Record Cleaning Machines -I am now a believer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mike catucci, Nov 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I have a Project RCM. I like it. Cleans off all the bits and pieces that seem to be ALL OVER new records these days. I can't tell you it gives me some incredible sound difference because I never play them before cleaning them, and typically only clean them once unless they get grime on them, which is never. I am fairly ginger with my records :) Still, I love the peace of mind and knowing I am putting a nice clean record down to play :) I would love a really expensive ultrasonic unit, but can't see spending the money on it; my emotional ROI will never be that high ;)

GyroSE and ssmith3046 like this.
  2. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I have a question. Now that I'm actively cleaning my records with the Record Doctor V, I purchased a new stylus (it was time). I hold on to old styli to use with dirtier albums that don't clean up too well or when a friend drops by with something I don't trust. My stylus is budget, but I want to maintain it in its cleanest state. It's made to just pop in and out of the cartridge which is a great convenience. SO:

I want to use the new stylus with my vacuum cleaned records only. For my yet to be cleaned records, I'll continue using an older stylus. Which stylus should I use with the 'new' vinyl I've acquired in the past few years? I have about 60 albums I've purchased brand new in the past three years since I've renovated my collection. Clearly I still want to toss these on even though I haven't gotten to the vacuum cleaning process with them yet - only the spin clean. Should I be more concerned about potential contaminants on the new needle left over from the pressing process OR should I be more concerned about dirt from the old stylus contaminating the grooves of newer records?

Is this a sensible concern? My whole system is made up of pretty low- to mid-range gear. I'm not too concerned either way. But, if I can take the best care of the new stylus while also being as kind as possible to my newest records, I would like to accomplish both.

3. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

The Spin Clean works quite well if you vacuum with a wet/dry shop vac with a crevice tool covered with a soft microfibre cloth.

4. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

My process:

Spin Clean, using SC fluid
    Blot Dry
    Ultra Sonic Bath, using "rushtin's" formula
    Rinse
    Nitty Gritty Vac Dry

Before incorporating the ultra sonic step, I thought my LPs were clean. There was a noticeable sonic improvement and the water was quite cloudy after cleaning a cleaning session. After my first batch of US cleaning, I noticed effluent in the bottom of the US tank......material and debris that WAS NOT removed by the Spin Clean alone.

Sonic results are outstanding. Clean LPs now have a noise floor below the noise floor of my system. I hear much better transient response, and more ambient clues that were previously inaudible or buried in the background grunge.

Final rinse and Vac dry are key steps.

Spin Clean alone is Good
    Spin Clean and Vac Dry is Better
    Ultrasonic is Outstanding !

The Revealer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.