Reassessing Tom Jones

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic Thread Starter

I recently bought the Complete Decca Studio Albums set; like many, I was somewhat surprised by how good it (generally) is ..... perhaps because, like many, I’d never thought of TJ as an album artist.

His run from the Debut up to Close Up in 1972 is very strong indeed; listening to these albums, it’s clear that he was a very special kind of singer - one who could’ve sung opera or hard rock with equal conviction (Donna Summer is the only other ‘pop’ vocalist I’ve ever felt could have taken similar paths).

But it’s clear that by around 1972, ideas were running dry and he was starting to release the same album every year. TJ’s virtues and flaws were very much those of his manager, Gordon Mills, who was quite brilliant in positioning him for a slightly older marketplace/fanbase, but ultimately ran out of ideas. By the mid-seventies, Jones had become a very high profile cabaret act and it would take him over a decade to re-invent himself.

Still, his best stuff is very good indeed and this set has introduced me to the work of some songwriters who hadn’t been properly on my radar.

2. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

What's to reassess? Women threw their panties and hotel room keys at him. He is legend.

3. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

In recent years he has taken the "Johnny Cash" route e.g. looking at old blues/country mixed up with some of the more fringey, interesting music from the past 20-30 years. His cover of John Lee Hooker's Burning Hell is extreme. Top singer. Always held great respect for Mr. Jones despite the at times overwrought gold-chain-stuck-in-the-rug-of-love kind of image. Never stood in the way for some amazing interpretations of songs; particularly soul music seemed a natural fit. The orchestrated pop hits from the 60's & early 70's still sound great.

4. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

Maybe the greatest live performance ever captured for television.

5. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

6. Siegmund

This Is Tom Jones contained some amazing performances. Most of its on Youtube and every time I take a look, my mind is blown.

7. Bnk

Bnk Forum Resident

His version of Wichita Lineman is up there with Glen Campbell's. I'm surprised he didn't do more Jimmy Webb, I could only find one other ( looks like a lesser Webb) track in Google.
    Who are the best songwriters for him you reckon, any recurring names?

8. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

He’s a judge on the tv talent show the Voice UK and his voice is still incredible. Puts most people a third of his age to shame.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
  9. Siegmund

Les Reed and Barry Mason were his ‘bespoke writers’ in his glory days. They tended to furnish him with very dramatic material that suited the extrovert qualities of his voice.

Yes, he probably should’ve done more Webb covers.

The cover of Gilbert O’Sullivan’s Nothing Rhymed on the Tom album is interesting, but not an ideal fit.

Bnk likes this.
  10. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

A great clip. Crosby is clearly impressed with Jones. And why not? Fantastic vocal.

11. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

Tom has always delivered the goods. I saw this clip of him doing an acoustic version of It’s Not Unusual a while back and marveled at it (and how good a song that is when you really listen to it).

12. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Gotta love him singing (backed by the Flaming Lips) the TV show theme
    for 'Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century'.

13. Siegmund

From 2020. Admittedly, not having to project over a full force orchestra, but no-one’s voice should sound this good at 80:

14. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Elvis was also impressed

15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

When I saw him in May, the first two songs were deep, bluesy songs that pondered mortality. The third song was "Sex Bomb."

That's Sir Tom in a nutshell.

16. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

Yes, Elvis clearly patterned his return to live performing in Vegas after seeing what Jones did there. In 1976 he covered one of Jones's signature songs, "I'll Never Fall in Love Again," but by then his voice was unreliable and it was a wasted effort. Incidentally, there's a surprisingly large amount of photos of Elvis and Tom hanging out.

My respect for Jones was cemented after seeing him hold his own against his guest stars on TV. The fact that he could duet with folks like Little Richard and Wilson Pickett--and sound just as powerful and soulful as them--was irrefutable evidence of his talent.

17. Siegmund

18. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I enjoy seeing Tom show Van Morrison and Jeff Beck how to sing a bluesy tune.

19. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Tom Jones is a force of nature. Tom Jones is a world treasure. His voice is thunder and lightning and has the powerful authority of a God. One of those guys like Sinatra who can take a song and make it his own.

20. hurdygurdygal

hurdygurdygal Forum Resident

JUST watched this an hour ago with my kids after my son played "What's New, Pussycat?" in the car :laugh:

Panama Hotel and rlj1010 like this.
  21. "Re(mixing)assessing Tom Jones"

"Kiss - Tom Jones & The Art of Noise"

:winkgrin:

22. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Yes.
    Elvis saw Jones in Vegas and that was the catalyst

Chemically altered likes this.
  23. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Fantastic performance. If only Tom had chosen to record more of this kind of material than some of the pap he did choose to record, then he would have had similar credibility in the late 60s/early 70s to the likes of Cocker and Joplin. I believe he was that good.

Unfortunately, Tom chose to record “The Young New Mexican Puppeteer” instead.

24. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

This is a favorite of mine. Nice raw, rockin' band.

[​IMG]

MikeP5877 and Siegmund like this.
  25. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Those early 70s Tom Jones albums are pretty good.
    One side would be rock and r&b and the other ballads and soul.
    Nothing amazing but a solid listen.

Armjim likes this.