Recent used vinyl price increases: what are the most surprising titles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rain_king, Jun 22, 2022.

1. GimiSomeTruth

GimiSomeTruth Forum Resident

Point is? I’ve found $200-500 records for fifty cents, many times. I don’t see how this is relevant to what things are selling for in the current market.

Tommyboy and ndoheny like this.
  2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I’m referring to listings with a high reserve price and a “make an offer” option.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  3. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I'm seeing them sell for $5-$10 in the current market. I pick up these type albums often for $3 or less wholesale and sell them for $6. I see them at retailers for $10 or less.

4. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I read the 'rules' on the internet ~ somewhere. It might of been on their internet sales. Just ran across them once. Just read the parts I was interested in. I don't have the site address but it should be easy to find - 'Goodwill Rules & Regulations' or something like that.

It's 'in-house' against the rules to 'separate stuff' in the back, in the back dock/receiving room, for your friends, family, or yourself. But items can be separated to sell online.

From Jan to Nov 2019 I found 300+, M- actual vinyl, excellent titled LPs for $1 each in 5 selected/specific Goodwills that always seemed to have great albums.. Then in mid-Dec 2019 -- good albums were non-existent - totally over - the end. Something is going on!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  5. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

As far as Goodwill is concerned, you can’t rule out that someone either won an auction online or completed a buy it now item and arranged to pick it up at the Goodwill holding the item. I did that once and it saved me shipping costs. The availability of desirable vinyl at Goodwill stores - or any thrift for that matter - hinges largely on the knowledge of the store manager. Someone who knows the value of various titles or will take the time to filter their inventory, will not typically have anything on the floor worth your time.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  6. GimiSomeTruth

GimiSomeTruth Forum Resident

well I’m giving you a pro tip that you’re selling them below wholesale . That is, unless you are selling G+ copies. Here are the recent discogs sales of the Cars debut, PRC-W pressing.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/history/190219

7. lazydawg58

I'm not trying to make a living, just spreading the vinyl joy at a reasonable price in a crazy world. I buy lots of records like this that have G+ jackets but VG to VG+ vinyl after I clean them up. So about $6 is reasonable. I could probably get $10 but it's simpler to mark them all at one price. There will be other records that sell for $2 to $4 on discogs and they are $6 too, so it evens out. :pineapple:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    Telemark likes this.
  8. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

The price of vintage vinyl has an urban/rural factor associated with it. You can get the same title in the same condition for significantly less at a rural location than you can in a city. Which means if you really want to maximize profit, you go out into the flyover country and buy it and then you take it into the big cities and sell it. Discogs knows nothing about population density.

A professional will try to squeeze as much out of a title as possible, a hobbyist is just trying to cover expenses and enjoys knowing buyers appreciate them. Anyway, it’s just a thought. Your stuff is only worth what someone will pay for it no matter what discogs says it’s worth. But it’s a starting point. Classic rock seems to have been most affected by the increases.

PH416156, Jeepster39 and lazydawg58 like this.
  9. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I know record guys who have worked at Goodwill in the past. When I asked them if there aren't rules against employees intercepting merchandise for themselves or friends their response was as follows:
    [​IMG]

At least back then there were enough decent records to go around even after employees and e-commerce got their piece. Not so anymore.

ARK and bluesky like this.
  10. lazydawg58

Exactly!

11. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

I had some lp’s I saved from childhood, but most were thrown or given away with each move to another house.

I’ve come back into the game pretty late (2018), but I could still scoop up fun titles for 3 euros. I’m not a serious collector, I just buy what sounds good or is fun to me. Mostly 80’s stuff.

These titles crept up to 5 euros and are now 8-12 euros. I find myself going along with it, but not enjoying it as much. Buying used vinyl is tricky and you have to account for some duds and those start to weigh more and more as prices increase.

I’ve slowed down recently and been amazed at:
    A) prices asked by stores and regular folks alike
    B) the ‘deals’ (in the current market) that can still be found, but it takes time and patience. Like my wallet, those I have less and less off.

12. Speedmaster

To the TS, a surprising title? Tracy Chapman’s ST seems to skyrocket lately.

I saw it for 50,- euros last week. I have no idea why. She records digital. That’s why I always bought her stuff on cd.

