Received a CDR from Amazon.com second time this year for an album recently released.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by TaumpyTears, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

Lili Kraus Plays Mozart Piano Sonatas is now also a CD-R, which of course the crooks at Amazon won't specify on the product details. Also, a review I wrote of another CD-R sold by Amazon as a real CD was deleted. Amazon cannot be trusted.

slipkid and croquetlawns like this.
  2. People need to start writing "coded" reviews that describe a CD-R without explicitly using that term. Amazon is using some automated software that likely prevents mention of that specific term. They also probably scrutinize further any reviews that give it one or two star ratings.

"What I received wasn't a pressed CD."

3. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

I complained to Amazon about this and received a full refund. Nevertheless, this whole CD-R business is a curse for collectors. They said they were going to forward my comments to the appropriate department, so let's hope someone relevant takes notice.

croquetlawns and Eric_Generic like this.
  4. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I don't mean to make light of your situation - I've had this happen in the past and it's infuriating - but I love the little irony of using the term "burned". What delicious wordplay!

croquetlawns and slipkid like this.
  5. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

I ordered Auto Da Fé - When The Curtain Goes Bang 2CD anthology directly from their Bandcamp.

What arrived was 2 CDRs - well done but CDRs nonetheless. The single sided inlay directed me to the Bandcamp page to see liner notes and lyrics.

When I raised it with the artist & mentioned that CDRs don't last forever, I got a response of "It’s a limited edition- I’m not a record company unfortunately to afford to make 1000 CD run. If you’re not happy please return and I’ll refund. PS CDs don’t last forever either."

I have updated the Discogs entry to reflect this. Should be flagged upfront.

6. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

P.s.we don't last forever either but that isn't the point

7. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

No I think it's fair to expect CD-Rs from DIY artists. You would have gotten a download along with it, so you've basically got the masters on your computer.

8. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Not a DIY artist really but one who had moderate success in Ireland during the 1980s with 2 LPs and a half a dozen singles - and is now releasing an anthology.
    Either way, if CDRs are offered then that should be stated on the site.
    And if that was the case, I would have just ordered the download.
    The CDRs in this case are worthless as the inlay has virtually nothing on it so it's not as if we're getting a booklet.

slipkid and Eric_Generic like this.
  9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

This is why I'd just prefer to buy a lossless digital version. If it's something special, I'll order the LP. Sticking (another) CD-R into a box in my closet is not the best use of resources.

Squad 701 and slipkid like this.
  10. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

So far I have received two CD-R cds from Amazon (one in 2019, and one yesterday), these were sold by Amazon, not a third party seller.
    Nowhere on the description did it say I was gonna receive CD-R.
    These are definitely of lower quality, blurrier tray inserts and booklets printed on cheaper paper, lower quality disc labels, etc.
    Gimme pressed discs from Mexico and EU any day of the week!

11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Gimme Terre Haute and Olyphant.

12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Make sure you contact them, complain, and demand a refund.

ClassicalCD, Dave and croquetlawns like this.
  13. Jason Pumphrey

Not sure I want to do that, Amazon been known for banning folks who complain and return too much.

14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Unless you have been doing that over and over I don't think you need to worry about it. How often have you complained/returned things to Amazon?

Besides you are 100% in the right here to do that.

croquetlawns and Jason Pumphrey like this.
  15. Jason Pumphrey

I just had another issue yesterday I had to despute with a Storyteller Rod Stewart 4 cd set, that had The Matrix 4k disc as disc four of the set.
    This mistake has happened to several people lately.
    Rod Stewart Storyteller (newer cd issue)

croquetlawns and slipkid like this.
  16. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Wow, weird.

EG.

Jason Pumphrey likes this.
  17. Jason Pumphrey

I like The Matrix and all, but:
    I want my, I want my, I want my Rod Stewart cd..., lol!

18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

It's a nice set. I got the redux version when it came out (maybe 5-10 years ago) in the clear fatbox with slipcase. £9.99. Warners did the same with some other big box sets (Fleetwood Mac, Buffalo Springfield)....they're great.

EG.

Jason Pumphrey likes this.
  19. Jason Pumphrey

I got the original FM Chain box, good stuff, nice set!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow, that is crazy.

I'd still complain about the CDR crap but I understand if you are afraid that will put you in a "complainer" category & lose your account, we are just poor victims of Amazon's ill & undefined policies & are at their mercy. I say eff 'em though. Send me a CDR copy instead of the real thing with no warning of that unacceptable deception & I am going to complain & want my $ back. If you ban me so be it.

Eric_Generic and Jason Pumphrey like this.
  21. Jason Pumphrey

They (Amazon) could make it so easy by clearly stating they are selling the cd as a CD-R on the description page in print that I can clearly read without needing a magnifying glass, or in a well hidden area of the description.
    Its so simple.

BluesOvertookMe and slipkid like this.
  22. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Amazon's attitude really does amaze me sometimes. I'm a borderline "blacklisted" customer now, apparently, although I have a good rapport with CS and can/will back up my complaints with evidence and details. But you never know what, or when, will be the tipping point with their algorithms.

I paid £22 for a boxset this week, and it was sent in a flimsy A3 card mailer, that arrived with one end busted up and bends all along the sides. Unsurprisingly, the item itself had a huge dent in it, and the spine was a mess. What to do? I'm not going to accept that, so I asked for a replacement. They don't treat customers with enough respect. Or their products.

EG.

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Definitely, it is the whole issue IMO. Just let us know what we're getting so we can decide if we want to settle for a CDR copy, or look elsewhere and get the "real" thing. Instead they make it hard to know (there used to be ways to tell if you knew where to look for things like "manufactured on demand by Amazon" or however they deceptively would avoid the term CDR) but in recent years that type of description is not even there. Hell I bought a "limited edition" hard to find CD there only to receive a CDR copy from them (which I complained about, the customer rep agreed it was wrong & said it was just a simple mistake that they sent the wrong thing, he initiated another shipment for me which would be the real thing, only to send me the exact same CDR crap with copied artwork etc, so I complained again.....sheesh...). And when I tried to post a warning about it on as a customer review on their page - they deleted it!! Along with any other CDR listing/warning I tried to post about. Think we talked about this earlier in this thread or another one, to warn others you have to post a positive review and not mention the CDR word, but try to explain that somehow such that their review overlords miss the reference. That is insane.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  24. Jason Pumphrey

And my replacement copy just arrived, with another 4k copy of The Matrix where disc four should be, my bet is the whole batch is screwed up.

Eric_Generic and croquetlawns like this.
  25. Jason Pumphrey

Just looked on Amazon it claims that Rubber Soul (2009 remaster) is on a CD-R, that would be hard to duplicate, especially since it comes in a digipak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.