Recommend me some good Stoner Rock!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Toka

Toka Active Member

Are you looking for more modern stuff? As others said, the definition of 'stoner rock' is somewhat vague (go figure). Fu Manchu and Nebula (and Kyuss and early Monster Magnet of course) are the best to check out for the 'rock' side. For the heavier, 'doom' end, you want Sleep (Dopesmoker is the end-all, be-all for the genre, in my book), Goatsnake, Sons Of OTIS, and countless more. The Mans Ruin label in its heyday was a 'who's who' of it all. I'm a veteren of several Stoner Hands Of Doom/Emissions From The Monolith fests, so I've seen the good, the bad, and everything in between.

Faust3D likes this.
  2. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Amen!

MHLumber and speedracer like this.
  3. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Ya beat me to the punch! :)

How about Union Carbide Productions? Especially the track Down on the Beach from the album In the Air Tonight.

Cheers,
    Chris

4. bellwether

bellwether New Member

Om - Conference of the Birds former members of Sleep.

berndt likes this.
  5. sjc

sjc New Member

and just in case you think he's kidding... I have had some decent luck with indy releases from stonerrock.com and they ship and pack extremely well. They also give you an entire mp3 to listen to for most releases to help with the selection. ... steve c

6. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

Amon Duul (I) even sounds listenable if you're stoned enough !!!

Icethorn likes this.
  7. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

What about Budgie? They had some great albums in the 70s. Try "In For The Kill" - Lots of Sabbath-type stuff there. :thumbsup:

ramdom likes this.
  8. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Stoner Rock

Blue Cheer
    White Witch
    Dust

9. Mr X

Mr X Forum Resident

Hmmm... I had no idea that "stoner rock" was heavy metal.

I would have picked something more like what I'm listening to right now - In Search of the Lost Chord by the Moody Blues. Or Cream's Disraeli Gears.

MHLumber and Jim G. like this.
  10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Same here - at first I was thinking "I Did It" from the Dave Matthews Band (curious? just listen to the lyrics :D)

11. sjc

sjc New Member

Thanks to the ever widening gulfs in popular music, you are left with all sorts of sub categories. Stoner Rock is an interesting one. While you do have some "modern" heavy metal (heavy on the riffs and cookie monster vocals) you also have some slower paced modern "southern rock" and some "space rock" a la Hawkwind. As someone who likes both Southern Rock and Hawkwind, I have found some decent bands in the genre.... steve c

12. Christopher J

Christopher J Norme Con Ironie

13. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Within my own definition of stoner rock, I'd go for the subtle psychedelia of:

Hurdy Gurdy Man, Donovan
    Aoxomoxoa, Grateful Dead
    The Bang Sessions, Van Morrison
    Electric Ladyland, Jimi Hendrix
    Mark-Almond, Mark Almond
    etc.

14. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult

dover1968, drobo and barrymcguire like this.
  15. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I cant believe it took this long!!! :righton:

berndt likes this.
  16. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

the best stoner rock i've heard in a long time (say, five or six years) is WITCH, the band fronted by J. Mascis of Dinosaur Jr. it is superb Master of Reality-era stoner rock. they have an EP on Tee Pee Records that came out last year on CD and vinyl. highly recommended if you're a fan of the genre (what is left of it, that is).

17. boyfromnowhere

boyfromnowhere Senior Member

I've never been stoned but i listened to it the other day! It's a good song!

18. jpgettes

jpgettes Senior Member

My favorite:

High On Fire - Surrounded By Thieves on Relapse.

ramdom and Ilovefooty like this.
  19. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Captain Beyond - Sufficiently Breathless
    Ted Nugent - S/T (Not "Nugent")
    Aerosmith - Rocks
    Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties
    Moxy - Ridin High
    Legs Diamond - A Diamond is a Hard Rock

20. Listen to Tull's Thick As A Brick in it's entirety; that's a good start. Then, play a few tracks from Stand Up (Also Tull). Smoke another dubie cause we know that first one is warn off by now. Then, listen to the Grateful Dead's, From The Mars Hotel listen for about half an hour. Drink some wine, chill out, then check the comedy album That's Not Funny, That's Sick (National Lampoon) cause you will want some humour to go with that musical experience. Finally, listen to Genesis's Lamb or The Stones Exile On Main Street. Many would ad some Jimmy Hendrix, Electric Ladyland and thinking of Steve Winwood (who plays on said Hendrix classic), John Barleycorn Must Die (but he should smoke some doobies first) and yes, Physical Grafitti (reading post a few above mine). Kashmir, sure, but let's not forget about the rest of this fine fine Zep outing.

The fact is any great music is worth listening to in any state; stoned or otherwise.

Pudding Effect likes this.
  21. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam

You could start with a classic. Pink Floyd, Darkside of the Moon.

Then there's the first Zepplin, another classic.

I'd go with the Stones, Exile on Main St.

That's true stoner rock.

22. slayerkc

slayerkc Forum Resident

I can't believe no one has mentioned "Trouble" classic Stoner Rock!

23. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

Leafhound - Growers Of Mushroom (trust me on this one)

Atomic Rooster - s/t and Death Walks Behind You

Budgie - any of their 1st 4 albums

all of the above are vintage early 70's sabbath/zep inspired stoneresque bands

The whole Kyuss / Fu Manchu / Queens of the Stoneage family tree are good contemporary stoner bands, although I can't recommend the last 2 Fu Manchu releases, start with King Of The Road from Fu Manchu

ramdom likes this.
  24. I like your Mott avatar..

"Marinonette, I ain't one yet, teachers pet, you better forget it!" :righton:

25. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

:agree: best of the '00s, for sure!