Record Cleaning Options - Kind of slowly losing my sanity*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Andrew Montreal, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Andrew Montreal

Andrew Montreal Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi all,

Record cleaning options… I am slowly losing it. Overthinking is rotting my mind and spirit.

I have come down to the idea of a vacuum and US combo. Options would be:

Vevor or iSonic
    Project VC-E, it’s larger brother, or the Okki Nokki One.

Thoughts? Should I just randomly choose and move on?

Andrew

Tinnitus Andronicus likes this.
  2. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Bought a record cleaner
    Never got around to using it, lazy

Sold it

Manimal, Pinknik, Icethorn and 13 others like this.
  3. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

Andrew,

In record cleaning, there is no one best method - only the method best for you; but it's easy to get into analysis paralysis. With the right process, and attention to detail, you can get excellent results. A lot depends on how dirty the records will be to start, but the basic process, when using a water-based process is:

1. If dirty - preclean with a detergent.
    2. Rinse with distilled water
    3. Final clean - with a low concentration wetting/emulsifying cleaner
    4. Rinse with distilled water
    5. Dry

Using a vacuum-RCM for pre-clean and or final clean/rinse with the Ultrasonic and then back to the vacuum-RCM for dry is used by many. You can just use the vacuum-RCM with different chemistries for pre-clean and final clean and the right brush and technique and get excellent results. Ultrasonics are nice because they are convenient, but bath management becomes a problem.

The HG - HumminGuru_HG01_Owner_s_Manual_English_Version.pdf (shopify.com) is not a bad option since it uses very little fluid (350 ml) and if you search @AudioAddict he has a nice procedure and here is another; HumminGuru - an inexpensive desktop RCM .

Otherwise, this book (its free) may give you some ideas - Precision Aqueous Cleaning of Vinyl Records-3rd Edition - The Vinyl Press. Chapter XIII discusses vacuum RCM while Chapter XIV goes into ultrasonics. Note that one of the problems with the inexpensive ultrasonic units is they spin too fast. You can buy a variable power supply such as Amazon.com: JOVNO Universal Power Supply 3V-12V 5A 60W Adjustable AC/DC Adapter 100~240V AC to DC 3V 5V 6V 8V 9V 12V with LED Display and 14 Plugs 1 Reverse Polarity Converter Cable for LED Strips Motors Speaks : Everything Else to slow the rotation - the book PACVR Chapter XIV goes into detail on the appropriate spin speed for the large tanks.

Good Luck,

4. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The cheap ultrasonic units from the Chinese makers are basically, low frequency, get what you pay for units that don’t clean LPs well at all. There are two problems with these units: lack of transducer power, and low frequency transducers suitable for cleaning jewellery, parts, and other sorts of hardware (but not LPs).

The Okki Nokki, on the other hand, should give great service for years when used consistently as directed. The Pro-ject VC-E and VC-S2 will also give great service, as will the VPI HW-16.5, the VPI M1-Cyclone. Straightforward, easy to use, and when used consistently as directed all do an exemplary job of LP cleaning. I’ve used the VC-S2 and the M1-Cyclone - they’re equally good - and very slightly better on some difficult LPs than the Okki Nokki. If cost is a concern vs. efficiency and reliability, go for the Okki Nokki. If you’re cleaning more than 10 LPs per month, month after month, go for the heavier duty VC-S2 or M1-Cyclone.

Of the truly effective ultrasonic machines, I’ve used the Saidi Audio clone of the Audio Desk, the Audio Desk, I’m currently using the Degritter, and I tried really hard to use the lamentably manual/elbow grease/cockamamie Kirmuss thing. Of all of them, the Degritter has stood out as the most reliable and the most effective.

There’s no bad choice among these. Decide.

5. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Look into what replacement parts cost for the different machines and what their availability is. Ive been happy with the Nitty Gritty machines(2).

Stone Turntable likes this.
  6. hman

hman Forum Resident

I bought an inexpensive Record Doctor V, and it is one of the best investments you can make toward your sanity.

I buy a fair amount of used records and no matter what I did to clean them pre Record Doctor, they always had some noise. Now, any NM/M and even VG+ that I buy is almost dead silent after cleaning.

The vacuum is the answer!

7. scottys

scottys Here I am, you pod bastards!

Agreed - I'd pick the Okki Nokki, some good fluids- ex AVIS, flue de blah blah - and some nice brushes. Get some new sleeves as well - I throw away all those paper sleeves (unless they have something regarding the record on them - then they just sit next to the good new sleeve..

Big Blue, GyroSE and Andrew Montreal like this.
  8. scottys

I cannot fathom being into Vinyl and not having an RCM. RCM's are essential.

9. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

I'm so lazy I never even got round to selling mine ! It languishes in my garage, and every time a thread like this comes around, I kid myself I'm going to start using it.

10. scottys

Yeah - it is so hard to use an RCM. I find it a joy and part of the ritual.

Edit: BUT it needs to setup and easily accessible. If you have to pull it out - or if it is not setup ergonomically - then yes - it wouldn't be a joy to use.

Cleaning station all setup - waist level - no uncomfortable slouching - ready to go:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    benzo, Big Blue, GyroSE and 1 other person like this.
  11. Leao

Leao Forum Resident

I purchased a record cleaning machine but I never used it. Sold it. Too much obsessing about record cleaning …

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Edited the (let's face it) terrible thread subject so you, dear readers, can tell what we are discussing before you click on it.:tiphat:

13. Andrew Montreal

Thank you immensely for the responses. In the meantime I have looked into a Sharpertek unit with the CleanerVinyl fixtures to accompany either the Project VC-E or the Okki Nokki One.

