Recommendations for a small good quality subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jwhitephoto, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  2. Tr00per

Tr00per New Member

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Ah. Much better! :)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

5. Joint Attention

Joint Attention Forum Resident

I have a 5" PSB sub under my desk. A good match for small bookshelf speakers and runs only about $250. I use it without a crossover and it sounds just fine.

[​IMG]

Matt Richardson likes this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Probably a stupid question but how do you buy from SVS? They have a "Learn More" button but no prices and just a link to their dealers. If one wants to get a scratched/dented sub, how do you actually get it?

bever70 likes this.
  7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yeah, that appears to be just their normal outlet stuff, though certainly it’s worth looking there for deals. I don’t see any mention of a Memorial Day sale. Am I just missing it?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Are you looking at the website linked above? There are prices as well as an “add to cart” button.

9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Is that not typical? Maybe I misunderstood, I thought they always had the scratch and dent prices.

10. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I don’t see anything 40% off, either... I must be missing something.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

He asked for a good performing small subwoofer. Those are not available for less than $300. SVS has been in business for almost 20 years. Lots of used models

12. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

An ADDITIONAL 5% off, on top of the already discounted Memorial Day pricing.

13. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I don't think this is real - it appears to be some kind of shopping referral site. There's no cart or payment options, just a link to "see deal," which goes to the amazon page, where the price is not $90

SandAndGlass and Strat-Mangler like this.
  14. Fdee

Fdee Well-Known Member

Another vote for the small SVS subs, I especially like the sealed ones. They can be found used quite resonably, and the SVS website often has B-Stock units on sale.
    It'll hold value well, and will scale up if you decide to change the speakers in the future

15. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

That’s not what the email I received said. It said UP TO 40% off.

“SVS is making it easier than ever to bring thrilling and immersive audio experiences home with up to 40% off Prime and Ultra speakers and all subwoofers in the SVS Outlet Store during the Memorial Day Weekend Blow-out Event! Shop now to get the lowest prices of the year, but only for a limited time!

Every SVS Outlet Store product is backed by a 5-year Unconditional Warranty, 45-Day In-home Trial, Fast & Free Shipping & Returns, lifetime Sound Experts service and all the guarantees of the SVS Customer Bill of Rights. Shop with confidence knowing you’re getting reference quality speakers and subwoofers with world-class support to match. Move quickly though, limited inventory means the outlet deals always sell out fast!”

16. Strat-Mangler

Yes, I'm using the same link.

After trying a couple of things, I was able to confirm it's geographically locked to US-registered IPs. Since my IP is registered in Canada, it wasn't displaying the prices nor the "Add To Cart" button. When I spoofed my IP to fool it into thinking I was using an American IP address, they both magically appeared. :)

Big Blue likes this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

SVS has 6 of one model and 9 of another in the scratch & dent section. What's going on in that factory? :laugh:

18. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Ok.. up to 40% off.. you're welcome.

19. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The OP has been provided with both Polk and Martin Logan subs as options to consider. And there are in the price range that the OP has requested.

Saying that a "good performing small subwoofer" is not available for under $300, is just your personal subjective opinion and is not substantiated by any factual basis.

The OP has stated that he has a $300 pair of speaker's. Sub's the $100 - $300 price range are more than sufficient quality to pair with speaker's in this price range.

These are recommendations, not mandates. They are posted to this thread to provide the OP with additional information that may be useful in helping to make a purchasing decision, nothing more.

Your comments serve no constructive purpose.

hifisoup likes this.
  20. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

I know it's probably just semantics in most folks' minds, but in many cases what's being talked about are not subwoofers; just an additional woofer. I'm a bit of a purist, so when a subwoofer only gets down to the mid-'40s, it's really not.

Having said that, there are of course relatively low-cost units that do go low enough to be rightly called a subwoofer.

There's no magic line in the sand as to where one ends and one begins - although there's some that you can tell, just by looking at them, that don't make it.

I can give three examples, from my own collection of in-use "subwoofers" - all from the same manufacturer, product line, and era.

