Record Doctor V

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Victor Martell, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, for me, it was exactly that - below the dust and dust bunnies I saw gunk. So I thought - ok, ASSUMING the RCM/Solution combo works fine and leaving no residue, where is the gunk coming? what else? What is new? For me , it was the change in stylus cleaning, so it was more like a guess that worked out. If that did not work, I would have changed cleaning solution... One thing is the Extreme Phono Gel, is not really a gel, but more like a really really thick liquid. I mean it looks like a gel, but for example if you leave the case tilted, it will transfer to the bottom and even leak. So that was a good candidate. Problem is that I was using the Last solution too... so could not be 100% sure. So got rid of both. How did I fix it... cleaning with Onzow a lot, every time, multiple times. At some point, gunk and stuff stopped accumulating.

v

2. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

3. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident Thread Starter

Never checked on its own - always after a play - might have been as my experience points to residue from the stylus cleaners. Good luck, it's the same so you can resolve that once and for all

v

4. Christopher Lauher

Man guys I have to say that zerostat thing is a life savior I have been zapping my records and no dust to be found it really does work, I got an old school red one and it is Amazing

CCrider92, Mr.Sneis and classicrocker like this.
  5. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Glad it worked out for you CL. Now you can get back to just enjoying your music!

Christopher Lauher likes this.
  6. Christopher Lauher

Another update guys I really love the record doctor a lot I really think is a great machine for the price, I’m still though having issues with dust on my 2m bronze after every play I currently am using AI number 6 formula, but I had the same issue with the formula that comes with record doctor, I have a stylus brush and zerodust and it does not matter the dust does not come off. I know other people have had issues with 2m bronze any suggestions?

7. Ron Reffett

Ron Reffett Member

Does anyone have any ideas for alternatives to the cleaning strips for the Record Dr V? $20 seems a bit steep for the kit and they're getting harder to find....any help would be much appreciated!

8. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Check out Nitty Gritty > they used to build the Record Doctor for Audio Advisor. OK > $20.50 for a set of 4 from Nitty Gritty.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  9. Ron Reffett

Ron Reffett Member

I'll check that out... Yeah, looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get some.... That seems to be the going price no matter what....

10. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

What about the new Record Doctor VI ? Any review?

11. pressureworld

pressureworld Forum Resident

I just picked up the Record Doctor and wasn't seeing the results I thought I should be seeing. It wasn't until this post that I realized I was using the hard brush. Ridiculous.

12. classicrocker

I ended up getting a MoFi brush which J think works better than the cheap brush supplied with the Record Doctor V. Not that expensive as well.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Nephrodoc and pressureworld like this.
  13. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I have some translucent lps and I could see that, with my RD, it's five full revolutions for it to suck away all the moisture.

classicrocker, 33na3rd and CCrider92 like this.
  14. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

For 16 years now with my RD I've been doing 5 rotations.

15. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

I just purchased the RDV and what I did was make a mark on record turner so I knew where my rotation started. It works great but, I too made the mistake of using the wrong end of the brush - instructions were not great. Also, the record turner doesn't fit entirely over the label which could cause fluid to get on the label if you're not careful (it looks like it was addressed with the 6). That being said, my Vertigo swirl Black Sabbath Volume 4 went from a VG to a near mint. It did an awesome job. For this price ( or any price) I recommend it.

16. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Glad you are finding it doing the job you wanted. I use Nitty Gritty Pure to for the fluid and it has gotten on a label on occasion. For impossible records, I've submerged them in the kitchen sink in warm water with Dawn for a few moments. I've yet to do the slightest bit of damage to a label. Could there the chance of my first label ruin? Anything is possible.

Murph likes this.
  17. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I've cleaned thousands of albums and I've never seen a label damaged when water got on it. The dry without staining or bubbling.

Murph and CCrider92 like this.
  18. classicrocker

You don't need much fluid to do the cleaning so chances of getting some on the label should be minimal. If you watch the video in post #160 they put a bunch of dots worth of fluid the width of the LP. I use a little more than that as I but a generous bead and still have no issue with the labels or dripping when I flip the record.

If you don't overdo the amount of fluid it sticks to the LP once spread. From my experience, you should not need to use so much fluid that it pools on the LP after spreading it.

I also do a preclean with a Spin Clean before I use the RD V and do a quick wipe with a lintless microfiber clothe to remove the excess SC fluid and then suck the remaining SC fluid off with the RD V and never had any drips or mess. I then do the usual RD V cleaning as a second step.

Might seem like overkill but I found it works even better than just the RD V alone on really dirty used vinyl IMHO. I have cleaned skips on records using the two step process by letting the LP soak in the Spin Clean for several minutes to loosen up stubborn crud in grooves.

Everyone has there own cleaning ritual that works for them so YMMV

Murph likes this.
  19. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Just came yesterday, gave my RD V to my brother-in-law...

[​IMG]

Coltrane811 likes this.
  20. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

How is the noise level difference between the two? The V seems pretty much fine for my purposes but I’ve read the VI might be significantly quieter.

21. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

It is quieter....I didn’t have the 2 at the same time to compare, but it’s big enough difference that you can tell....

Coltrane811 likes this.
  22. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

Just bought the record doctor V. Along with the cover. I also ordered the KAB spindle kit. My first RCM. I haven't used it yet but noticed when I touched the sweep strips a lot of tiny particles seem to come off it. I'm thinking is this all going onto the record when vacuuming?

Also how do you replace these strips? Do they peel off and do the replacements have a sticky backing?
    I watched some videos but mine did not come with any instructions. I am a bit leary since it states on Amazon that it comes with user manual. Hope they didn't send some sort of refurbished model.
    I am assuming the cleaner that comes with it is not a concentrate but a straight-up cleaner?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  23. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

No worries, it’s a vacuum, it all goes into the machine

CCrider92 and Coltrane811 like this.
  24. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

The strips do just peel off. They're sticky on the back with paper. It's kind of a pain to get the paper off. Look out for a flat piece of plastic to help applying the new strips. My RD V did not come with one but my replacement strips did. The idea is that you thread the plastic through the strip and the feed that into vacuum slot to act as a guide. I actually replaced my strip yesterday and couldn't find the plastic guide thing. Luckily, I didn't have any issues.

I also scrub the strips with a toothbrush while the unit is on to help keep everything clean.

Sorry, I can't remember about the cleaner. I switched to Audio Intelligent One Step after I used all the RD fluid.

thetman likes this.
  25. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

There's two heads on the brush they give you, one felt side to spread the fluid on the record, the other one a stiff bristle brush to clean the lips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.