13. pat mcgrath

pat mcgrath Forum Resident

No,we are open.16 Harvard Ave. Allston, Ma. 02134 617-549-5067

caravan70, ARK and Tullman like this.
  14. pat mcgrath

pat mcgrath Forum Resident

In the old firehouse actually.

ARK likes this.
  15. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Leaves me wondering too. The CD is great. Have a GDR Amiga vinyl pressing too, which ist not too bad, but inferior to the CD.

Speedmaster likes this.
  16. human riff 999

human riff 999 Forum Resident

Seems like you could find stuff cheap in those out of the way places...that were cool....I have found great bootlegs box sets color vinyl etc for great prices.....heres one I have told before but worth repeating will shorten it. Was at Labor Day traditional show 1993, Hillsville Gun and Antique Show in Hillsville VA (no you never heard of it, town or event...not surprising)...so me and good friend are looking for stuff...him cut glass me vinyl of course. I hit this table and guy has normal rock stuff..but a couple catch my eye..... he has an English Axis on Track...nice clarifoil cover....and I see an American Axis....open it to look at vinyl....its a Axis White Label promo.....I might have fallen down.....I get 2 or 3 records...he says $15...me to myself..do I tell him about this? no he should know. That was quite a find....do not know value, but have read enough articles to know there are not many. What a find...need to have it looked at before I die....never played it...just look at it...and wonder.

Boy the new stuff is expensive..or seems so......The Stones in Mono on color vinyl...$450....but at $28.12 per record not bad. Macca singles...80...7.4 per single not bad....I just do not have$450 or $611..All Things Must Pass was crazy at $1000..as an appraiser, a nice paying gig.....its taken a huge hit thanks to many things govt here in US has done....so i'm on the sidelines regarding buying....no BF for me...unless I go to look....it looks like it will be cold so I will stay home and stay warm.

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, the Tracy Chapman albums were $1 bin stuff for years. Now they're gold.

Speedmaster likes this.
  18. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Latest head scratcher for me was an open copy of Jeffrey Osborne's "Stay With Me Tonight" for $33.00 at Graveface Records. I even checked Ebay while I was there and copies were up for five bucks and not selling.

mosogotamravip likes this.
  19. human riff 999

human riff 999 Forum Resident

Theres got to be stuff out there just sitting...that people dont know about....love to find some cheap...and I would be fair....but know your song well before you start singing....Thanks Bob D......yet at 65 I have gotten to the point where I have to pick and choose what I want...can afford...and more important...do I need?....I got El Mocambo....and there is some stuff I do want....Hendrix fan...need the new release....and I am not a Macca follower...have a couple lps....but the singles box would greatly interest me....again not a giant fan....but I do like a lot of his songs/singles....and he certainly has surpassed his former bandmates regarding success....yes George and John are gone....RIP good people both of them....but they were not close to Maccas success.....Ringo has do well....but none are even remotely close to Paul. I still look at stuff every time I see it....but its hard to find stuff cheap like back in the day.

20. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Is there a website that alerts people to commons worth gold now?

21. Haystacks500

Haystacks500 Forum Resident

Linda Ronstadt- Canciones de mi Padre.
    80 to above 100 these days.

lazydawg58 and phillyal1 like this.
  22. rain_king

rain_king Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah Tracy Chapman s/t one that's a bit mysterious to me. Not a cult band, not a rare album, not a style that seems all that hip or influential nowadays. I think she was sampled by someone big a few years back but that alone can't really explain it.

As a recording it's great (I'm not a huge fan of the music itself but that record does sound very good), but there are lots of well-produced albums in the dollar bin. Why is TC a $50 record right now?

23. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I donate records and CDs occasionally -- my collection could use a little pruning now and then

24. Speedmaster

She hasn’t made a new album for years. I’d pay $50 for a new album (Tracy, hope you read this!)

25. downloadsofist

downloadsofist Forum Resident

This album had a resurgence in popularity in the past few years, especially among younger people, I think in part because it has a political stance that speaks to the times. And there weren’t a ton of LPs pressed way back when — CDs were completely dominant by 1988. So the vinyl copies that survived are now worth good money.