Record Cleaning Solutions - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by OldReliable, Nov 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldReliable

OldReliable Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I just picked up one of those Vinyl Vac wands to put on a Shop-Vac, as a low budget attempt to get RCM performance. However, I’m indecisive on a good record cleaning solution to use. I looked into Tergitol, but the claims from Charles Kirmuss that the Ethylene Glycol in it can damage records as well as being a carcinogen kinda scare me off, even though it appears to be a pretty effective cleaner. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good cleaning solution to use with a small scale cleaning setup like mine?

Thanks,
    OldReliable

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Good question. Much of the critique comes from claims that suggest alcohol as a damaging factor.
    Therefore many avoid it unlike Kirmuss I think.
    The man is very untrustworthy as I see it in general but thats beside the point.
    We simply dont know if alcohol is bad, it may depend on the record as well but I simply suggest using as little of it as possible.
    You dont need more than a tiny amount for surfactants sake anyway.

I use Lart Du Son (Alcphol free) but thats with a proper RCM and it is on the more expensive side I think. Never used the wand either but if it works well then thats an option.
    My only suggestion is that you rinse well, 1 or 2 times with the cleanest water you can buy.
    You can always just test with water as well, see how far that gets you.

Also, dont worry if you hear more crackles when you play after. Its likely static build up from the cleaning and another play or 2 should remove it.
    The dryer winter times usually makes it worse as well.

OldReliable likes this.
  3. arem

arem Forum Resident

I use the Vinyl Vac with Audio Intelligent #6 One-Step solution and have been very satisfied with the results. I dispense it into a little pump spray bottle to apply and use a paint pad from Home Depot to spread evenly onto the record surface. Let it sit for 30-60 seconds and vacuum the solution away. My records come out super clean and quiet, with no need for a water rinse either.

OldReliable likes this.
  4. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

Tergitol makes my records sound amazing and I don't drink the fluid so am not worried about carcinogen effects.

OldReliable and paulieb00 like this.
  5. OldReliable

OldReliable Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks again for the great recommendations! I just ordered a bottle of the AIVS #6, and I’m eager to try it out.

6. HairyWeimer

HairyWeimer I can resist anything but temptation.

I always clean new records too before I play them at all, as you can get residue from the Mould (Mold) Release Agent in pressing production...

7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Nope, that claim has never been substantiated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.