Recently bought a Pro-ject Debut Carbon

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ToxicSoundtracks, Jan 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToxicSoundtracks

ToxicSoundtracks Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi everyone

can someone recommend good rubber feet that isn’t too much money? Btw what is this about hum I heard? Has this been corrected yet? Is it that noticeable? I have a ikea kallax and I was able to get my at lp120 platter level using a torpedo level suggested by a friend. Thanks in advance.

2. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

3. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

I have the ground it isolation platform, think it was $200 used. As for feet, you can use these little foam blocks people swear by if you don't want an isolation table. or isoacoustics makes a line of fairly reasonable "pucks". I do get a hum if i turn up my preamp around 25% on my Mcintosh - but i have a VPI TT. sold my pro-ject. no idea what causes the hum, some interference but since it happened with my last McIntosh preamp, it's definitely not the preamp...

ToxicSoundtracks likes this.
  4. Helom

Helom Forum member

The hum is from the motor. To my knowledge, Pro-Ject hadn't corrected the issue before releasing the Debut's replacement. There are many threads on this. I believe one owner even sawed his table in two to eliminate the noise and still wasn't 100% successful.

5. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

It seems like if you get a Pro-Ject that doesn’t have the motor vibration, all is well. Nice, quiet turntable.

dman23, vinnn, Lucca90 and 2 others like this.
  6. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Yep...appears to be a small percentage with mechanical hum....these things take on a life of their own thanks to the internet:/

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    vinnn and ToxicSoundtracks like this.
  7. ToxicSoundtracks

I see there is some adjustable feet on Amazon. Anything on there that u guys can recommend? Im looking for something not high end cause i spent much of my money i have till middle of next month when i get paid. But something that will get the job done and last.

8. Helom

Helom Forum member

Might be that the motors don't play nice with every owner's electrical service. The SpeedBox did reduce the noise a bit when I owned one. My Carbon was a non-DC.

SBurke and ToxicSoundtracks like this.
  9. ToxicSoundtracks

would a acrylic platter get rid of the hum? i plan on purchasing one in the near future.

10. Jeff57

Jeff57 Senior Member

11. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

I meant to put this somewhere on here but never did. I've seen the fix mentioned on either sites, but don't recall it being mentioned here. I had a Project Debut Carbon for a few years with an upgraded acrylic platter and never noticed a motor hum. I had the turntable on a foam isolation stand so it may have been dampening or hiding the hum. Anyway, I basically gave away the unit to a buddy of mine (for whom it was a significant upgrade) when I upgraded my table. He noticed the hum right away and called Project. They told him that the "transport screws" should be removed completely. I never removed them because I never noticed a hum. He did so, and the hum went away. Your results may vary, but one possible solution.

Project Debut Carbon: drastically reduce motor hum with this simple tweak. : vinyl

12. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

I had one of these and tried every single suggested fix to get rid of the hum, transport screws included. Nothing worked, so just ended up giving it away.

patient_ot likes this.
  13. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

:biglaugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.