Recommend me a new/(-ish) SACD Multi-Channel AV receiver!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jerry James, Nov 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Actually maybe the Marantz NR1402 is all I need?

2. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

The outfit you are describing might also play 5.1 SACDs via HDMI if the Marantz DAC will process PCM output from the OPPO. As I understand it the Marantz has been discontinued. Another value is the Sony STR-DN1080. It has just recently been discontinued but ya might look into it.

3. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

This may sound like a dumb question, but how do I play 2-channel thru my Creek amp and 5.1 thru the AVR using the same two main left and right loudspeakers?

4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Used to own an Onkyo TX-NR818 which gave DSD over HDMI that I used with my Cambridge 752BD. Crucially, the amp delivered in excess of its rated power (120wpc for the European model, 80wpc in the US version), and I used it in two channel mode. No complaints and I think it'd still be a good buy several years on (think it's a 2013 model).

5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I need to choose either a Marantz NR1402 or a Marantz NR1504 for my AVR because they are slimline build, and anything taller won't fit in my rack. I can get each for the same price, I just don't which to choose. I only care about surround DVD-A, SACD, and Blu-Ray for its use.

6. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

If I’m reading and remembering correctly, the only feature your need to play back SACD over HDMI is a receiver with HDMI 1.3.

7. redchiro

redchiro Forum Resident

The main things to consider: If you have or are getting a new 4K TV, it will have a recent version of the HDMI interface. It is so much easier to put together a home theater that also allows music (multichannel or whatever), if your AV rcvr is new and also has the latest version of HDMI.
    Main reason for this is so you can connect all your sources via HDMI to your AV rcvr, then run just a single HDMI cable to your new TV.
    For example, if you connect one of the newer Sony 4K ultra bluray via HDMI to a new, say Marantz, AVR, the Marantz will pass the video, whether it is 4K, 1080, or regular old dvd, to the TV. You can't do that with an old AV rcvr. The Sony will play sacd, cd, movies, etc., multichannel or stereo.
    You can do the same thing with any streaming box or video game console-connect directly to your (new) AVR, and voila, you are good to go. So, match the HDMI version of your AVR to your TV.
    If you want (possibly) better 2 channel sound, assuming your left and right front speakers are good, make sure your AVR has pre-amp outputs, which you can use to connect the left and right out to a separate power amp. You can also use this option to connect to a high end integrated amp with home theater bypass, if you are really serious about better 2 channel sound. This way you can connect whatever stereo source you want, directly to your integrated amp. You still have your multichannel through the AVR and stereo thru the connected integrated amp.
    Anyway, start with a decent AVR and a new TV. Get the Sony 4k ultra bluray and you are done. Can consider other options later if desired.

RiRiIII and Jerry James like this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's going to be the tricky part. Maybe start a thread detailing what you want to do and all the associated gear that you are using. As I posted earlier preamps and integrated amps with HT Bypass make it quite simple. But your Creek amp doesn't have that feature. But that doesn't mean a work around can't be done. Good luck!

yesstiles likes this.
  9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Can we still play back 5.1 SACD with rca cables?

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Yes you can as long as the AVR you get has a 5/7.1 analog input. The Oppo 93 has a 5/7.1 analog output so you're all set there.

yesstiles likes this.
  11. redchiro

redchiro Forum Resident

The AVR should have pre-outputs (RCA connectors on the back). The ones you want are labeled right and left front.
    If using an integrated amp, like your Creek, you must have connectors on the amp labeled pre- out/ main-in or Home Theater Bypass. I use a Yamaha as-2100 integrated, which has the former. So, you connect the right/left pre-out of your AVR to the right/left main-in of your Creek (if it has them). You then connect the Creek to your speakers instead of the AVR. You would connect your 2-channel sources (CD) directly to the Creek.
    So, for a movie, you would select the main-in input on your Creek. It now sees the AVR as a source. You have to calibrate the AVR so you have equal levels across all channels, now that you are using the Creek as the amp for the front channels. You are using your AVR as a pre-amp, thus it controls volume in this mode, not the Creek. The main-in is a unity gain input and the Creek's volume control has no effect when main-in is selected on it. To listen to multi-channel music, your source would be connected to the AVR.
    To listen to 2-channel music, say CD, you must select the CD input on the Creek. Now the AVR has no bearing on anything. The Creek's pre-amp is back in the circuit. You use it as you would if the AVR did not exist.
    Hope this helps.

