Recommended record shops in New York City

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by englandmademe, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

Although his thread title says "Record Shops," the OP is actually looking for CD shops:

2. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Now that you mention it, that is what I was thinking of. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one who had that experience.

3. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Cool beans.

Yeah, the store is an outright joke. The inventory is generally in good shape, but the prices are completely disproportionate to demand and value. In the city in general there's a tendency to gouge, and I think we all accept that. To come back to the Princeton Record Exchange for a sec, vg++ vinyl copies of mega pressings like Roxy Music's Avalon would cost you no more than $2. In most of the NYC stores, you might see Avalon in the same shape for $5-$8. Rosie will price it at $20. The wife and I saw a bunch of Capitol orange label copies of The White Album in there starting at $35 and the word "RARE" scribbled in marker on the outer sleeve. At one point, they were asking $40 for a copy of Genesis' Duke, a record you have to make a concerted effort not to find in a dollar bin.

And just for laughs they've got a $10 bin, with a bunch of even more ubiquitous crap in atrocious condition.

It's Bizzaro World record pricing by a miserly husband and wife and I won't give them a nickel.

4. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Was just in NYC (first time) this past weekend . I hit Bleeker Bob's and laughed at the prices on the vinyl. Out of touch on some of it, but some that I've never seen.

CDs...well there were some interesting ones...ummm...underground style ;) .... that's all I'll say.

I also went into a store on 8th Ave, I didn't catch the name of it, but I was trying to find Electric Ladyland, so it was in the general vicinity. They seemed to have an interesting CD selection.

5. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I lived 2 blocks from the place. While it certainly served my primary used CD (and occasional vinyl) needs, I didn't quite have the same impression. Perhaps we are shopping for different stuff.

6. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Unless you just want to shop for CD's in the lovely town that is Princeton. Good cheap haircuts down the block. And be sure to hit Hoagie Haven. mmmmm.

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, I suspect that's the case.

8. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

George from Hoagie Haven was my personal savior back in the late 90s. His chicken souvlaki and gyros served with french fries were my diet for at least two years. Unfortunately, the few times I've been to the Haven since those days I didn't see George but the food is still phenomenal. A friend mentioned they may be under different ownership now. Any clue about that?

9. Faust3D

Faust3D Sick of it all

Academy is really good. Other Music for stranger staff, Downtown Music Gallery is also a cool place.

10. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I visited there for the first time this afternoon (and, in an only-in-New-York moment, witnessed a car accident along the way). If there are any folk album collectors on here besides me, I really recommend this place. Their folk section was fairly small (it is at most stores!), but what they did have was phenomenal. I got two '50s Elektra albums I'd never even heard of before, for $3 each!

11. Seth

Seth Forum Resident

had a number 1 today

George still lives in Princeton . not sure if he sold it or not a family member is running it...he still owns the building.

12. 3rdid

3rdid Forum Resident

Seconded. But be prepared to come with gloves, a dust mask and hours to kill. Things can get nasty over there and the crates go on forever.

On the other hand, if you prefer a more organized, cleaner, scaled down version... their sister store "The Vortex" is loaded with $2 LPs and the stock is basically cherry-picked from the arrivals brought into The Thing.

13. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

I've had a similar experience w/ Second Hand Rosie, never been back. Woman behind the counter asked me if I was looking for anything in particular. I said I was browsing, maybe looking for some Tom Waits. She replied that the cheapest Waits record she had was $80. I didn't even both asking what it was, just walked out. I can't believe that place is still open.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

I guess they must sell a couple of albums a day. :laugh:

15. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I started frequenting PREX after I got the vinyl bug this year. The $1 vinyl bin cannot be beat. Yes, some are in beaten up condition, but some are actually in decent shape. But for $1, it's worth the risk.

Also, bring cash as they do discount 6% if you spend more than $100. For credit card purchases, it's 3%. That store is a definitely wallet drainer - you have been warned!

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Absolutely! :righton:

That's why I only go quarterly. :D

Matter of fact, I am due for a trip there. :goodie:

17. b-lilja

b-lilja Forum Resident

New York City record shops

Will be in NYC in a couple of weeks. Recommendations on used record shops? Particular interest in jazz, esp. 1960s and 70s.

18. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Academy on 18th between 5th and 6th. You'll have a good time there. If you have a free afternoon, take a train down to Princeton, NJ to go to the Princeton Record Exchange. Totally worth it.

19. shakti

shakti Senior Member

Make sure to trawl the streets of East Village, that's where I found the most interesting stuff.

20. djcavanagh

djcavanagh Forum Resident

The Jazz Record Center

236 W 26th St
    Room 804

21. liptrot

liptrot Forum Resident

I really like Generation Records on Thompson north of Bleecker and Bleecker Records on Bleecker just west of 6th ave. Both usually have a great selection of new and used. Also, I believe the Academy shop on 18th is mainly classical. They have another shop in the East Village and an outlet in Williamsburg that is worth the subway ride.

22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

23. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Plenty in there besides Classical. Lots of Jazz and a good deal of Pop/Rock/R&B plus bargain $1.00 CDs.

24. ianhilluk

ianhilluk Forum Resident

Buying Music in NYC

I'm coming over to NYC (from the UK) for a few days and was wondering where the best places are to get CDs and new vinyl? I used to rely on HMV, Virgin, Borders & Tower but obviously they're not around any more. The places don't even need to be that cheap as, compared to the UK, prices will probably be pretty competitive. In Boston I'm pretty happy to buy everything in Newbury Comics but I've never come across an equivalent in NYC. I used to buy a lot in Discorama and the places around St. Marks Place but that I'm not even sure if it's worth doing that anymore.

Any advice much appreciated.

25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

J&R Music on Park Row may be a good option for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.