Recommendations for expanding my ambient collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paradiddle, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james

james Summon The Queen

also, thanks for all the recommendations. lots of stuff here i've never heard and will definitely be googling.

2. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Active Member

I had tought of mentioning them aswell, mainly because of the last track (Alice) on "Monoliths and Dimensions", and bonus disc on the Japanese version of Void, containing Nurse with Wound remixes of Sunn O))) material that could certainly fall in the Ambient genre.

There's some great Drone oriented ambient out there:
    Dirk Serries (vidna obmana) has also releases albums under the name "Fear Falls Burning", some of these are very ambient (others can be harsh and noisy), currently he is releasing music under his own name: "Dirk Serries" His "Microphonic" releases are amongst the finest minimal/ambient/drone releases I know, and he's one of my favorite live artists.
    His collaborations "Three seconds of air" and "The eightfold model" are also worth checking out.

3. stephen@hennefer

stephen@hennefer New Member

4. stephen@hennefer

5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Here are some links to tracks from my list. Hope you enjoy.

Steve Roach - The Magnificent Void <---"Cloud Of Unknowing"

Steve Hillage - Rainbow Dome Musick <---"Four Ever Rainbow"

Global Communication - 76:14 <---Full version of 14:31

The Orb - U.F.Orb <---Full 40 minute long version of "Blue Room"

The Future Sound Of London - Lifeforms <---"Cascade"

Pete Namlook - Air I & II <---"Arc" from Air I

Cabaret Voltaire - The Conversation <---"Exterminating Angel (Intro)"

The Irresistible Force - Flying High <---"Sky High"

Biosphere - Substrata <---"Chukhung"

Michael Stearns - The Lost World <---"Lost World Theme"

6. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

your posted youtube clips are most certainly appreciated here! :thumbsup:

7. The Dutch Guy

8. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

9. Synthfreek

10. Paradiddle

Paradiddle Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree with others about the awesomeness of Boards of Canada. I indeed have Music Has the Rights to Children (one of the best albums I own, period), Geogaddi, and Campfire Headphase. I didn't include them on my initial list because I guess I consider them more electronic than ambient, but had I known that this thread would cover so many sub-genres (which is great), I probably should have included them. Especially if I had Aphex Twin on there. :sigh:

Thanks to everyone for all the YouTube links, as well, they truly are a great resource for discovering the various groups and albums everyone has mentioned.

Speaking of The Caretaker, is anyone familiar with Persistent Repetition of Phrases? After reading the review and listening to samples from the Aquarius Records website I'm very intrigued. Can anyone else vouch for this album or would one of his others be a better place to start?

11. The Dutch Guy

Persistant repetition of Phrases is one of my favorite Caretaker albums, along with "stairway to the stars", they are a little less noisy and have more of the ghost-like ballroom elements than some of the other Caretaker albums.

Another thing to check out would be "Library tapes" Their Feelings for something lost and Hostluft Albums are OOP, but can probably still be found second hand for normal prices.

And finally (no youtube link sadly) Gavin Bryar's "Sinking of the Titanic, performed live by Gavin Bryars, Philip Jeck and Alter Ego , Recorded in 2005 during the 49th International Festival of Contemporary music in Venice. It's not even close to the older recordings, Philip Jeck and Alter Ego really make this an ambient trip.

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Great list!

I have to second this recommendation. One of my fav albums of all time in general.

I would track the 76:14 album down. It's a masterpiece in chillout.

Eddie

13. stephen@hennefer

14. stephen@hennefer

15. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

Check out a band called Astralasia

16. pick-me-up

Just have to check them all … with time

This is so great thread! :righton:
    BTW. Any fast ”young” fellow who’d like to combine all of the mentioned artists and albums?
    Or maybe I’ll do it myself, when the urge reminds me …

17. Crungy

Crungy Forum Resident

18. stephen@hennefer

I mentioned the Astralasia Whatever Happened To Utopia album earlier. They are really more towards the Psyctrance but Utopia has a more ambient feel overall. Although Storm In A Bong Bowl is rather loud and very dubby.

Deconstruction from the Utopia album, has a Hawkwind feel to it, in fact I think there was a Astralasia Hawkwind album at somepoint.

Deconstruction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiTqmHMB3bw

19. pick-me-up

20. stephen@hennefer

My God that's a Smorgasbord, how far can we stretch genres, some good things thou.

I would think that everything mentioned in this thread, whilst going outside strick Ambient, would still interest those new to this general area of music.

Keep the links coming, I've been turned on to some new things, credit card groans!

21. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

I don't know it myself, but many who like the genre recommend Boards of Canada's Music Has the Right to Children.

22. Synthfreek

That is a classic that for some reason crossed over into the hipster/indie-rock world when it was released. Maybe just because it's a great record.

23. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Original US release was through Matador, so that probably has something to do with that crossover... they were marketing it to that crowd.

24. pick-me-up

It’s just plain and pure luck I found this list before … ;) And besides, I think too it’s lovely there are so many styles, so there’s just got to be something to everyone.

I prefer some what melodic music, myself. Don’t care what’s it called. Except far too syrupy Loungchill or Age New.:cool:

25. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to how you view these recordings, relative to ambient music:

Sidewinder - Morton Subotnick
    Eskimo - The Residents
    Private Music From The Land Of Dry Water - Sanford Ponder
    Garden of Earthly Delights - Botanica

I just won a CDR promo of the expanded 76:14 by Global Communication, and was wondering if the regular issue indicated anything to the effect that it was "unmastered". The promo I bought has that notice on two of the discs in the photo. Not "unremastered, just "unmastered", which I don't understand.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.