yesstiles and 4xoddic like this.
  12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The Creek 5350SE doesn't have a pre-out / main-in or a HT Bypass input. It has a "power amp in" and "pre-amp out" connections with jumpers in place. If the jumpers were removed wouldn't that disable the amp section of the 5350SE? Those connections look like they'd be for adding an external amp. Could one of the Tape in/out connections work as a possible HT Bypass alternative?

Speaker amp for headphones - Creek 5350SE ??

13. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Since I also want an affordable 5.1 AV receiver just for music (multi ch SACDs, BD audio), this Sony receiver (at 600 EUR offered at stores) would be a solution. But as I see it, it does not have pre-out capability for the Front speakers (since I want to drive them with my 2-ch Yamaha A-S2000).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  14. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

15. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

A question please: if one uses this slim line Mararantz only for the 2 rear L+R channels, would 2X50 W be fully dedicated to them and as such, this power is enough for e.g. a 20 sqm room? The next Marantz A/V has 2x80 at 8 Ohm and costs 200 EUR more.

16. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

That depends on what speakers you are using, how loud you like to listen, how far away from the speakers you sit etc. There are fairly good online calculators for max SPL with a given amount of power on tap.

17. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Thanks I will do it. My speakers are Proac 3.8, and the seating triangle has each side at 3,5 m.

However, am I right claiming that the power of the Marantz shall be fully dedicated to the 2 rear speakers, if the front ones will be driven by my integrated Yamaha A-S2000?

18. shug4476

Is there a centre speaker as well?

But yes, whatever power you aren't using for the fronts will be available for the rears. It depends how the power supply and power amp stage is designed, but typically you will always get higher output through two channels than five.

RiRiIII likes this.
  19. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

If I use a speaker with a senistivity of 89 dB/W/m and 20W to drive it, then the Max SPL is 102 dB.

Such 102 dB are enough for 95 dB in my room. Are they enough? I like loud but not deafening. My Yamaha A-S2000 volume never goes beyond :55

Center speaker can be but not necessarily for SACDs I suppose.

Thanks again.

20. shug4476

THX Reference Level is 105dB. I never listen at THX Reference Level as it would induce the ire of my neighbours. 102dB is fine for most purposes.

RiRiIII likes this.
  21. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

For 102dB we get that the 89 dB/W/m speakers must output 109 dB max SPL and need of 100W power. This means 2x100 at least for an A/V receiver with no other speakers connected?

22. shug4476

It depends on distance to listening position and room interactions. You probably won't be listening at 102dB either!

RiRiIII likes this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Looking at the Marantz NR1711 spec sheet it shows 50 WPC (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive). Normally the content in the surrounds in 5.1 music is not as much as a load on an amp as the front speakers. But the surrounds on 4.0 quad music does quite often present a load on an amp equal to the front speakers.

There is a section in the NR1711 manual that discusses "Amp Assign" settings (page 40). Looking quickly at the manual I didn't see mention that if only two speakers are connected that all the power of all seven amp channels are directed to those two channels. Personally I'd prefer to have more power on tap even if the NR1711 is only used for surrounds and center speaker. The lack of preouts for all channels is a bit limiting as well IMO.

NR1711

Will you be connecting a center speaker? I have quite a few 5.1 SACDs and depending on the mix the center channel is quite active.

RiRiIII likes this.
  24. shug4476

Measured spec with two channels driven usually at least matches, often exceeds, published spec.

See Paul Miller's excellent repository of bench test data.

RiRiIII likes this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have no doubt that can be true. But I've found having additional power on tap even if rarely used is best when listening at higher volume levels. Especially when listening to 4.0 quad music at higher volume levels. I'd be a bit concerned even if the power rating exceeds the published specs.

If one buys an AVR like the NR1711 and finds the power output lacking then they are limited due to the lack of a full compliment of preouts.

RiRiIII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.