Recommendations- Building a Benny Goodman Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ponso1966, Mar 2, 2019.

1. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Well, mine is a 36205, but it has a double ring like the 25796. I'm a bit confused.

2. misterjones

Any of you Goodmanphiles have the personnel information for a song Goodman performed on (possibly with his own orchestra) called Overnight (early 1930)?

3. Discog Dave

Discog Dave Well-Known Member

The photos excellently illustrate the double / single eccentric copies.

It's an unfortunate example though: Victor 25796 is an edited dub of the original 12" Victor 36205. Made to supply jukeboxes.

4. ella_swings

ella_swings Forum Resident

Connor has two entries for recordings of Overnight:
    Nov. 7, 1930: Benny Goodman and His Orchestra/ Roxy Club Orch.; Melotone 12024/ Sunbeam 106 (no solo), vocal: "probably Scrappy Lambert". Dave upgrades "probably" to "fairly certain".
    Jan. 19, 1931: Ruth Etting; CO 2377-D, Vocal, Ruth Etting. (CO = Columbia).

Connor, R. (1988) Benny Goodman: Listen to His Legacy. Scarecrow Press: Metuchen, NJ. pp.19 & 21.
    Jessup, D. (2010) Benny Goodman: A Supplemental Discography. Scarecrow Press: Lanham, MD. pp. 9 -10.

misterjones likes this.
  5. ella_swings

For anyone interested in Goodman's Victor years, this is about* the best choice to make. Its all there, neatly packaged in one box, with quite a nice heft. Of course, if you want to convert them to digital I hope you have a few weeks!

* I only write "about" since some people no longer want to deal with vinyl and thus all the lamentations on this thread about the lack of a US CD Box set and my particular infatuation with the Japanese CD set. I'm embarrassed to confess to the number of versions and sealed copies of the Victor years studio recordings I have.

The Beave likes this.
  6. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Good points and why I really really like this thread. Between you and Misterjones and all the other contributors there is a lot of concise collectors information to help me in my Goodman journey.
    And i'm NOT a completest, but What I aim for with someone like Parker, or in this case Goodman, is a good comprehensive overview of their era's. So getting the 16 LP set and the Swing3 set and the RCA small band 3 cd set I'll be pretty much set for my education. If while digesting all of that something else seems desirable then I'll add to what I've got.
    But, geez $70 for the 16 LP's, $18 for the Small Group set and $14 for the Swing3 set, that's a lot of music for $102.
    so I'm very happy right now, and I'll be busy making cd's out of the LP set.
    Gonna be a good Fall/Winter.......
    Stay Safe everybody!
    The Beave

misterjones likes this.
  7. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

this is one of the cleanest 78's ive
    LOL!
    Don't be embarrassed, I have FOUR boxes of the Complete Keynote Jazz Recordings!! and a couple even with the hidden bonus one sided 45. All pressed on Audiophile vinyl!!
    I'm not rich money wise, but music wise.....YES!
    Beave

8. misterjones

The benefit of the thread, hopefully, is to cater to all tastes. Maybe someone is looking for a small career overview. Maybe someone else wants the best-sounding RCA Victor sides on CD or just the best Goodman LPs. Few, I suspect, will inquire about obtaining a comprehensive Goodman collection from scratch . . . but you never know.

Ridin'High and The Beave like this.
  9. ella_swings

That is true. I've been working with a chap who had one Ella Fitzgerald compilation CD and decided for whatever reason that he wanted every single vinyl record she ever made. He went from zero to obsessed in less than a year. I've been casually collecting Goodman since the late 80s but got a burst about a year and a half ago when I heard a version of Slipped Disc that I couldn't find. This led to that led to nearly every Victor 78 today.

The Beave likes this.
  10. misterjones

One of my favorite singers of the hot jazz era - Scrappy Lambert. I should have known.

I also was interested in who was playing what I thought was a trumpet, but it might very well a trombone. The pitch seems high, but the slide indicates it is a trombone. Were there various trombones during that period along the lines of bass, baritone, alto, etc? In any event, if it is a trombone (as I suspect it is), then the rather nice playing is from either Tommy Dorsey or Glenn Miller.

11. ella_swings

Tommy Dorsey

The Beave likes this.
  12. misterjones

Based on the quality of the playing, that’s what I assumed, but my information said it could have been either.

13. ella_swings

That's from Connor. No corrections in any of the subsequent versions of the bible.

14. Discog Dave

Discog Dave Well-Known Member

Excerpt from the liner notes for Jazz Oracle BDW8059 covering Goodman's Melotone series:

Overnight is again a vocalist-centered track, with Dorsey again featured – this time in the upper-register he refined and so effectively employed a few years later with his own orchestra.

As far as I know there's no studio paperwork naming names for this session. Russ Connor and Brian Rust generally agreed on the names they named; one did posit Eddie Lang versus Dick McDonough on guitar, nobody could positively call out the trumpets on aural evidence.

15. ella_swings

Oh the things one learns...
    Following up on how to tell a master from a dubbed 78 (thanks Dave):
    My B side 1947 12" version of Sing doesn't sound noticeably worse than my 1937 12" version even though the former is a dub, determined by noticing the single eccentric ring. More interestingly, I've gone back to listen to a few more 78s as I write my never-ending review and just discovered that I have a copy of VI 25115 (Circle) where the A side (Body and Soul) is a dub with a single ring and the B side (After You've Gone) is a master with a double ring. My Scroll copy is double eccentrics on both sides, as would be expected. Just another reason to prefer the Scrolls when buying anything before VI 25644/Avalon, The Man I Love. Obscurantists Unite!

16. misterjones

That's also the one I have. I have one or two others like that, as well.

17. misterjones

There's also the cassette version. I haven't had a decent cassette player in 20 years.

[​IMG]

18. ella_swings

I've seen this on eBay skipping around in price. At one point I think it was down to $12. Could you imagine how completely annoying it would be to try to find that one song in the middle of the cassette? I lived through cassettes and no.thank.you! The vinyl resurgence is awesome. 4 tracks, no way.

19. ella_swings

Finally!!!
    VI 25011 came today.
    Why was this one so hard to find? I can't even find an image to post from Discogs or eBay. I may have to figure out how to upload one to a photo service and then link.

20. ella_swings

21. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

For BG fans I have listed some LP's on Ebay .. some are still sealed go to 3rd party sales on this forum.s

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have a rare archive of Buddy Clark. May only be two sets of this in USA.

23. ella_swings

Make it three. My seller had two copies. Identical to each other although the label on the second copy was not as bright. I didn't know it was so rare.

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I was talking about an archive of all of Buddy Clark's commercial and broadcast recordings. I believe there is only one other set.

25. misterjones

Getting back to this issue, does it improve 78 sound if you take one channel (from the TT to the receiver) and split it into both L/R even if you are using a dedicated 78 cart/stylus?