Record Doctor vacuum - is this a known issue?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wombat Reynolds, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs. Thread Starter

I've been enjoying my new record doctor vacuum machine, for the most part is has been working well.

Lately I've noticed this odd thing happening - records would play nice and quiet, with virtually no sound at all between tracks - until the needle got closer to the run-out. For some reason the last song, or the second to the last song - I'd begin to hear audible crackling, between the songs and in the quieter passages.

Yesterday I was cleaning an album, I do the cleaner first, the repeat with a healthy rinse of distilled water - and I turn the knob very slowly for about a minute or so - I picked the record off the machine, flipped it over, and I noticed an area right near the run-out, more or less the last song - that still had visible liquid on it.

Of course I vacuumed it again and it was gone - but, is this an issue with the machine - not cleaning as strongly in the area nearer the center?

Has anyone else ever experienced this and if so, what did you do about it?

Or I could be crazy, but thats another thread.

GerryO likes this.
  2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Not specifically, but there are a variety of ways to leave some wet area on the record surface and the technique you use is the way to fix it. I've seen a wet stripe after cleaning several LPs where the felt bit was.

I've learned to:

Modulate the pressure and rotate slowly, making sure the record is not stuck down by the vacuum and not turning.

Turn the vacuum off as you are still rotating and keep rotating until the LP releases so you don't leave a wet stripe.

Play the side you just cleaned before cleaning the other side to let the felt dry and get the needle in the groove before exposing the clean side to the wet felt.

If what you are describing is water left on the record because the vacuum/felt doesn't extend to the center label, you may want a microfiber cloth or something to clean that up. Also, I notice that the first play after cleaning can be a little noisy but this improves as the record completely dries, which I say assuming there is some moisture left that the vacuum did not fully remove.

3. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Good advice above. Make sure you observe the LP as you soon it when you’re getting used to using the machine. You want the best seal against the vac lips, but due to the micro platter it’s easy to angle it off. Also make sure the vac lips are cleaned regularly and changed every 100lps or so. They don’t last forever.

Wombat Reynolds and patient_ot like this.
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

the record doctor is not intended to vacuum an LP saturated with water as you have done in your rinse.
    use the intended solution in the intended amount, a small line of dots worked in with the brush, and you will have no issues.
    no rinse is needed. if you have a particularily dirty record you can repeat the process as needed.

AH55, IRG and Wombat Reynolds like this.
  5. Wombat Reynolds

ok that makes sense too. However there are several guys here who claim to use distilled water after the cleaner.

I got the idea for a serious rinse from two other guys - perhaps on another forum - who said distilled water needs to be brushed on, to break the surface tension or become a surfactant - there is one guy here who also said he brushes the distilled water on. I'm not sure how much water he uses, maybe that's key.

However, perhaps you are correct, I was maybe using too much distilled water. I know the manufacturer says no rinse is required, but I cant help wondering if some of it lingers after the vacuum and I dont want that.

I'll try less distilled, perhaps just misting it, next time, instead of flooding it.

6. Wombat Reynolds

oh one other thing - I cant get a small line of dots to spread evenly across the entire record surface. Its just not enough liquid. Every demonstration I ever seen on youtube, they use more than just "a small line of dots". Perhaps they are wrong too. So how do you do it?

7. NYC-Blotto

NYC-Blotto Forum Resident

I don't know about the Record Doctor but one thing that seems clear is, there are a lot of people making themselves miserable by buying in to and believing much of what the obsessive 'record cleaning' people go on and on about. Next you will be told you need to read a certain book on record cleaning and buy all kinds of special things. Try the directions and fluid that came with your Record Doctor first and get know the best way to use it before you jump in to 'too much info'. I doubt RD says anything about dumping special grade distilled water all over your record which sounds like you read somewhere online. Possibly try a better liquid cleaner if you want but just clean them following directions and enjoy the music. There are endless threads here on record cleaning and it always goes in to obsesso mode. I have a VPI 16.5 that I bought many years ago. I squirt some record cleaning goop on the record, vacuum then listen to the record. I don't have a half ass chemical lab 'record cleaning space' / environment, or all kinds of special gadgets, brushes, medical grade distilled water or special chemicals. Keep it simple. I have been in the record business for many years . . I am not hearing any faults with a simple approach and am definitely enjoy listening to the music and not obsessing over obsessive things I read online. Good luck with what you have.

8. Wombat Reynolds

I appreciate that, as getting the best sound I can get, with what I have, is exactly what I'm trying to do. The wife and I live in a small space, I have no room to be mixing up chemicals etc. I do think I was probably using too much liquid, both cleaner and water, but time will tell.

