripped.

bever70 likes this.
  23. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

If the quantity seems daunting, then I'd suggest a rip-as-you-go approach.

Grant likes this.
  24. Grant

It is the internet where we do not personally know each other and it is not possible to see each other's demeanor. So, it is not obvious if someone is kidding around, and it is usually best to take someone literally because it is the written word, not face-to-face conversation. In Gassy's defense, he doesn't know you well enough to not take you literally.

25. Grant

Wow!!! How old is your optical drive??? How old is your computer??? 18 minutes??? The only time it ever takes that long for me is if I have a badly scratched CD and I rip with EAC in secure mode. And, I have an 11 year-old machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.