Received your "Pre-order" 2014 Beatles Mono vinyl records from Merchbar and/or Udiscover?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe spagnatti, Oct 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

I don’t understand why this is a “myth”

George Martin, and all of the Beatles have made comments preferring the mono mixes.

This is even taken to the extreme that in 1987, when mono was absolutely dead and considered completely inferior to stereo. The first four Beatles albums were issued in mono despite the fact that they all had stereo mixes

If you still think this is a myth after that, that’s your opinion and you are denying facts

saborlord123 and Man at C&A like this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with preferring the stereo mixes. I love the 1965 Help! and Rubber Soul stereo mixes with all their wonkiness.

To say The Beatles preferred the stereo mixes up to 1967 just because you like them is just saying something for the sake of it, with next to no evidence to back it up or context. It's well established they liked the mono mixes. It doesn't mean they totally hated the stereo ones, though John did dislike the stereo Revolution.

3. Yeah most people out in the civilian world either don't know or don't care about mono records. They just want to buy a Beatles record and would be confused. My guess is when the monos were available, many just bought whatever was in the bin. A small percentage actually understand the mono thing.

Even as a first generation fan, I only wanted stereo from Rubber Soul on. It wasn't until the 70s that I saw the listening value in mono and went back and picked them up.

4. It's not that it's a myth it is that most music buyers don't know that and really don't care. Forums like this don't represent the majority of folks who listen to music.

5. Side one of the Stereo UK Help (especially with these reissues) is far better than the mono. Something is wrong with side one of the HELP! mono reissue

OptimisticGoat and Man at C&A like this.
  6. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Ok, I will make a three exceptions to the rule. The rule being from 1962 to 1968 the mono mixes were definitive

Thank You Girl
    From Me To You
    Help (The Entire Album)

These are all examples where the a fold down of the stereo is more definitive than the original mono

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The original sounds pretty much the same. I don't know how it ended up like that.

Alex Zabotkin and Mazzy like this.
  8. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

To me Beatles for Sale and Help sound much better in stereo. White album sounds better in stereo too, except for certain songs that sound better in mono, at least for me.

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

I figured that was going to happen... Wonder if radio stations will start playing the remixes instead of the originals...

OptimisticGoat and Man at C&A like this.
  10. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I can't see why grown men don't understand that not everyone's expenses are the same and that there's no harm in a repress so that everyone has a chance to enjoy this set regardless if they had to wait years to save for them (or a TT set-up for that matter).

11. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Brazil has you covered.

12. joe spagnatti

joe spagnatti Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    ispace and maui jim like this.
  13. gckcrispy

gckcrispy Forum Resident

I did receive my copy of the mono "Help!" However, today, I received a notice that my "Hard Day's Night" order is being canceled, and I'm getting a free "Abbey Road" anniversary picture disc and anniversary standard-edition vinyl to compensate me.

So, I got "Help!" but not "Hard Day's Night" or "Sgt. Pepper." One out of three is better than nothing.

And thank God, I can now put all of this to rest!

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  14. ATMP

ATMP Forum Resident

Just got the same note but in my case it was cancelling both Help! and AHDN. I randomly came across a sealed copy of AHDN in the meantime for $13 and have been a bit put off by some of your reviews of sound quality of Help! so I guess I’m not entirely devastated, but what a frustrating experience all around!

15. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

I had an order in for the mono HELP and AHDN. Never received either. I picked up a nice copy of AHDN a few weeks ago. So only missing Help - just not willing to pay the prices people are asking for it but will keep my eyes open. I also got the following from udiscover today:

Unfortunately, we are no longer able to fulfill your order of the A Hard Day's Night (Mono LP), and Help! (Mono LP). We apologize for the inconvenience. You have been refunded for this item and the applicable taxes + shipping costs.

As a token of our apology, we are going to send you a copy of Abbey Road Anniversary Edition (1LP Picture Disc), as well as a copy of the Abbey Road Anniversary Edition (1LP) at no cost! You will receive a shipment confirmation email once it's on the way.

16. Well in the case of HELP is does kind of matter when the MONO HELP doesn't sound great on side one and the stereo sounds better. It's a warning or at the very least a suggestion to not spent a ton of money on a mono version of that one title.

Tips like these are an important part of the discussion..IMHO

DRM and Szeppelin75 like this.
  17. joe spagnatti

No argument, BUT this is NOT the thread for it...this is about the debacle we're dealing with trying to get the albums we ordered 3 months ago and haven't received so much as 1 informative word about why (or when or if) these albums would be shipped...AGAIN, this thread is not about arguing "mono vs. stereo."

18. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I am sure that all of us sincerely hope and pray that you eventually receive these albums, most importantly so that we never have to see this thread again.

Ever.

Aftermath, Brendan K and ispace like this.
  19. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Btw not clear on your preference re: mono vs. stereo, could you opine on this?

20. joe spagnatti

No one's forcing you to look.

21. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Easy for you to say....
    [​IMG]

pscreed likes this.
  22. fab432

fab432 “To the toppermost of the poppermost, Johnny!”

I don’t believe UMG owns Apple Records!

23. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

Well, I ordered Sgt Pepper and AHDN, so I got neither. Apparently I will get the Abbey Road picture disc, as others have noted. Not really the same.

24. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The mono myth survives.

25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think it's a good gesture to give the Abbey Road records for free. They didn't have to do that.

fmfxray373 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.