You are right about the myriad of opinions and how some threads seem to get into almost super science or even science fiction, and there are endless arguments online as well (alcohol vs non-alcohol - dry brush vs no dry brush, and on and on).

Threads here often devolve into something akin to the Gear Page insanity - "your solution is ALWAYS to buy something else more expensive". But theres good advice here too.

I might try a "better cleaner" but thats another crazy thread - how does the beginner know which one to use etc? Basically I want to find a simple routine that I can do that gives good results within what I think are reasonable expectations - I'm guessing some records will always have a bit of crackling and pops here and there; I try to minimize it, but if I cannot with a simple routine, life goes on.

Mikewest likes this.
  9. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Having had a Record Doctor for more than 20 years, I find letting the cleaning fluid sit for a few minutes, vacuum, then rinse with water is the best method. The rinse helps keep the stylus clean, too. I have a high-quality countertop filter and use that water rather than lab grade water. The records I rinse are quieter and stay that way longer. You don't want minerals in the water settling out as the record dries, so hard tap water is probably not a good idea.

Mikewest and WDeranged like this.
  10. avanti1960

i use the mofi fluid and brush. i put the fluid in the small bottle and apply a continuous line of several dots from the runout groove to the lead in on one section of the record. i work it in with the mofi T brush for 2 revolutions. the lp is not saturated but the brush remains wet and does its job. then three slow spins with the vacuum on.

11. avanti1960

some do. i do not rinse and never had a reason to. using the mofi fluid it is dilute enough to not leave residue.
    the goal is to clean and suspend the debris in the liquid and then vacuum. this is as written in the RD manual. no rinse, no saturation.

12. Wombat Reynolds

thanks for that - just curious, why do you think the mofi fluid is better than the record doctor fluid? I'm going to run out soon and will have to get something -

13. zombiemodernist

Shouldn't be any issues with the RDV 1-step fluid, I've been using it for years. As stated above try not to use too much fluid, if it's spilling onto the other side it's too much. Two cleans are usually required with any used record that has not been cleaned in 20yrs. For some old LPs, 3 even. These are all 1-step cleans, no need for rinses as long as you can get it off with the vacuum.

Wombat Reynolds likes this.
  14. Wombat Reynolds

very good - how do I know if I have vacuumed all the cleaning fluid off? That seems to be the point of contention in a lot of these comments about the need to do a second pass with distilled water - the suspicion that the fluid remains, unseen; your thoughts on that? More trouble than its worth and your results have been good without it? Or some other reason?

inquiring minds and all that

15. avanti1960

both fluids worked well, the mofi fluid is stocked at my local record store and is more convenient for me

16. AH55

AH55 Forum Resident

Have you ever noticed if the fluid expires? I have a huge amount right now made from a bottle of the RD fluid concentrate. This was made months and months ago. I have not noticed any issues; however, I was thinking the other day about how long this stuff actually lasts...

17. AH55

AH55 Forum Resident

Have you ever noticed if the fluid expires? I have a huge amount right now made from a bottle of the RD fluid concentrate. This was made months and months ago. I have not noticed any issues; however, I was thinking the other day about how long this stuff actually lasts...

18. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I'm using the Mofi Super Wash and it has no expiration date. I've never seen it get cloudy or show any signs of spoilage.

19. Emergency Whiskey

Emergency Whiskey Forum Resident

If it was just too much liquid, I would expect the visible remains to stretch farther across the record than just the last track. A misaligned or uneven felt strip might account for that.

aorecords likes this.
  20. zombiemodernist

Should be totally fine. My last batch lasted for over 6 months, ran out before it went bad. I’ve had bottles for longer as well. I’d take the basic precautions, store away from light, keep at a stable temperature etc. And of course using distilled or similarly processed water.

21. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I’ve used my Record Doctor a couple of years now, totally happy with it. A couple of variations I use:

1) I use the bottle of fluid it came with, and now a gallon of the refill. I pour two small streams/line on the record. Then I have a second spray bottle, with the same fluid. I give the record a couple of squirts where the line of fluid is not.

2) Then I use 2 brushes, one is the firmer brush that I think came with the unit, then a softer brush I bought separately (from Audio Advisor, might be the RD brand), and I usually prefer this brush for new records, the harder brush for used records, followed by the softer brush.

3) Then I vacuum, about 4-5 half turns in each direction, flip and repeat. Always looks and seems dry. I play the record, great success.

Immediately when done playing it goes in a new plastic sleeve. Very seldom do I need to clean this record again either. Maybe if it was used and didn’t sound good, but that’s rare. And if new, seldom an issue.