Recommended Music Stores In Japan?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by World of Genesis, Feb 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World of Genesis

World of Genesis Active Member Thread Starter

My friend and I are planning a jont to Japan for a little CD huntin' later this year. I was wondering if any of you guys/gals have any stores in Japan (Tokyo area) you would recommend for:

- promos
    - used CDs
    - collectables
    - audiophiles
    - "rare" recordings on CD

Thanks,

Dave

P.S. Any one know of any Japanese record shows?

2. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Definitely ask Ron Lane.

Also, there're entire directories of Japanese record stores online...if you can figure out it, Yahoo Japan has a link to CDs, and then a link to "directories" which links to various sites.

That said, I really dig Mustang Records, Ninja Records, and Asano Music.

3. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

By far the best shop is the Disc Union chain of stores. Terrific selection of used stuff with new [used] product coming in daily. Look for shops in Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ikebukaro and Shimokitazawa [once you find one, you'll be given a map showing the location of all others]. Don't be surprised if you walk out with five CDs and discover that each one was manufactured in a different country--all to say, imports galore.

4. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

Tokyo Record Scene

Here's something I posted a while ago in another thread, in response to a question someone had posed concerning an earlier posting:

"The bootleg zone of Tokyo, which is in the district of Shinjuku, has so much Beatles stuff and stuff by everybody else that you wouldn't believe it. In several of the shops there are hundreds of boots of all sorts -- when I was there a couple of weeks ago (I go there on business from time to time), there was a CD of practically every Stones show from their current tour. There are 25-CD sets of all the Get Back outtakes. Boots of dozens of live shows by Zeppelin, Dylan, the Stones, and all the other bigs.

"The scene probably peaked in about 95-96; the continuing Japanese economic situation has taken its toll, and a lot of the people who were active in the industry have probably grown up and gone on to other things. I identify the peak as the moment in 96 when Guitars Kissing (Dylan) came out. It's still thriving and active, but not like it was then. In one of the shops, Backtrip (which has its own website), there are photos of the drop-in Jimmy Page made on June 10; when I bought a Zep disc there, they gave me a photo (not a xerox, but a real photo) of him in the store. Photos of Page from that visit can be seen at their website.

"One problem with the big groups is that all the bootleggers eventually start booting each other, so a lot of the stuff is duplicated on different "labels." But you can still find lots of great stuff.

"The cost? Rather expensive, but worth it. Like $20-25 per disc. My interests are mainly the Stones (up through 72 U.S. tour), Dylan (pre-motorcycle accident), Beatles, and Zeppelin (but only in the 69-72 period). Of course I have lots of other stuff -- Who, Jeff Beck, Maria McKee, Prince, Cream/Clapton, etc., etc.

"Most interesting purchase on my last visit: a copy of the Stones' "Got Live if You Want It" (which I know a lot of people hate) that has the original tracks, in both mono and stereo, and NOT the ABKCO CD version (Lukpac take note).

"Anyway, that's the basics of the scene. Hope others of you have been able to experience the Shinjuku scene. Best way to get there is to use the "nishi-Shinjuku exit" from the Tokyo metro."

Further comments: If you exit the main Shinjuku metro stop (as opposed to the "nishi Shinjuku" exit), take the A-10 exit and go right. Shinjuku is on many lines but is served most prominently by the Marunouchi Line (the Red Line, on the subway maps.) Cross the big intersection and cross to the left side. of the street (i.e., the side opposite where the A-10 comes out of the subway complex). Continue walking away from the station. The shops will start appearing within the first block or two. Some are upstairs -- you have to look at the signboards on the street. Backtrip is as good a place as any to start. It's one of the first you will see as you come from the station.

If you continue walking up the main street, you can look off on the streets to the left. You will start seeing the other shops. Some cater only to vinyl. Some are video places only. Some are punk. It's an interesting part of town to wander in any case, especially if you have been visiting the more "standard" parts of Tokyo.

