Recent used vinyl price increases: what are the most surprising titles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rain_king, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Forum Resident

I think country is making a comeback. Seeing less in the bargain bins. Jazz? What jazz.

2. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

I've never stopped buying even when vinyl was being phased out. (I'm 54.)
    It was nothing, back in the late 80's and 90's to come home, after Yard Sailing, with 200 or 300 lps.
    I' sell at shows and have a booth at a local flea market, too. The reason, that old quarter pound philosophy; sell 3, get yours free!
    Where I'm leading with the above, is that I price records very affordable to keep 'the youngsters' in the hobby.
    For example, I've tons of Beatle lps and always go way below market value on those. That goes for 70's pressings as well.
    Rumours, NM, 15 bucks, same with others.
    What I sell, I use to buy more records!
    I

zongo, ARK, ODShowtime and 3 others like this.
  3. Slim Pickins

This came to me in a stack of my records my brother pulled from storage after 30 some years. My son will like it.

4. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Yacht rock, I presume?

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Except on lucky days, the only jazz bargains I usually see are mellow stuff like Wes Montgomery with strings, Brubeck, Oscar Peterson, and fusion like Tom Scott or the Crusaders. And even those often in beat up copies.

6. rain_king

rain_king Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is this true? I found an almost NM copy at a local store maybe 2 years ago for something like $3. I know that album had somewhat of a resurgence several years ago when (I think) Animal Collective name dropped it, but I didn't realize it was a pricey record now.

7. Leugi

Leugi Forum Resident

Exactly and sales of the Smiths and their ilk weren’t that much before LPs were phased out…these albums that now are so valued we’re lucky to make the top 200 albums chart… 100,000 sales would have been huge… of that a majority would be tapes etc

there just aren’t that many of them out there…

8. rain_king

This is a great example of a number of interesting economic things going on--the new LP actually goes for less (inflation adjusted) than it did new in the '90s, despite the massive vinyl revival that has taken place, which has generally raised prices across the board. Meanwhile the original '90s LP, in decent shape, will cost you probably $80 right now, and at the same time the '90s CD--which cost significantly more than the record when first released--can probably be had for only a few bucks.

420JJJazz666 likes this.
  9. Slim Pickins

The reissue lost its textured cover.

10. Slim Pickins

I like shopping at bandcamp when I buy a record. Flac download included. It will always be there. File the record away.

11. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Those "Dancettes" look scary, though out of about 50-60 Y/B Parlophones that I have, maybe 10 play slightly distorted on certain tracks and only two or three have worn grooves and sound distorted all the way. Go figure :).

12. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Wow, this has gotten up there. I've got one of the late reissues they're trying on at £50, I got it years ago new at a normal import price, maybe $12 or so. The Discogs price curve on that one (blue labels) is something to see, especially when you consider the time scale.

13. Slim Pickins

Boogie is going to make a comeback. Did I just say that?

mstoelk likes this.
  14. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

I was just checking some of my collection. One stood out, which was In Sides by Orbital which is going for hundreds of pounds now. Wow.

Orbital - In Sides

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

A local store in Chicago is selling a VG- original LP of the Crosby record for $24.99 and a WLP for $39.99. It might be that not every shop knows of the album's improved reputation though.

16. rain_king

I'm seeing VG+ first pressings on Discogs for $6. Granted, VG+ can mean anywhere from "pretty much near mint" to "unlistenable" depending on the seller. Still, there are so many available at $15 or under, I don't think it would be hard to find a VG+ in the "pretty much near mint" category with a few minutes of feedback research. I understand some people don't want to deal with the hassle, and there's really nothing better than walking into a record shop and finding something you want--but still, $25 for pretty much any VG- record (aside from obvious rarities or otherwise very valuable things) is outrageous to me.

To be fair, NM originals start at close to $30, which does surprise me a bit.

caravan70 likes this.
  17. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I had one today!

I was logging my 7" singles collection into Discogs, been doing it piecemeal over years...

Anyway, I find my copy of "Paper plates" by M.I.A is now fetching £100 corps deblimey!

18. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Tears for Fears Songs from the Big Chair is the one that gets me. This album sold in the millions just in the US alone, and yet the NM- copies on Discogs all have asking prices north of $40. I got my NM copy used for $1.99 from Record and Tape Traders in Towson, MD. But I guess the world was a different place 15 years ago.

Queezma, idledreamer, ARK and 5 others like this.
  19. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

Anything that sold more than 5 million and cost over $15

20. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

The pricing of vintage vinyl is also dependent on where you live...I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex which still supports many record and used physical media shops.

Competition is beneficial for the consumer.

I sympathize with those that only have one or two stores that sell vinyl in a 100 mile radius.

caravan70, 4-2-7 and c-eling like this.
  21. Love Is Like Oxidation

Love Is Like Oxidation Forum Resident

I've seen people at the flea market trying to get $20 for Moodies records.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like them, but there seems to be no shortage of most of their records and the price increase seems more like a misunderstanding of the market. Then again, if people pay it, I guess that's what the records are worth.

22. Love Is Like Oxidation

Another example I just thought of, the Day Of The Dead soundtrack. This is, of course, the soundtrack to the third movie in George Romero's series that began with Night Of The Living Dead.

About ten or fifteen years ago, a guy had multiple cases of these at a local flea market and I bought five for a dollar each. I gave four away over the years. I guess I should have bought all of them, as the cheapest one on discogs is $20. It's not even a particularly good or noteworthy record.

23. Love Is Like Oxidation

Indeed. I recently bought a copy of How Dare You that was close to mint for $8.

24. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I'm pretty confident I've paid less than $5 (each) for my entire vinyl Moody Blues collection...excluding my MFSL of Days Of Future Passed.

I remember buying my Nautilus pressing of The Threshold Of A Dream for $4.

25. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

You can put $5 on Moody Blues albums at a record show and they'll sit. Too common...like Chicago albums.