Reassessing GTR

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Say It Right, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

How is the mastering on the Deluxe Edition ?

2. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

Well nothing is ever going to make this an audiophile album short of a serious remix, but I think it is an improvement. There is some more bottom end than the original had which gives it a bit more heft.

3. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I saw this band live back in the day - horrible. I recently pulled my One Way cd off the shelf and sold it for 50 bucks, that made me laugh.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    CybrKhatru and Fullbug like this.
  4. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

First honest post on the thread! Kudos.

5. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

True.

I've reassessed... My review?

STL SHT

:biglaugh:

Crungy likes this.
  6. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

STL - is that still or stool... does it matter?

My view has only slightly changed... CRP... ;)

7. Just got the deluxe edition in the mail today. :righton:

8. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I'm still waiting for my item. How does it sound ?

9. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Well.....I just ordered it and got the free MP3......not sure how I managed it since it wasn't supposed to release until tomorrow. This just appeals to me for some reason, it's maybe the same part of me that loves Mr. Mister, The Hooters, The Outfield........the live version of "WTHRTM" is surprisingly good since there's a real crap version on YT from a different show. They must have really tightened it up by the time they got to Los Angeles. I realize the song's a bit corny and the video.......so funny but as much as I'd like to sound like the serious music critic here..........I like it. I love in the video how they're all doing "The Carlton" and I don't know what Phil Spalding was attempting to do that microphone. I realize that being a great musician doesn't always equate to creating good songs as songwriting is every bit an art as playing, maybe these guys figured their talent could cross over, I dunno.......just like many of the songs on this and am glad it was made. Max Bacon has a cool last name.

Surly and Billy Budapest like this.
  10. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

The woman in your profile picture looks like she's about to feast on poor lil' Paul.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  11. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

It seems OK to me but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume your ears are a little more tuned in to bad mastering than my own. I'll get to play it on my "hi-fi" tomorrow night though. Still glad I got it, nice bonus material and I really do like the record despite its shortcomings.

12. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired Thread Starter

Got the remaster. Enjoyed it more than in 1986. As has been said, it was definitely “of the time” in production style, that that GTR was seeking a wider audience beyond carryover progressive fans. Steve Howe’s guitar playing is much more prominent than what he did with Asia. Steve Hackett’s playing was similar to what he was doing on his solo records at the time. The rhythm section was solid. Not particularly fond of the production, as it was stated in the liner notes that there was a lot of more virtuosic work, which was edited out.

Have not had a chance to listen to the live disc yet. Expecting it to be about the same as the King Biscuit CD.

The booklet contains some interesting tidbits. In particular, GTR was shopped to Geffen Records before Arista. Geffen was insistent on including other big names to market another supergroup. It didn’t seem as if this idea ever got past that stage, so doubtful that other names were bandied about. Also, it seems that the lineup was pretty much situated at that point anyway. However, Robert Berry did appear as somewhat of a replacement for Steve Hackett, after the latter departed and before the former joined Emerson/Palmer in 3.

Billy Budapest and Shak Cohen like this.
  13. My dad bought this album on vinyl back in 1986. Don't really recall the album as a whole, but When The Heart Rules The Mind, and, especially, The Hunter, were/are great songs.

Billy Budapest and bru87tr like this.
  14. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

My quote about GTR was: When they were playing you could actually see them mentally calculating how much they were getting paid per note.

15. So you're a mind reader?

16. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Wow...

The One Way was even worse than the original release and it fetched $50!....

Galley and bru87tr like this.
  17. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Well, it was really $49.95. I got a couple messages before I sold it like "How about $30.00? Please!" :laugh:

CybrKhatru likes this.
  18. CybrKhatru

I have loved prog rock ever since I was a teen; have played in tribute bands and original prog bands before (and am currently in one now).

That said, the thing I HATE about the scene is that "snob appeal". Really. It's just music. Get over yourselves... LOL! The whole "pissing content" and cries of "Sell out!" just piss me off. :laugh:

19. Say It Right

Admit to having gone through that phase, but at 19 years old, we can attribute that for youth and inexperience. Some associates of mine have never come to terms with Asia and GTR. That's fine. Different strokes. It's been my contention almost ever since that "what were they supposed to do?"
    Progressive was done during the mid-80's (even stated explicitly in the new GTR booklet). So, to keep working, another approach had to be tried. Yeah, part of me still perceived it to be "selling out," but even Steve Hackett was honest in his assessment. He admitted that so much of his solo work had been too esoteric.

Billy Budapest and Shak Cohen like this.
  20. CybrKhatru

I went through it too... at roughly the same age. Maybe that's why I'm over it! :laugh: And I agree with you re: the 80s...

Say It Right likes this.
  21. The mastering of the LP is about what you would expect (unfortunately). Jacked up compression, harsh treble, and thin sound. When the Heart Rules the Mind sounds thinner, more congested, and brighter (in a bad way) than the rest of the LP. Maybe they had a worse tape source. The bonus tracks surprisingly sound much, much better than the album.

Say It Right likes this.
  22. What free MP3?

Agreed about the live " WTHRTM." Sounded really tight. Only wish is that those intro keyboards were instead played via guitar synthesizer, as they were in the studio.

Steve, Steve, and Phil's B/V's sounded really good too. Always wondered how Howe could deliver good B/V's pretty consistently but couldn't really deliver any good lead vocals.

23. CybrKhatru

I recently found the original US Arista CD for $1. I may try to do my own re-EQ of it..! :) Although the remaster is tempting!

Say It Right likes this.
  24. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, it was a rough time for aging prog bands, no doubt. The old school approach wasn't going to fly anymore, but only a few of them managed to thrive in the new environment, most notably Genesis. I still give points to King Crimson for maintaining their dignity, but they only stuck around for three albums at that point.

25. Say It Right

Just gave it a listen, and it does seem to be improved sonically. The King Biscuit version wasn't bad, but it wasn't an ear massage either. This does give some hints that GTR was probably pretty decent live. It probably only cost about $15 for a decent seat back then too!

CybrKhatru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.