Recent used vinyl price increases: what are the most surprising titles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rain_king, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Yep...I think it's high time for me to put my entire collection on Discogs.

Sean, lazydawg58, Joti Cover and 2 others like this.
  2. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

Their first one is certainly inching up there. I picked up a couple clean Piros copies for others for $3 as recently as two years ago, but I’m seeing them for between $8-$12 now.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  3. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Did you spring for the UHQR?

4. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Oh I know. I love mine too. I really love it when I check with the antique shop owner (she writes down the titles that sell for me) and see that Bad Co., Marshall Tucker, Jackson Browne, etc. records sold that month. Then I know that some really good music ended up in someone's hands that it either brought back great memories for (Boomers like me) or was the introduction to great music (teenagers that come in and spend their allowance) that wasn't an artist that everyone was talking about.

5. artsiistra

artsiistra Forum Resident

I was surprised seeing a Fleetwood Mac Mirage lp price tagged at $30 in the used bins. That was an $8 record back a couple years ago. No thanks...

Sean and hi_watt like this.
  6. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I'm only putting up albums I will never listen to again and they generally sell pretty quickly. I had too many dups and upgrades. The well is drying up though on stuff I don't want to keep.

Yes, but very late in the game after almost everyone had their copy and said their piece. And after I street-hustled $100. I have a tri-color pressing and that has to stand for something. Also, I bought the sold 2014 as a backup to the 2010 when it was $12 on Amazon. I've only spun the UHQR once so far. Anyone wants to talk about the crazy prices, let's talk about the Axis UHQR. $500! My precious tri-color Santa Maria only cost a 5th of that, and it stands up.

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

With all due respect, no, a good cleaning does not produce quiet records in abundance. It's a crap shoot at best.

8. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I’ve been working on this. I’ve done about 1100 titles so far but I have 2000-3000 to go. It’s a daunting task to identify the exact pressing as closely as possible, then there’s the grading. Gives me a headache.

I’m not doing this to sell anything. Just in case anything happens to the records (fire, flood, tornado?) or me. Maybe insurance would be more amicable if there where a list of all titles and what they’re going for. In the event of my demise, maybe my wife wouldn’t just sell them all in a garage sale.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  9. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I miss doing this so much. Immersing yourself in your collection is a better way to spend time than thinking about the world around us.

Give me another pile of 1,000 dusty records (cool ones) and let me clean and catalog them.

51IS, caravan70, Trace and 5 others like this.
  10. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

That tri is a damn fine piece of musical antiquity...I wish mine was cleaner.

I don't want to sell my collection, just want it cataloged in case something happens

ODShowtime likes this.
  11. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

That may have been so, but many of the local shops here in the latter half of the 80s - even the big chain stores, like Wherehouse - were very well-stocked with Smiths LPs. In 1987–88, where I lived, it would've been incredibly easy to hop down to a local shop and pick up a brand new copy of Louder Than Bombs for $12. I still remember in late autumn, 1987, at a Wherehouse, seeing a stack of copies of LTB displayed on a shelf on the wall, just above the aisles, in addition to the copies in the aisles. (Same for New Order's Substance.) So, even if people were preferring cassettes or CDs by that point, a decent amount of LPs were still being pressed and stocked.

12. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I here ya.

13. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

That’s true but magic eraser usually does.

14. Dylan75

Dylan75 Forum Resident

Haha, I had been looking into getting into vinyl again after I lost most of my previous collections in too many moves. As I probably said it a few times too much my wife ordered a Crosley whatever model for my birthday. I came to find out before receiving the gift and ever since I was thinking of how I could get rid of it and finding another setup. Almost lost some sleep over it. Can you imagine how happy I was when I opened the package on my birthday and found out it was broken?!
    I retuned it less than 24h later and the week after I got myself a Project TT with Quad amplifier and Warfedale speakers.

Dewey M, Peja11, lazydawg58 and 3 others like this.
  15. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Oh you mean put it in Discogs like cataloging, not selling? I highly recommend you catalog your collection on Discogs.

Just in terms of knowing exactly what I do and do not have, it helped fill in so many holes. And it showed me the dups, which are money in the bank right now.

Let's be honest, right now is the time to sell the whole collection for maximum value. But I'm not doing that. Find out what you don't need and sell that stuff!!!

And when you go to the record store you'll always know exactly what you have so you don't buy it again. And you'll know what you don't have to zero in on.

Jgirar01 and Dr. Funk like this.
  16. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Friends don't let friends use a Crosley!

phillyal1 and lazydawg58 like this.
  17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Taylor Swift has repped Joni, and I think Joni’s recent Archive Series and Kennedy Center Award have also raised her visibility with younger listeners. Her vintage LPs are clearly sought after. I would agree that, for twenty years, the single greatest bargain in vintage vinyl has been the catalogs of Linda Ronstadt, Carly Simon, Carole King, etc. During the great vinyl liquidation of the 90s, I bought all of their classic 70s albums for between $2 and $5 a pop, and I don’t really think prices for most 70s singer/songwriters outside of Joni have risen all that much.

phillyal1 and lazydawg58 like this.
  18. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

It was $12.99 as of Saturday in the "new arrivals" at my local. You might have an owner trying to gouge there.
    Same local sells Tango for about $20 typically, Rumours usually the same or higher. Those are the two that go for bucks. (Although I think Tusk is becoming a $20 record, which is crazy cuz 8 years ago you could find basically unplayed copies everywhere, and owners were lucky to get $6-8.)
    I picked up S/T from him for just $10 the other day, which is a good price now. Thought it was a 2-sided KENDUN, turned out to just be Side 2. Same as the NM one I already have. (Those double KENDUNs are elusive!)

19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Once you’ve paid $20 for your common-as-dirt copy of Rumours, where you gonna go next? To Tusk and Mirage, that’s where.

ARK likes this.
  20. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Take a look at the prices for Woofer, Indiscrete, Propaganda. I would love to own these on vinyl but I won't pay these prices. Need to pray for a box set.

21. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

U2’s Rattle & Hum and R.E.M.’s Green were still widely available on vinyl in chain record stores in 1988. 1989/90 was when the majors really began to try to shift the market 100% to CD.

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Isn't magic eraser digital?

23. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Bought them all recently. Never paid more than 15€ for any.

(Oh yeah, Kimono My House, too).

24. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Before we all talk about what an idiot this guy is for paying $30 for a CARS RECORD (!?!?!?).....
    If it's the first press with RTB STERLING in the deadwax (not a reissue, not a club copy) and it's in NM condition, then:
    1) That's a damn fine sounding record, and that mastering DESTROYS the MoFi, which is now going for $75 or so.
    2) That's as cheap as any NM copy on Discogs right now.

Cuz I just checked. Two of them at $29.99. Plus shipping (which this guy didn't have to pay). Every other NM copy is $40 or higher.

I get that Cars vinyl used to be cheap and plentiful. So did Fleetwood Mac. So did Zeppelin. So did Steely Dan. And now it's not. Kinda the point of this thread!

25. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I just checked Discogs for NM prices... That's a little insane. Ton of VG+ copies cheap, but probably not clean. We used to have 3-4 copies of that in the used bins at all times about 10 years ago, never priced over $5.
    But maybe all the early '70s rock is getting pricey? I bought the first two Chicago albums, basically NM, for a buck apiece around 2015 or so. I feel like those are closer to $10-15 now.