And as one of you mentioned, my intention would be to use the vacuum for a first clean, US for deeper clean, and finish with the vacuum to dry. Or is the CleanerVinyl fan dry just fine. I mean… the record spins nakedly when playing so there is contamination there, right? Thoughts?

p.s.: after a week (maybe more like two) I am feeling a little more grounded in my decisions after this afternoon’s last research, but am definitely open.

p.p.s.: I decided to do this after upgrading my system to a Thorens TD125 / SME 3009 / Ortofon 2M Bronze and not wanting to abuse my new needle.

14. Andrew Montreal

Haha Thanks! As I said, I was slowly losing my sanity. Much appreciated.

this_machine likes this.
  15. scottys

Keep it simple - just wash and dry with the one RCM. If an album comes out and still not clean (you think) then try more work - but till then a single RCM is fine - I've never needed more. I've thought about "more" but that is just my mind fu3#ing with me.

Big Blue and BluTorch like this.
  16. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

That's basically what I do. Most of the cleaning is based on method. Good chemistry. Having robust equipment is nice too. I like what ultrasonic brings to the table, but I don't rely exclusively on it. Everybody has a slightly different approach, may use different fluids, including commercial fluids. Rinse step(s) are critical in my estimation.
    Yes, the record will get contaminated being in open air. But that doesn't require a deep clean to "touch up." Some use brushes. I use an "air puffer" and Neil- (@pacvr) above, got me onto a certain brand of anti-static cloth (I used to use silk) that can help grab a piece of mystery lint that is stuck on the surface. The main thing you don't want to do is wipe = static.
    Once you get a process going, you can experiment to find best results. I've had a record cleaning machine since the mid-'80s, when new vinyl was starting to get more limited and I was buying older pressings, but didn't put much thought into it. Clean is clean, right? I got more serious about cleaning in the last dozen or so years.
    People get the sense that "oh you spend all this time cleaning records." But the reality is, I can bang through 1/2 dozen or more in say, an hour. And those records rarely need re-cleaning unless there is something wrong with them-- sometimes, it's a defect or damage that cleaning won't fix.

17. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Use ultrasonic and vacuum. You will have peace of mind and clean records.

18. Andrew Montreal

Thanks for the input. What would be high enough frequency in your estimation? 60kHz?

19. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

I am in Montreal. I used many things but settled on a Loricraft. Records are super clean! I use the pacvr formulas.

MGW and pacvr like this.
  20. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Vinyl Cleaning Fiend

I use the combination you are considering - a Loricraft and then a Degritter. I use them both because I bought the Loricraft before U/S cleaners were dreamt of, and it makes sense not to contaminate the Degritter's water with more muck than necessary. A cheaper vacuum machine would do that job just about as well. And if I could use only one of them, it would be the Degritter. One thing is certain, you will enjoy a larger improvement in sound than buying an expensive TT, tonearm or cartridge just by having properly clean vinyl.

Andrew Montreal likes this.
  21. Andrew Montreal

Having done more reading, I came across an interesting quote from a US designer:

“I frequently get asked which frequency is the best for cleaning vinyl records. I recommend the following:
    If you collect albums that are in poor condition, such as mold or water damage, the the lower frequencies (40khz or 60khz) are the better option. (Many collectors buy from flea markets, estate sales, etc).
    If your collection is already in good condition (finger prints and dust), then the higher frequencies would better suit the collector (80khz, 135khz).”

Due to the fact that I will firstly be using a vacuum RCM which should address the issue of larger debris, Perhaps an 80kHz US would be more appropriate for my first set up. Start the cleaning with either an Okki Nokki One or Project VC-E, followed by an 80kHz US. Thoughts?

22. Andrew Montreal

Perhaps my last post was optimistic. 80kHz units are EXPENSIVE!

23. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

My take would be that it isn't just frequency- you can get dual frequency US cleaners, but they may cost a little more; you also have to take into account power, placement of transducers, size of bath, etc. There is a lot of learning from the DIY camp-- some of these are not cheaper than the "made for LP" US cleaners but can offer you a greater feature set. The DeGritter seems to be "the one" everybody likes right now, due to its performance, cost and ease of use. But you could easily put a DIY together with filtering if you were inclined to go that way. Also, some of the offshore cheapy baths will croak- and returning them in the warranty period may not be cost effective.
    I have been using a KL which I bought new quite a while ago--it is a 40khz model and it is effective, within the limits of what US cleaning can do. It is not designed for surfactant use.
    Surfactants reduce surface tension, making the cavitation effect more pronounced. But, you have to then remove the residue of surfactant with rinse steps- vacuum will do a better job than forced air drying.
    Can you get a demonstration and get someone to clean a few of your records in Montreal? You should be able to see how these work in somebody's home or showroom. And I do recommend Neil's book. I published it, so consider me biased, but it is a reference level work for record cleaning and has a section on US cleaning.

pacvr and Andrew Montreal like this.
  24. Andrew Montreal

I have read large portions of Neil’s book. Loved it. Brilliant. But I also then realized I may be in over my head.

Considering that I don’t have the budget for a Degritter, I will have to go more in the direction of DIY coupled with a vacuum unit.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  25. Charile

Charile Forum Resident

Damn.DeGritter 3300$ is too expensive.
    I purchased ultrasonic cleaning from China for only 150$.
    Maybe Hummin guru is another good chocie about price.

fish likes this.