Recommendations for a Tube Power Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Leviethan, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

With the budget that the OP is on, he is best off using the preamp section in his Marantz for now. He can add a proper preamp at any time down the road.

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

No, we, as in I was not. Another post made reference to a sub $1k EL84 amp. that information was directly related and directed to that poster and not a suggestion for the OP.

My suggestion for the OP remains with a brand new PrimaLine Prologue Five, that can be had to just a little bit over $1k.

Upscale audio is also selling the Four for a couple of hundred dollars less.

Seeing that these are the best prices anywhere for a quality brand name, powerful enough tube amplifier. I think it is an excellent recommendation for a tube power amplifier, which was what the OP was saying the he was looking for.

Ezd and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I would disagree with you on this point. I used a Denon AVR as a pre amp for many years, when I replaced it with a proper line stage while keeping the same power amp, the difference was astonishing. Getting out of an AVR for 2 channel music has to be a top priority. I won't give the tubey goodness he is asking for, a power amp will but the more meaningful upgrade is losing the Marantz. A bit of a moot point, he would need a new power amp in either case.

KT88 and thxphotog like this.
  4. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Thank you. It is not me, it is the parts like stated from this forum member below.
    'Wish you could hear the system right now. It's really singing!!!. Still expect some break in on the Scott like you said and earlier at lunch it was little thin and bright, but both Santana, The Doors, and now Jazz sound really, really good. You should be proud about your rebuild!'
    Cannot compare a stock amp to upgraded and has nothing to do with my as stated 'MO'.

5. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Yeah, I would definitely want to demo any power amp hooked up to the Marantz because it may not yield favoorable results. Using a tube intergrated may be an option. Upgrading the AVR may be another option. Upgrading speakers may be a better option, as well. With $1,000 it may be hard to add a tube amp or intergrated into the equation that will yield the best sonic return for the system.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

At that budget you are doing good to get an amp or a pre amp. An integrated is going to be vintage and it’s tough to get more than 30wpc. That’s how I do it but I have 102db sensitive speakers.

7. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

What you can’t compare is a proper MC to a $100 cart. No capicitor is going to get you out of that ditch.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  8. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Of course. All components must be high quality to even hear the amp improvement.

9. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

I got tube curious at some point, and like the OP, I didn't want to spend a bunch of money to get into it. So maybe 5 years ago I came across a now discontinued series of amp by Cary Audio. I suppose they wanted to try and build a lower cost option for folks as their usual fare is pretty expensive. I guess the business model didn't work since people love to spend money and they shelved the idea. But I ended up with a nice amp for about $800 new. I got rid of the EL-34s in the output and installed some JJ KT-77's. I also exchanged the input tubes for Mullards and it turned into a sweet sounding system.

The thing seems to be not so much about having a "tube sound" as just having a better presentation. The sound is deeper, wider and with more texture than it was with my SS amp, which was a Carver TFM-35x. My speakers are not efficient, but Alon 4's bring a lot to the table that many speakers can't, so the 30+ watts that I have are plenty. The thing I like about this amp is that it never really falls apart soundwise. As you turn it up, it doesn't so much get crazy loud, as much as just getting bigger until it stops. I don't push it all that hard though.

[​IMG]

10. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I think maybe I wasn’t clear in my first post.

The Budgie is in fact a tube phono preamp with no volume control. I said I need a power amp, but yes, I meant that I need an integrated amp. That’s what the Marantz is. It doesn’t have a phono section, so I run the Budgie into an aux input in “Pure Direct” mode. There’s a lack of bass, and I have to turn it up past 60 to get decent volume. I didn’t have this problem when I used to run the Budgie into an older Concept 6.5 receiver which I sold. I thought I would consolidate and just have the one receiver, but the Marantz is obviously geared towards home theater. I’ve also never gotten clarification on whether pure direct mode actually bypasses the AD/DA converters in the Marantz. My goal is to have an all-tube, all analog path when I listen to records.

I’m really happy with the Budgie, so I just want a tube amp to complement it. My speakers are also pretty modest, Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-FS52s. I also want to get a switch for the two amps and run those speakers from both.

googlymoogly and Spin Doctor like this.
  11. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

If I was gonna get into tubes now, I'd jump on that Prima Luna 5 with both feet and get some kind of decent used tube preamp. It's probably a bit more money than you planned on spending, but I think you will be happier in the very long run.

I buy everything used. In my entire system, the only thing I've bought new is the amp, and I've been running that system in various incarnations for over 20 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    bluemooze and octaneTom like this.
  12. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

I'm running a Primaluna Prologue One that I bought used years ago for $750. 34w/ch, which is enough to drive my Harbeth C7s quite nicely. Fantastic little integrated amp.

13. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

Egads, wish I had that kind of money...ever! I got mine used for $10k at about the turn of the century, and that was a real stretch for me then.:sweating:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

In your neck of the woods-

The Fisher KX 100

Fisher KX 100 tube stereo amp

Dennis0675 likes this.
  15. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

unclefred likes this.
  16. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Actually, he would use the amp that he has now as a power amp if he followed my advice. Most of these receivers have pre-out, main-in connections. If not, he would need a whole new amp as he was suggesting, or a preamp and power amp as you suggest. Any way that he chooses there, he ditches the AVR as a preamp.
    -Bill

Dennis0675 likes this.
  17. unclefred

I'm tempted to buy it myself although I do like my Musical Paradise 301 mk 3 so I probably won't.
    i just noticed it's 24 day old add.

18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

IF you have the speakers that can be driven by 13 wpc, that looks fantastic and a good deal.

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'd rather have the one without the headphone out but I'd buy that immediately if it were within 100 miles of me.

20. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

They are sweet amps after rebuilds. It needs new, large, multi-section caps installed, and output tubes. Plus, it's already $400 as it sits.
    -Bill

Dennis0675 likes this.
  21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'd say its way better than a Marantz AVR as it sits, if he has HE speakers. This is however a huge "if", its hard to work with 13WPC if you you don't. More of an office or near field listening amp.

McLover and SandAndGlass like this.
  22. unclefred

I'm using Klipsch Quartets with a 7.5 wtt sep with EL34's. It sounds great.

McLover and Dennis0675 like this.
  23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Nice

24. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I don't think that HE speakers is really a requirement as long as it isn't a huge space that they are in, or someone expects to hear Metallica at concert levels. I have lots of amps at or near that power range and have used them on 86db to 89db rated speakers without fault to my ears in a 12 x 14' room. I actually prefer the sound of most of the less efficient speakers too. The Fisher amps had nice transformers and could deliver all of the power they claimed at reasonably low levels of distortion. IME, a couple of watts is about what is used for average listening levels in my 12 x 14 room. Peaks can reach 10w, but beyond that it is really quite loud with 89db/w/m speakers.

My concern with that particular amp are the original filter and supply caps, plus the odd tube match. All of that needs to be rectified for the thing to be stable and safe.
    -Bill

timind likes this.
  25. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ooh nice. I'll get in touch. I briefly owned a Fisher 400, but it needed a ton of work so I sold it. I miss having a mono switch.The specs say 24 watts per channel into 8Ω, but those Pioneers are 6Ω. Will this make a difference? The thing that turns me off to most vintage gear is hum. I want stuff as church mouse quiet as possible.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.