Recommendations for very inexpensive turntable and stereo system (say $500 or less all in)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Turnaround, Sep 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

When friends or co-workers learn that I collect vinyl records, they sometimes ask me to recommend them a record player. The conversation often goes like below. Have you been in the same spot, and what do you recommend to people in this situation?

Friend: Can you recommend me a record player? I have a bunch of old records that my grandpa left for me. It would be cool to have a record player so I can play them.

Me: What type of stereo and speakers do you have now?

Friend: You can't just buy a record player that plays like a boombox? I don't have a stereo. I have computer speakers [or a portable bluetooth speaker, or a soundbar or Sonos system for the TV].

Me: How much do you want to spend?

Friend: Like $500 or less. For the turntable plus anything else I need, like speakers. Something nice for the den where I can put on some records for fun.

Me: Well, that budget's not going to get you the great all analog sound that audiophiles like about vinyl. Also, really cheap turntables can damage your records.

Friend: That's okay. I'm not an audiophile. I just think it'd be cool to have a record player. And it'd be cool to be able to play my grandpa's record collection. I guess a whole stereo would be expensive. What about a record player that I can just connect to my computer or bluetooth speaker?

2. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Some questions can only be answered with the word, "no." It's not an audiophile question. It's a Wal-mart question.

If a friend or co-worker is asking if there's something really inexpensive that will do the job reliably and occasionally, then the answer is still one of the Audio Technica $499 models that are essentially all-in-one and can be jacked into an existing laptop or desktop PC for listening through whatever speakers are already connected.

If it's a complete system strictly for LP play that's being sought, choose the $399 AT turntable and jack its digital output into a pair of $100 powered desktop
    speakers. LoFi will, predictably, emerge.

How about an Audio Technica ATLP3 plus a pair of Peachtree M24 wireless speakers (that includes its own phono preamp!)? Sounds like elevator muzak. But, it's five hundred bucks on the nose.

3. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

4. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

"Something nice." Sounds like an oxymoron to me. To paraphrase Bill Clinton: "Depends on what the meaning of "nice" is."

Just point them in the direction of a Crosley or ION if that's what they want. There are other TT's out there that will fit the bill, just don't take responsibility for the decisions they make.

Hello Crosley, my old friend
    I've come to listen to you again
    Because of music softly creeping
    left it's seeds while I was sleeping
    and the music that was planted in my brain
    Still remains
    Within the sound of Crosley.

head_unit, timind and Agitater like this.
  5. Szeppelin75

I believe for a casual listener $500 is more than enough to just "get those old records of the shelf"

BrentB, timind and Claude M like this.
  6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Tell them they need to buy used gear to get anything worthwhile. There's money there but something has to be used. The way I see it new looks like something like this:
    Turntable: $300+ (Pro-Ject Essential III, perhap but there are other choices)
    Receiver: $150 (Sony STR-DH190 off Amazon, there are probably others)
    Speaker: $200 (You used to be able to get a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR for $100, these currently selling above the $150 MSRP)

So, $650 is a starting point. You should be able to find something used in a turntable from the '80s for $100 + $50 for a cartridge/stylus. Or the receiver and speakers could be bought together for under $200. This is what I'd tell them. So, $350 for all used gear.To me $650 isn't all that much for something that will easily last a decade. This is less than the price of an iPhone 11 which will last maybe 3 years. And as far as Bluetooth or goes, it's a waste of time. You have to add the cost of a transmitter and a phono stage which could be spend toward receiver. I guess you could get an AT LP-120X to feed into a computer. But, you're stuck in front of a computer. In which case, you could stream the same music with a subscription to Spotify for $10/month.

Bananajack, Nathan Z and nosliw like this.
  7. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

head_unit and Szeppelin75 like this.
  8. Szeppelin75

9. If they can wait for sales, the Teac TN-300 with AT95e often goes on sale at < $200ish around BF or so. Pair that with a used integrated amp, or good used receiver, and wait for the KEF q150s to go on sale for $299 a pair, and just a bit over their budget, they'll have a great system that should sound great for years, and always be upgraded.

10. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    U-Turn Orbit + Andover SpinBase Turntable Speaker System.

11. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    This Crosley (Hanpin) for $200 looks nice and has some good reviews.

SpeedMorris and Acapella48 like this.
  12. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

That looks too good for a Crosley, things are not like they used to.

13. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

My first system cost about $500 and sounded pretty good, but I did get a vintage Realistic receiver for free.

My advice would be to get some Pioneer SP-BS22 speakers (of the 41s, which is what I had). They can be had for about $100.
    Then I would look at getting a used table for $350 or so, and then finding a used receiver or amp with phono stage for like $50. It won't be incredible or anything, but it will in fact sound pretty decent.

14. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I agree with this unless it seems like they might want to upgrade one day. If that's the case, I'd go with used/vintage separates. Get them to a store, be it an audio shop or even a record store that sells equipment.

Agitater likes this.
  15. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

The cheapest turntable I'd consider is the U-Turn Orbit. The cheapest phono pre-amp I'd consider is the ART DJ PRE II.

But if you want to cheapen things down on the amp/preamp side, you can probably buy an integrated amp with a "phono" on the back. I've seen loads for like $20 on Kijiji. I can't promise they'll sound good, but if you're gonna play your Grandpa's prized albums I'm sure he would appreciate it if you played it back on a turntable that will take care of your records.

Don't let people trick you into buying the AT LP60, for some reason the VTF goes up on these over time and it will eventually start to destroy records.

As for speakers it's ultimately what sounds good enough to you. Just don't mess around with Bluetooth though.

16. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

That’s a small budget...
    Tell him to look for vintage/second hand stuff.
    It’s not that older hifi equipment becomes technologically outdated.
    As long as it works fine it’s OK

Fender Relic likes this.
  17. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

An old turntable sure but an old worn down stylus no.

18. Martin Takamine

Martin Takamine Forum Resident

Since they know you, I'd ask them to loan you 6 LPs from their collection so you can assess the condition of the LPs. Then after a cleaning and a listen you can give them realistic advice because their LPs might be pristine or worn but you need to know before you tell them to buy this or that.

BrentB, Big Blue and sturgus like this.
  19. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

What Lucca said in both posts. A turntable upgrade for just a bit more would be the Crosley C10 (made by Pro-Ject) at $270.

20. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Go vintage.

21. SpeedMorris

22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yeah, I’ve had similar conversations. I tend to think somebody who is expecting an all-in-one = “something nice” may not be so bothered by the compromises that allow a turntable to cost $300 and powered speakers to cost $200. I’d want to assess whether that’s really the case for the particular person asking me this question, though.

23. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

For your kids’ dorm or bedroom or for your home office desktop, just add a decent turntable like the Fluance or something from Pro-Ject (or whatever) and you can spin your records and get satisfyingly smooth, feedback-free sound and musical pleasure well beyond the Spinbase’s $300 price point. I loved it!

Michael Fremer
    dfcfv

SpeedMorris likes this.
  24. SpeedMorris

25. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Yes exactly, even old cartridges are fine in most cases, as long as a new stylus is installed.

Nathan Z likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.