Receiver needs servicing..........hope I don't have to replace it

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Pinhead, Aug 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OhHiMahk

OhHiMahk The search function is your friend

Recapping the receiver usually is more power supply focused, so bass could tighten up. That is unlikely to affect brightness. However the new transistors might improve overall clarity throughout the entire range which might initially be confused with brightness but really isn’t. Keep in mind that after you get it back it might take a day or two to settle in (and your ears adjust), but I think you should really be pleased.

Tullman, patient_ot and The Pinhead like this.
  2. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

^^^^^^ This.

I had my Pioneer SX-1010 recapped last year by a highly qualified professional tech who only works on vintage Marantz, Pioneer, HK, etc. as well vintage guitar amps and instruments. To be clear, he called recapping "repairing" not "restoring". The guy is so slammed that it took over two months to get to it and finish. When I picked it up he said I was going to immediately notice a big improvement in the bass. He was spot on. Tightened but more pronounced. As for the overall sound, it sounded like a new 1010. It was the same big Pioneer sound and clear throughout the ranges. Yo-Yo Ma's solo cello on "Six Evolutions" vinyl is ridiculously clean and tight, and Phil Lesh's bass on the Dead's "Cornell '77 " vinyl box set is just so big but not boomy or bloated. I've been using Pioneer amps since 1977. I know the house sound. Do it!

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Every old receiver I've ever heard (a whole bunch) that hasn't been recapped sounds like mud to me. I'd be in favor of the job if it is done correctly. Good luck with whatever you decide.

OhHiMahk and timind like this.
  4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL Thread Starter

It's been already gutted and in the works now. Thanx everyone !:righton:

Tullman likes this.
  5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL Thread Starter

Well fellas; the tech is fully recapping the unit as I type here. Final cost U$ 300 including all of the source and pre transistors, 2 switches that are partially faulty replaced, and all of the others cleaned, inspected and lubed. The other tech did such a number on it, it took the new one 2 days to undone it (although you can expect every tech to diss the previous tech's works, in this case it's fully justified)

The unit will be ready by the end of this month. Thanks to everyone who convinced me into doing it, with solid arguments; sometimes one needs opinions before getting off the fence on sensible matters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.