The Yamaha YST-SW105 is a relatively tiny beast that is really not a subwoofer. Depending on the "High Cut" setting the low end drops off below anywhere from 40 Hz to 50 Hz. It mates beautifully with something like the Realistic Minimus-7 - handling everything below 120 Hz - creating a bass presence that is otherwise seriously lacking. And I've acquired my two for $0CDN and $20CDN respectively - thus matching the acquisition cost of the Minimus-7s ($5CDN for the last pair I bought.)

The Yamaha YST-SW80 is about the size of a good-sized "bookshelf" speaker. With the "High Cut" set at 50 Hz it starts to roll off at 40 Hz but is only ~5 dB down at ~23 Hz. So at comfortable (ie. not pushing it) volume levels it's covering all the bass that almost all music types will throw at it. I'm comfortable calling it a subwoofer. It mates really well with something like a Paradigm Titan. (I can't compare personal experience with used match-ups prices. I paid $300 for the SW80 when new, and $300 for the Titans when new. But expect to find used SW80s for $50CDN, or less, nowadays - with a little patience.)

The Yamaha YST-SW150 is basically two SW80s in size. It's a true subwoofer. With a "High Cut" setting of 40 Hz, it starts to roll off at 30 Hz and is only ~5 dB down at 20 Hz. It's capable of higher output than the SW80 and could be used with a pair of floorstanders (like the Totem Sttaf - even though the Sttaf are well above its snack bracket, even used). I bought a SW150 locally earlier this year in excellent condition for $40CDN.

I've used these three examples because, bought used, they all fall within the OP's price range, and to give a rough idea where my line in the sand is when it comes to what is legitimately a subwoofer, or not.

Jeff

Fdee and bever70 like this.
  21. Paopawdecarabao

Paopawdecarabao Forum Resident

Monolith subs by Monoprice I have a pair for my HT and absolutely love it!

Tim S likes this.
  22. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I do agree with you on what I consider to be a true sub. My sub's are set to kick in at 40-Hz. and go down from there.

But something that everyone in this thread needs to realize is that the OP's speaker's look like these.

For reference, they are 8.7" tall and have a 4" woofer. Peachtree doesn't even mention their frequency response range.

Speakers this size are usually limited to around 60-Hz, maybe 50-Hz. on a good day.

[​IMG]

All of the "subs" mentioned here, including the $129 PSW10 Polk go down to at least 40-Hz.

And, all of the subs mentioned here, would complement the "woofer's" in these Peachtree T24 wireless speaker's.

The others go way lower than the PSW10.

Sub-bass is all relative, as to what the bass limitations of the main speaker's are.

All of these are cost effective subs, as probably are the ones that you also mention.

The little 8", 75-Watt Martin Logan Dynamo 300 (refurbished $179), which I use in the bedroom with more expensive Peachtree D4 and D5 speakers goes down to 32-Hz. and nicely complements the bass on these Peachtree bookshelf speaker's.

[​IMG]

The smaller D4 is specked down to 60-Hz. at its - 3 dB. point.

Little speaker's only need to have a little bit of assistance from a little sub.

jeffmackwood likes this.
  23. Jwhitephoto

Jwhitephoto Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I ended up purchasing a Polk Audio PSW10 10" Powered Subwoofer after reading through all suggestions and considering the budget. I will be back at the cabin location at the end of the month and will report back.

24. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Thanks - I love follow ups, I wish everyone did it.

25. Jwhitephoto

Jwhitephoto Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Follow-up to the follow-up. I just spent the last ten days at my cabin and I am quite pleased with how well the PSW10 integrated into my little system. For the money, I was pleasantly surprised at how well-defined the bass came through---real bass rather than low-end rumble. I played some personal favorites for checking bass response and the PSW10 came through. It was not overpowering but could "move" the house when asked. I played everything from my laptop on Roon via USB, so I was able to compare to the home system. Again, thanks to everyone who chimed in with suggestions.

SandAndGlass, SirMarc and Tim S like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.