Record Labels Update Info

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Andrew, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Photoshop is a recource hog. All Adobe products are. The faster PC will help.

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Let's not point out our differences, and just acknowledge our mutual admiration of the contributions.

But of course I'd rather have the Island's Charlie's American Bar original painting hanging on my wall than say a gray 2 eye Columbia label as used on the soundtracks of the late 60s..

3. Grant

No offense intended, Jeff! I was just thinking of how each of us have our specialties and interests. To me, that is a plus!

I know next to nothing about art. That's not my area. If you notice, the things I focus on first around here is mastering. Some think i'm the "race" guy, but they are wrong.

Me, I'm wierd, so I would go for the Columbia 6-eye! :D

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'm still using Adobe Photodeluxe. It's been discontinued a while ago, like a couple of years. But it can do so many of the things Photoshop can do. And it is quicker and easier to learn. So I use it.

I can do composites with it which is the main thing I needed. Like scanning a vhs box, all sides separately, and then reassembling each resized/cleaned up side, and printing out a DVD cover. I do a lot of VHS and LD transfers to DVD. So I like having perfect DVD covers for my efforts. And Photodeluxe can cut it.

5. Grant

I couldn't hang with Photodeluxe.

6. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Just added Mench Records 45. This was a local (Seattle) label. The scan if from The Skyboys "Get It Up" single from 1981.

7. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored Thread Starter

Next in line:

Midsong International/MCA
    United Artists 1970s UK
    Virgin green side A/red side B remaster

8. Grant

Anyone have that 1972 blue faded Chess label that Chuck Berry's "My Ding-A-Ling" appered on?

9. Grant

To whomever uploaded that raw scan of the green Virgin label, one is already in the archives. But that red one is needed.

10. Andrew

I did. The green Virgin already there is fair, but can be improved upon. It was one of my early contributions.

11. Grant

Hmmm, I shall take a crack at it then.

12. Craig

Does anyone know who did the Millennium label? I was going to do one I have that is bluer and the moon (or sun) has a smile. It's from a 1979 Bruce Cockburn album.

Now that I look at it closer, the one on Smugmug was probably done by Graham Start because of the way the text is worded.

I'll keep working on my variation. :thumbsup:

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

If yours has a smile, and the other one does not, that means it is worth the investment of time put into a new one......I think

14. Grant

Graham Start's little trademark was putting "Not manufactured... or Not distributed..." on his remastered labels. And, he almost always totally reconstructed the label. He didn't do that to the Millennium or Casablanca labels, though. I know which ones I did, or modified, but I wish there was a way to identify whom did what, just for credit's sake.

I've done many "remasters" that I have in my collection that I never posted on Smugmug. Some are minor, some are major.

15. Andrew

Done. Nice job by Grant on the Virgin "red," check that one out folks. That's all of my contributions until my next shopping spree.

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Midsong, was that The Silver Convention label? I think I have a few LPs. Wonderful records with the coolest mixes in disco. Could not unload them on ebay for what I felt they were worth, so they stay.

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I better get off my butt and post a few things.

I have some gospel records that were issued by the name brands of the day.

Stax, TK, and Scepter each had Gospel divisions. And the labels looked good too.

Grant, know those names? This is the gospel stuff that really sounds good with a beer and a lit jazz cig.

18. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

Yep.

Originally Midland International, they changed names ca. 1976. Originally dist by RCA, IIRC.

-Aaron

19. Grant

Silver Convention were on first Midland, then Midsong. The logo was slightly smaller on one, but both labels were otherwise identical. The Midland version is already in the archives.

20. Grant

I'm not familiar with most gospel labels, since I didn't grow up with the genre. But, I recall Savoy, and...do you have Pavillion? The Edwin Hawkins Singers' "Oh Happy Day" was on that one in 1969.

Hmmm...I haven't listened to that song in many years! I think i'll give it a spin! It's on volume one of Rhino's "didn't it blow your mind: Soul Hits Of The 70s" CD.

21. Craig

I uploaded a new one. I wasn't sure if it should be called emi-columbia or columbia-emi since I don't speak French. ;)

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I didn't really either. But I came across a big lot at a thrift store about 8 or 10 years ago. And since I know Stax and the others like TK, I figured that some soul must have crept through those studio doors and onto those righteous trax..

Did you get my humor there, about listenin' to gospel music with a beer in one hand, and cig in the other. I thought that was a great image.

There is also a 70s movie titled Gospel that has the church type thang going strong through it. Wonderful singing.

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That's my Storyville, Gospel Truth and WLP of Casablanca just up.

Storyville I think is a UK label, this one was Billie Holiday.

I can just see the Staples with Pa on Gospel Truth Records, and them saying "hey, this gospel stuff has been great, but we want some real gold record hit singles, like Carla and Otis, and Rufus got". And then headin' over to Stax to make that crossover.

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

25. Grant

Lawdy! Those are some Super Bad additions!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.