Reassessing Steely Dan's "Gaucho" (almost 37 years later)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny 99, Sep 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notgoblin

notgoblin Habitual Linestepper - not dancer

I have many versions of Gaucho, love it. The 2008 SHM CD is the favourite, as the hihat's on Hey 19 are more audible in the mix. Is it because of source tapes? Or just the chosen mastering?

2. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Easy now, no need to get all bent. It's just a song... though a pretty great one, if you ask me. Yeah I know all about the interview in Musician where Fagan cops to lifting the opening riff from Keith Jarrett. There's nothing in there about who or what the song's about. If you have some facts to support your theory let's hear em... don't just tell me to "search the forum". That's weak.

strummer101 likes this.
  3. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

What's weak and uninformed is your opinion. It's been discussed at length. I'm not serving it up for you. You're the one making a baseless assertion. You back it up.

4. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Third World Man is about Becker

5. misteranderson

Every Steely Dan song ever written is about Becker.

Nostaljack, 905, Muddy and 2 others like this.
  6. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

LOL, it's my pet theory and I'm stickin' to it...Becker was in the throes of addiction. I haven't read back to the Gaucho theory but that sounds less likely

7. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

I did. Becker was using and screwing up their relationship. Read his obit in Rolling Stone: "By the time of 1980's Gaucho, Becker's life began unraveling. During the making of the album, Becker was hit by a taxi in New York and was confined to a wheelchair while making the album. The punishing Gaucho sessions strained his relationship with Fagen, and Becker succumbed to a growing drug habit, reportedly heroin. In January 1980 his girlfriend Karen Stanley overdosed in their New York apartment. Steely Dan broke up the following year." According to Fagen "His habits got the best of him by the end of the seventies." I think the lyrics are pretty clear if you don't take them literally, which you never should with Steely Dan. Now your turn. You tell me what "holding hands with the man from Rio" means.

hi_watt likes this.
  8. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Well, and don't forget Keith Jarrett. :p

It's not just the opening riff, by the way.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  9. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

The other thing with that is that even if they said in an interview with a magazine that the song was about such and such, that doesn't mean that they're not simply creating a fiction for such interviews. It's not as if it's far-fetched for an artist to do that. Artists do such things frequently.

People often assume that either lyrics are autobiographical and more or less true, or if not, at least comments that artists make in interviews, in autobiographies, etc. are more or less straightforward and true. Not only does that make me wonder, "Do you not know anything about arts & entertainment businesses?" but "Do you not know anything about human nature?" Since when do you believe that people are necessarily being honest/straightforward/spilling all the beans?

Socalguy likes this.
  10. Philo

Philo Music Maven

And Becker and Fagan admit to doing so regularly!

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I suspect that with Steely Dan, and with Gaucho in particular, unless we've got the artists telling us who they were writing about (and even then, I might not trust them), I think their characters are largely fictional, although they may have some real life origins.

For me, it's those odd characters that make the album - the dandy of Gamma Chi, the jolly roger who needs to answer for his crimes, Jive Miguel who's in from Bogota, Jack who stalks the dreaded moray eel with his Eurasian bride, the gaucho in your spangled leather poncho (and elevator shoes) and, of course, Johnny, the third world man making the sidewalks safe for the little guy.

So great.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  12. misteranderson

As I said before, all of those people are Walter Becker!!!

Thanks for the common sense.

13. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

So what does any of that ancient history have to do with the fact that "Gaucho" is about a bickering gay couple in a love triangle? By claiming the song is about Walter Becker are you implying Becker was gay, Socal, or that he and Fagen were more than bandmates/songwriting collaborators? Enough with the g-ddamn innuendo already, say what you mean.

Again, read the album by album discussion. We already hashed out the meaning of "Gaucho" in there.

14. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

For anyone's education, the Musician Magazine interview in question...
    Steely Dan interview

Nightfly68, 905 and Socalguy like this.
  15. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

@ohnothimagen

Hahaha, wow, what a load of condescending b.s.

To declare that a song is "in fact" about something just because you think you "already hashed out the meaning" is pretty hilarious.

I'm not implying anything. I think I was pretty clear. I don't think it's about a gay couple at all. In fact, I don't think there's any homosexuality in the lyrics. I think it's about Becker's heroin use. Which part of that did you not understand?

Do you need me to go through the lyrics line by line?

And wtf are you so touchy about? Lighten up.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

And...ignore. Condescending? Pot, meet the f--kin' kettle!:rolleyes: For a sixty post newbie you should show a bit more respect to yer elders and betters.

17. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Gaucho is a classic. Love the album. The mfsl sounds great

Nightfly68 and misteranderson like this.
  18. misteranderson

Yeah. I've had the MoFi CD for years. It's spectacular.

Audioresearch likes this.
  19. Audioresearch

Did You find a better version than The mfsl?

20. misteranderson

No. Once I'm satisfied that's pretty much it. You get conflicting opinions of the CD remasters.

I'll probably end up with a nice clean Gaucho LP soon. They're not that hard to find or expensive. My good old original is pretty chewed up, I think.

Still need really good original vinyl of Can't Buy A Thrill, Katy, & Countdown to Ecstasy. Then I'm probably done with the Dan.

21. Audioresearch

Yes I understand! After The MFSL I did not look Amy further.
    I love The dan But I have all The versions that I like. No need too buy other versions.

Chemguy likes this.
  22. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

The 5.1 surround version is sublime.

23. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Good vinyl of Katy? Well, good luck. I've been searching so long! I'm hoping for some kind of definitive remaster on vinyl that will finally do the trick.

Come on, Donald! Help us out!

24. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

In my single disc best of the Dan I only have room for two tracks from Gaucho. It's between the big three, Babylon, Hey Nineteen and TOOM. I'm having a difficult time cutting any of them.
    Advice needed!

Keith V likes this.
  25. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

The first two I reluctantly recommend.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.