Recommended record shops in New York City

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by englandmademe, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ianhilluk

ianhilluk Forum Resident

Thanks. Is there anywhere that will stock new vinyl? I was thinking specifically of the MFSL and other audiophile releases.

2. Gene

Gene Active Member

One great brick & mortar store in the whole of NYC.. Just sad...

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I know some of the stores in the West Village stock new vinyl: Generation and Bleecker Street Records sell new vinyl. Last week I bought the 2010 Sony reissue of Hendrix's Are You Experienced from Generation.

4. Gerbaby

Gerbaby Forum Resident

A bit off the topic,but if your into music and in New York you must go to 48th Street. It is right in Times Square ... You'll see some of the best music stores in the country with a history. Manny's in Particular. In the 50s and 60,s that was the go to store for every musician from the UK visiting the USA for the first time. It is like a Who's Who of musical clients.
    Sam Ash.Rudy's etc. Worth a short trip.
    All the small independent dealers that used to be in the Village have vanished. With that said,I am sure if you ask a few people at the music stores mentioned above,they could lead you to where you may want to go. Vinyl or CD ...

5. El Pee

El Pee New Member

Academy LPs on 12th street used to have a lot of new re-issues, not so much of new releases though (Its been a while since I lived there, that might have changed),

6. capn

capn Forum Resident

what kind of music do you like?

7. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

While not that easily accessible by train from NYC, though it's kind a possible, sorta.
    Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ is a much bigger, and arguably a better store than PREX, and only about a mile or 3 from the MetroPark train station, which is much closer to NYC than Princeton is.

http://www.vvinyl.com/
    http://www.vvinyl.com/directions/

8. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Glad I read the tips about J&R. I went there for the first time Monday and loved it. It reminded me of what Tower was like, except this is just one deep room.

9. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Agreed. I was there last month for the department holiday get together across the street, so I had to go in. Brought my co-worker with me and he now has the vinyl bug -- another victim!

10. williwoods

williwoods Forum Resident

I need some suggestions too. I will more than likely not have a great deal of time. Although I am going to try my hardest to make some.

I will be near Broadway and 46th on monday, tuesday and Wed for work. I am staying at the Mariott Marquis at 1535 Broadway and working across the street.

My interests are in mostly late 80's and newer music, mostly indie stuff folk/country/psych

But also love 70's Reggae and African music from the 60's and 70's. Maybe some Jazz too.

really though show me any record store and I am golden as long as they carry new and old music.

whats good thats close by? It will have to be open past 8pm though. if I am lucky I will be able to sneak away for lunch though!

help me out!

11. Headed to NYC for the first time in a week and a half and getting excited. This thread is helping me plan some stops too! Thanks all!

12. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I think Rockit Scientist in the East Village will be closing at the end of the month. I also heard that Sounds and Norman's Sounds and Vision may closing shop as well.

14. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I was in Norman's Sound and Vision back in mid-March and I heard
    the proprietor telling a customer that they were moving by summers'
    end. He mentioned the address but it was no place I was familiar
    with. Hopefully they do re-open.

15. He''s moved to Williamsburg and has been a right ***** to the neighbors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.