Record and CD hunting in Karlsruhe and Dortmund, Germany

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by AlmostHeavenWV, Aug 6, 2019.

1. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll be in both the above cities in October - first visit to Germany - for concerts, and would like to find a few LPs, 45s, and CDs of 70s/early 80s German rock music, e.g. Novalis, Birth Control, Kraan, Jane, Faust. Any suggestions for record shops worth going to for that type of music? Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

2. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV Forum Resident Thread Starter

Karlsruhe

DisCover - Looking at the shop on Discogs I could see that it had a few albums for me, and I ended up with five LPs and one CD - Novalis, Hellmut Hattler, Jane, SBB, and Balduin, plus a blues and boogie LP, featuring Jack Bruce, Ian Stewart and Bob Hall among others. Terrific shop, with a huge amount of stock to look through - lots of obscure krautrock, reggae, psych, sixties, folk, rock, blues, jazz..... - mostly LPs in three rooms. Lots of German and American pressings of UK releases.

Saturn - Not impressed, a fairly bland and limited selection of CDs and LPs.

Mo's Schallplatten - Online it says he shuts at 8 p.m. on Fridays, but he was closed well before 7.30. Couldn't see what sort of music he stocked.

Dortmund

Saturn - Far better than the Karlsruhe branch. All new stock, CDs and LPs, and a very good selection of German music. Bought two CDs here - Faust and Kraan.

Idiots Records - Had a browse - punk, heavy metal, and death metal LPs, CDs, and t-shirts. Not my cup of tea.

Black Plastic - Closed when I went to look (about 200 yards from Idiots Records), but through the window I could see it might have been worth browsing there. More mainstream rock than at Idiots.

Photos of DisCover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

zphage likes this.