Recommendations for expanding my ambient collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paradiddle, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batman144144

batman144144 Nocturnal crime fighter/audio enthusiast.

Steve Roach has re-released Immersion Two on bandcamp, and it's Name Your Price. I believe you can pay nothing if you wish. (I don't know how long that pricing scheme will last.)

Scope J likes this.
  2. Elson Quick

Elson Quick Well-Known Member

If Ishq has been mentioned already, I missed it. So here it is again, for the first time, or not. Website getOgTitle() is not, strangely, the best place to learn about his work. He's been recording for sixteen years or so, so the back catalog is a little forbidding, and can be hard to find. The early pieces can feature beats and minimal melodies, the later tend to abstract soundscape. But no description of mine will prepare you for what is some of the most beautiful music I ever heard, and some of the most mystifying. He produces sounds that don't sound like anyone else's - sounds you think you recognize but realize are completely new. Orchid and Lotus I'd recommend to anyone who wants their ears to be delighted, but the catalog is rich in wonders. Probably advisable to start with the earlier/mid-period work and progress with him.

Ambient is such a wide category it can be a little too easy to let Eno (and the other Big Names) represent it for you. The best stuff is out there, and discovering it offers a whole new way of listening to music. If you suspect, as I do, that the great songs have all been written, and contemporary "song-writing" is a rinse-and-repeat exercise in referencing style and attitude, ambient can open up a whole new world where you aren't continually hearing the source of the echo. Those great songs, and those great talents, will still be there for you, and sound all the better after your trip.

3. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

I cannot do anymore justice then to what you did in this paragraph. Really gets under my skin to see Eno’s ambient series always listed in the top great ambient albums of all time. Just because he was one of the first doesn’t mean he is the best. I respect him for sure but his music does very little for me.

4. Parker Drew

Parker Drew Forum Resident

Eno/Fripp No pussyfooting
    Klause Schultz Live

5. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

this is brilliant , from the guys behind 76:14

simply brilliant.

6. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

7. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Hotel Neon
    Debut album self-released in 2013, then picked up by Home Normal in 2015 and given a really nice remastering. Both are excellent listens.

[​IMG]

Billy Infinity likes this.
  8. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Hammock - Universalis -- streaming this on Bandcamp currently ... a lubberly blend of atmospherics and strings and post-rock.

--Geoff

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Pop_Zeus and johnnypaddock like this.
  9. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

Boards of Canada

Music Has a Right to Children
    Geogaddi
    The Campfire Headphase
    Tomorrow's Harvest

Pynchjan and Rocker like this.
Thread Status: