Reassessing GTR

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Say It Right, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Very few words yet so true and concise.

vinylphile likes this.
  2. I agree, but the point was they could have had a "record deal" with a slightly less streamlined project.

3. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Man. He has a decent voice.

4. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Perhaps. But if the comments below the video are to be believed, Hackett is lip-synching to a pre-recorded track.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Having listened to most of Hackett's recorded output, I think this is highly possible here, if not likely.

6. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

An older post I know, but you couldn’t have been more wrong about this. GTR was going to be a more adventurous album but the record company had a different idea. When you’re being micromanaged by a record label there’s not much room for creativity. The problem, in general, with Hackett’s solo career is not the music, but with EMI pressuring him to have a hit single, which is something he did achieve with Cell 151 from the Highly Strung album, but this was something he was never interested in. I don’t think he regretted leaving Genesis at all nor did he feel that their huge success was something he missed out on. He clearly said that leaving Genesis was something that he simply had to do as he wanted to make his own records as his own material wasn’t being used and they were moving in a musical direction that he had no interest in.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Runicen likes this.
  7. Don’t believe it. Doesn’t look like it.

8. My guess is that he is singing *along* with a prerecorded harmony vocal (I can hear some doubling in the main vocal that I don’t think is reverb) but there is no way he is merely lip syncing. He probably has a little “help” hitting the high notes too (ie, “forget the past”). Remember that there are also four other vocalists joining in.

9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I like When the Heart Rules the Mind. Great singer, too.

carlwm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.