Recommend some good TV please.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dmiller458, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Most under the radar show on TV IMO. Season 2 was amazing. The forecast is calling for more ‘snow.’ I.e. it’s rewened for another season.

2. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Fargo series
    Rome
    Sopranos
    Game of Thrones
    Breaking Bad
    Mad Men
    I enjoyed the first three or so Downton Abbey seasons
    The first season of True Detective
    Louis CK
    Seinfeld

Robert Thomas likes this.
  3. James F. Hassan

James F. Hassan Forum Resident

4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

OK, I'm a little excited about something I just read, figured I'd share. Upthread, the show; Luther, has been recommended. A (very) gritty crime drama based in London starring superstar Idris Elba. A British production that although is about to start its 5th season, the seasons are very short so the total amount of episodes is small. Elba had finished with the Wire but hadn't done any Marvel-type work (that happened as the seasons progressed, Elba does the show because he truly loves it, not for the paycheck). One of the primary reasons for the show's superior quality was the casting of his co-star, his 'arch-enemy', Alice as played by the extraordinary Ruth Wilson. It's really their show, not his. When she took time off the show felt it. I'm psyched 'cause I just saw the 1st trailer for the new season, and a certain somebody's back! People around here are always asking for recommendations. If you haven't seen Luther, run to Netflix and get caught up before the new season starts, you'll thank me later!;)

jlocke08 and dmiller458 like this.
  5. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Five pages in and no one's mentioned "The West Wing" yet?

6. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

The Jinx - Before I watched this documentary series the only time in my life that my jaw had literally fallen open in shock was when the World Trade Centre was attacked. Happened a few times during this.
    Six Feet Under - Already been mentioned several times with good reason, including that it has the best ever final episode of anything ever :)
    Extras - I'm not sure how big this was in The US. It's so funny, clever and layered it beggars belief.
    Mayday - This was in a similar vein to the brilliant 'Broadchurch' and was overshadowed by it. This was better. (BBC 2013).
    Bodyguard - Recent UK drama/thriller. Massively popular in the UK. Don't know if it made it over the pond yet? :)
    Inside Number 9.

All the above is, of course, just my opinion :)

entropyfan likes this.
  7. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

If there was no BBC or American football I would watch very little TV.

8. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Luther is back!

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Sadly, Luther hasn't been much good for at least a couple of seasons now and I'm not hopeful about the new season...

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

PREACHER

11. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

12. dmiller458

Compared to typical American cop shows, it's brilliant.

13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The French show The Bureau is new favourite current show. Just discovered it on Sundance. Spy/Espionage. Comparable to first 3 seasons of Homeland.

“A smart and stylish spy saga; The Bureau is based upon real accounts by former spies and is inspired by contemporary events. It focuses on the "Bureau of Legends", responsible for training and handling deep-cover agents on long-term missions in areas with French interests, especially in North Africa and the Middle East. Living under false identities for years, these agents' missions are to identify and recruit good intelligence sources. The series follows intelligence officer Guillaume Debailly, (Mathieu Kassovitz) codenamed "Malotru.”

14. dmiller458

Re-watching Luther series one. Is Luther every bit as corrupt as Vic Mackey?

And I love Alice Morgan...

15. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Luther is not corrupt, just unorthodox in his methods to persue justice

16. dmiller458

In series 2, he broke a killer out of the nuthouse, threatened a protected witness, and framed a guy for murder.

17. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Plus one thousand!

Great series. I can hardly wait for season 3.

18. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I hear ya but the word; corrupt, somehow sounds almost evil. Luther's methods can be psychotic, but he's the good guy!;)

dmiller458 likes this.
  19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Vic did worse in the first episode.

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Green Acres...hysterical for all.

21. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

No. He was corrupt in his early days when he was doing some pretty shady things in East Baltimore, but he turned me around when he sacrificed himself just to hold a gate open in Asgurd.

Luther's definitely not as corrupt as Vic Mackey - if only it were that well written...

dmiller458 likes this.
  22. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Indeed! I've been rationing myself on S2. Two episodes to go. I just love everything about this show.

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Lost?
    Did you watch it?

24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I made it to somewhere in S3. Library discs were too damaged to watch. Hopefully it comes back to Netflix.

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Season 3?
    That would have got me hooked!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.