Record Doctor V

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Victor Martell, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

No worries, man. Yeah, it’s really just meant to shoot the record.

As far as the oily look after drying, I’m really not sure. That seems like something that may have to do with the cleaning solution. Do you rinse? It seems like some solutions are more in need of rinsing off than others, so that’s my only guess.

If you’re talking about a bulb-type photo lense blower, I haven’t used one for that, but my understanding is you would just blow it across the record to blow dust off (especially if there is any you can actually see). I question whether this would just blow the dust into the air only to settle back onto your record, but I’m sure it can be done carefully not to do that? I’m not sure, I use a brush before each side. I understand how that could actually induce static rather than relieve it, but it’s worked for me.

2. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

how do you know the records are dry?

3. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Someone with a Record Doctor can probably give a better answer, since it is unique in that it vacuums from the bottom, so you can’t easily see what’s happening as it turns. For me, with a vacuum wand on top, I watch for the pad to stop leaving any sort of smear trail, which is usually two times around.

4. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

What makes you think yours are not dry? I have never had a problem with drying with several rotations in each direction.

CCrider92 likes this.
  5. Christopher Lauher

because every time I play a record there is a bunch of gunk

6. classicrocker

Sorry, I wish I could help but if you are doing a Spin Clean preclean and vacuum followed by a cleaning and vacuum on the RDV I am not sure why you are still getting junk on your stylus. That is my routine and my vinyl after cleaning looks pristine. I am baffled.

CCrider92 likes this.
  7. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

My records aren't totally dry.. I have a lap near the the V. I can see water. But no problem...sit in drying rack for a few minutes and its then totally dry.

8. classicrocker

Interesting, as my RDV seems to get my vinyl completely dry with 2-3 slow rotations in each direction. I mention slow as I noticed they did not dry completely if I rotated too fast while vacuuming.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    HiFi Guy, Slippers-on and CCrider92 like this.
  9. Christopher Lauher

I think it is a static issue, but man it seems like I’m the only one going through these issues lol it is so fustrating

10. classicrocker

Some would disagree on the value but try zapping your vinyl with the Zerostat before cleaning and before playing.

I hold the LP and the gun about 12 inches from the surface. I do 3 pulls on the gun moving it before each pull around the LP which seems to remove the static as any left over dust before playing blows off easily.

11. Christopher Lauher

okay I have not received in the mail yet, but I am going to try it as soon as I get it. Does it work well for you and do you have to zap both sides of the record and do you do it everytime you play a record? Also I got the classic red one not the blue

12. classicrocker

I only do one side of the LP and do this for every LP I play. I use the camera blower after the Zerostat zap to blow off any stray dust before playing. Never have had to use a dust brush or reclean an LP since I started doing this.

Never see junk on my stylus either but YMMV.

13. Christopher Lauher

Sweet I’m going to try that thank you so so much for all of your help, I will keep you posted

14. Christopher Lauher

One more thing do you blast it on the turntable or in your hand

15. classicrocker

In my hand. Both sides

16. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I wish you lived "close by." I'd encourage you to being the RD and some of your not cleaned records over to the house, and we'd try and figure out what the heck is going on!

17. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I'm sure the very edges are not completely dry?

18. Christopher Lauher

ya it is extremely fustrating I can’t figure it out and the dust is just dragging across the record it can not be good, I bought one of those classic anti stat guns should be arriving this week I hope that works, it is just so fustrating to clean the needle then lift to put on record and dust particle goes right back on

19. Christopher Lauher

how do you clean the edges? I clean the stylus lift the stylus dust gets on stylus and stays on through out the record. I got Zero stat gun hopefully that helps the problem should be arriving this week

20. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Well, good luck! hope it's the solution you need.

21. classicrocker

I use a lintless microfiber clothe, yes they do exist despite other posters saying they don't, to wipe any liquid on the outer edge. That being said the RDV does a good job on the edges IMO.

22. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident Thread Starter

Lemme ask you something - I recently had a similar experience - looks like the reason was that I changed my stylus cleaning tools - I am not sure what caused - as I was foolishly using both the Last Stylus clean solution and some gel that it was not Onzow - I will update the post on this since I cannot remember the brand. Was getting gunk all the time, even on recently cleaned records. Then it occured to me to stop using them and go back to Onzow Zerodust. That did it, no more gunk. Again, because I foolishly was using both, no idea which one was causing the problem.

v

23. Christopher Lauher

maybe that it is not sure, although i have no idea to be honest, I think it is a static issue because I dip it in zerodust and the dust stays on

24. Christopher Lauher

I got my Zerostat guys no change still picking up the dust and dragging it, the only other thing I could think of is that there is some kind of sticky or substance on my stylus from maybe my stylus cleaner, anyway I have no idea

25. Christopher Lauher

I just got my zerostat and no change, I think you are on to something there might be something sticky on my stylus, that the dust is attracted too, how can I find out or get rid of it I use the groove washer stylus cleaner which I thought was best

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.