Receiver audio channel issues

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BryanA-HTX, May 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor Thread Starter

Hello all

I've been having issues with my black Toshiba receiver which I use for my turntable (U-Turn Orbit). The sound, at random seems to pan hard to the right and will have to re-center it by throwing the balance almost all the way to the left. Then it'll come back, again at random. Even if I switch the audio cables (R/W) it's the same exact thing, so it is definitely something in the receiver that is causing issues. Sometimes it won't "re-center" and I say that in quotes because it was never truly centered to begin with, with the audio being slightly to the right.

I only paid about $25-ish for the receiver, so should I just get a new one? Or is this an easy fix? Is this a common problem with older receivers as well (I think this is late '80s/early '90s... still has phono pre-amp) and what are some recommended brands I should look for? I'm thinking it'll be better and cheaper in the long run to just replace it.

If the exact name of the receiver is necessary info, I'll try to get it by the end of the day.

Thanks!

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Lots of factors, here. First, what is your budget for another receiver? Does it need to be a receiver or can it just be an integrated amp?

As for troubleshooting, there is little you could do. Try a different input if another one is available.

To fix this would cost you the time and expertise of a tech which will, I'm assuming, be much more than what this receiver actually is worth.

3. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

If all you spent was $25.00 I would buy a new one. accessories4less has both 2 channel and 5.1 receivers for under $200.00 (I saw a Yamaha 2 ch for $99.00). Good luck!

BryanA-HTX likes this.
  4. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor Thread Starter

I haven't looked at integrated amps. Do they usually allow for control of treble, bass and balance? And as for budget, hopefully not above $80-$100.

5. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I'd just get another used receiver. Thrift stores, etc.

6. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

Often when the sound will not "center" between the speakers,
    the problem can be cured by cleaning the A-B speaker selector buttons...
    Unplug the unit, blast some contact cleaner in there, and work the buttons a bit...

hth,
    SC

7. rfs

rfs Forum Resident

I would suspect the balance pot myself. Try giving it a shot of DeOxit fader F5.

8. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

If the sound suddenly pans to one side, I'd find it surprising if the cause was a static mechanical part like the buttons or balance pot. More likely some transistor getting intermittent? Doesn't hurt to try though! Easy enough to work the buttons a bunch and swipe the pot left-right-left-righ repeatedly.

Otherwise, Craigslist, or $99 new sure sounds great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.