There is some potential for not finding these places and getting lost. While the "nishi Shinjuku exit" is the closest, it's probably easiest going from the A-10 exit, as I've described. I was there a few months ago and the scene remains as I describe it and as I first discovered it almost 15 years ago.

One further note: A great frustration for anyone visiting Tokyo is that the Japanese do not employ anything close to our system of naming streets and assigning numbers to them. They do not have a comparable address system. So it is very difficult to give an address using street names and numbers. That's why I've described it as I have. (If you want to know more about this, I can tell you, but you probably wouldn't want to know.)

For the record, here's Backtrip's address. You can perhaps get there in a taxi by showing this to the driver (assuming he can read Roman script): Nishi-Shinjuku Bldg, 4F, 7-10-19, Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0023, Japan. YOu might want to look at Backtrip's website, although, unfortunately, most of it is in Japanese.

Good luck, good shopping, and I hope the exchange rate operates in your favor.

5. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I wish I could take a little "hop" to Japan for some CD shopping! Something tells me it would be a lot more than a "hop" away though :laugh:

6. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

An affirmative on disc union and the bootleg stores. I picked up some MFSL's from a disk union at good prices, I think they have sold out now but they did have a section.Also Tower in Shibuya is huge and has most things that are in print, SACD's etc.
    Also there is an audiophile store called Yukimu in Shinagawa ku. They were the official sellers of DCC's in Japan and still have quite a few. Their principle business is equipment.

Yukimu

7. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Bump. I'm going in November it looks like - Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto, so any suggestions not already in this thread would be welcomed!

8. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

9. StyxCollector

I was part of that thread at one point - nothing I need listed there, but thanks for pointing it out as it will help others if all this info is listed in one place.

10. World of Genesis

I was told that somewhere in Tokyo that they have "auctions" where you can buy promo Japanese CDs dirt cheap (supposedly, these are the ones that show up as "JPN PROMO SEALED CD" on Ebay all the time). Has anyone heard of this? I was told by a guy in Japan, but he didn't specify where they take place. Does anyone know anything about this?

Also, how about cassette tapes? I know they did away with them ahile ago in Japan (professional store-bought ones). Are there any places with used cassettes or 8-tracks?

Dave

11. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Why the hell haven't I made it to Japan yet? Jesus. I hear the country freakin' CALLING me. It says "Come here! You won't have to harass Ron about forwarding you Moonriders discs! You can get super pretty deluxe Kate Bush CDs with shoes and tiaras!"

But I ignore it and live in Chicago. What the hell is wrong with me?

12. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Find Dust 'n Dreams in shinjuku (Tokyo). It is hard to find somewhere in an aptmnt building on the 7th or 8th floor or something . Do a Google on the shop name it should give an address. They are just bootlegs but man oh man sometimes they have a shelf that has stuff at discount prices. I got some (Beatles) MFSL cds for like $10.00 or $12.00 a disc and some other for like $5.00! Boots cheap. I was happy. Anyway just go to Shinjuku. But bring lots of cash. If you don't have a hotel set up try the Washington in Shinjuku, small rooms but not TOO $$$ at least for Japan.

13. Gerry Galipault

Gerry Galipault New Member

Are WAVE and Tower Records still in Tokyo? I lived in the Roppongi district for five-and-a-half years, from 1984 to early 1990. Back then, when the dollar was strong, I could buy CDs for the equivalent of $10 - plus a plethora of British imports. That's where I first got hooked on the "Now!" series.

14. StyxCollector

DnD I know about :) I know they take credit cards, but do most places only take Yen and no credit cards?

15. World of Genesis

Cash in hand... Always a good thing! Less to worry about in 30 days when the bills come...

16. ttyng0904

ttyng0904 Forum Resident

Roppongi WAVE has gone due to major reconstruction in that area:shake:. WAVE still exists in Shibuya LOFT, but very shrinked in size. Tower records are still major record store evereywhere in Japan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.