Recommendations for music that sounds better on CD than LP?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by trhunnicutt, Mar 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trhunnicutt

trhunnicutt Member Thread Starter

No, this isn't another attempt to start a war or debate on this age old topic.

Actually, some of the other threads and responses made me curious. Specifically, what examples people could provide where, for them, on their system, a CD of an album sounds better than the LP counterpart.

Mainly, I want to listen to these on my system, with my ears, to see if there's some piece of music where I can get greater enjoyment from CD than on vinyl.

As I've stated before, in almost all cases, with my system, and my ears, I've preferred vinyl over cd. Almost all of the DCC "head-to-head" comparisons I've performed have fallen this way.

I definitely don't want to get into why I prefer vinyl or what's going on with my system. Nor what's going on in someone else's. As someone else has already stated, "one man's trash, is another man's treasure, and vice versa". What one person hears as flat and neutral, another may hear as strident and bright, and another may hear as bloated and slow.

I really want to broaden my perspective, listen to some music, and see if there's another world out there. I don't want to try to change anyone else's opinions or beliefs.

Any suggestions?

Tom H

2. Kevin Korom

Kevin Korom New Member

One that immediately comes to mind is Blue Oyster Cult's self-titled debut on Mofi CD. The original LP (not to mention the abysmal CD) sound like they were taken from tenth-generation copies, with the tape heads mis-aligned for good measure. The Mofi actually has cymbals and snare drums, things that were only hinted at on the vinyl.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Ooh, ooh, I know! I am good at answering a no brainer question!

All DCC CDs are better than their stock counterparts, LP or CD!

Did I do good? Huh? Did I? :D

Seriously, I have very little overlap of CDs and LPs. And I rarely compare LPs to CDs - until Humoreum came along. Now I am starting to question everything. Hopefully I'll find a treasure or two!

I'd guess that *some* remasters sound better than their LP counterparts if it was a poor quality production run. Like the dolby switch that was not on when they produced the first three million of Elton John's, don't Shoot Me.... of which, luckily :rolleyes: I just picked up a copy. *sigh*

But if Humoreum is right (and he probably is), no one can answer your question unless there was an error in the production run of an LP. Why? Going by the LP stampers, some LPs will be better than the CD, some worse and some almost the same. But all the CDs should be the same.

Good in theory?

4. trhunnicutt

trhunnicutt Member Thread Starter

That was funny. Anything other than DCC?

Tom H

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Uhhhh you might try MFSL Ultradiscs (UD1's or the ones made in Japan). I think the MFSL silver disc of Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Center of the Earth is pretty good. Avoid the gold disc. But I've never compared it to my vinyl.

For stock CDs? Sorry I have no idea! Anyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.