Record Producers You Rate?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Dec 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Bill Szymczyk. Yes. I give him a big tick.

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Paul McCartney.

No one's picked him yet!

Joti Cover likes this.
  3. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Steve Lillywhite was the first person who I ever noticed produced a lot of my favorite albums (the first three U2 albums, the third Peter Gabriel album, the La's album).

4. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Good one. Bowie produced Lou Reed's "Transformer" album and I love the way that one sounds.

5. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

Jerry and Mark have often said that they knew exactly what they wanted the songs to sound like as they had been living with them for the previous few years and all they really wanted from a producer was someone with studio experience to hold their hands and give them a recording for the album that was faithful to what they envisaged. They were expecting to meet "Roxy Music" Eno, the eccentric person responsible for the weird sounds on the first two Roxy Music albums but what they got instead was a refined, zen and experimental producer that was anathema to what the band were trying to achieve. So yeah, when Devo were looking for this brutalist sound and Eno wanted to put atmospheric flourishes and soft sounding drum pads to "pretty" the record up, the band pushed back.

Having said that, some of Eno's additions were left in the recording such as Eno's harmonies on Uncontrollable Urge, the monkey chant during breakdown in Jocko Homo and the "cascading waterfall" synthesiser effect in Too Much Paranoias among others.

From June 1995's interview with Eno in Mojo magazine reflecting on past recording experiences. Devo in Eno's own words:

Anal is the word. They were a terrifying group of people to work with because they were so unable to experiment. When they turned up to do this record in Germany, they brought a big chest of recordings they'd already done of these same songs. We'd be sitting there working, and suddenly Mark Mothersbaugh would be in the chest to retrieve some three-year-old tape, put it on and say, "Right, we want the snare drum to sound like that". I hate that kind of work. I just do not see the point of trying to replicate such peculiar circumstances: the snare drum sounds good like that because all the other things around it are like they are, so do you really want to replicate the whole thing? "No, we want to have that snare drum, but the guitar sound we want like this" - and it was back in the chest again for another tape!

This seemed impossible, foolish and stupid. Stupid in that it was a waste of time: here we are in another situation, another time, another place, why not do something for this situation? Their picture of recording, for me, was very old-fashioned, like a Platonic Ideal of recording, that somewhere there existed the ideal state of this song, and they thought they could identify several of the ingredients, they were in the chest there somewhere, and my job as a producer was to try to re-make these ingredients and fit them back together. A nightmare.

I'd be sitting there at the desk, and there are EQs, echo sends, all those kinds of things, and my hand would sort of sneak up to put a bit of a treatment on something, and I could feel Jerry Casale bristling behind me. It was awful! He would stand behind me all the time, then lean over and say, "Why are you doing that?" As if you can know why you do something before you do it, always!

Devo have acknowledged in hindsight that they probably should've been a bit more receptive to Eno. But at the time they knew exactly what they wanted and weren't going to stray from that vision.

Bowie wanted to produce it and Devo wanted him to but the band were eager to get into the studio. Bowie kept delaying due to ongoing commitments so he recommended Eno as an alternative. Devo felt that they were missing their opportunity as all of the "new music" records by bands such as Talking Heads, Blondie and others were coming to market and they were feeling left behind. More importantly, as Devo had yet to sign with a label, Eno agreed to pay for the production of the album on the condition that he would be reimbursed once they had signed a recording deal. Bowie did show up in the studio during the recording sessions in-between his filming of Just a Gigolo and allegedly added some vocal backing tracks and other parts to the recordings that on the whole were not used.

See this thread: Recording of Bowie/Eno with Devo?

Tyler Chastain and Joti Cover like this.
  6. whitespyder

whitespyder Well-Known Member

Alan Moulder: Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode, Smashing Pumpkins...
    Trevor Horn: even after the 80's, he managed to impress me (Captain)
    Haruomi Hosono of YMO fame: hundreds of friends' records
    Nigel Godrich: almost Radiohead's 6th member at this point
    Tim Friese-Greene of Talk Talk fame
    And... Brian Eno (obviously).

Tyler Chastain likes this.
  7. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Steve Albini
    George Martin
    Jimmy Miller
    Glyn Johns
    Sam Phillips
    Tom Dowd
    John Hammond
    Brian Wilson
    Phil Spector
    Andy Warhol

Joti Cover likes this.
  8. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I addition to those already mentioned (or at least some of them!)
    Jerry Wexler
    the Ertegun brothers
    the Chess brothers
    Rick Hall
    Jim Stewart and the rest of the Stax staff
    Smokey Robinson
    Thom Bell
    Alfred Lion & Francis Wolf
    Duke Pearson
    Curtis Mayfield
    Allen Toussaint
    Grady Martin

Many different ways to skin this cat (ew!), some of these wrote tunes and did arrangements, some didn't. Some had engineering skills and some left that to others.

Joti Cover and shadowlizard like this.
  9. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

Gil Norton deserves to be mentioned for the Pixies' "Doolittle" and the Triffids' "Born Sandy Devotional" alone.

veloso2 likes this.
  10. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Almost forgot:

Hal Wilner
    John Zorn
    Lee Townsend
    Bill Laswell

11. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

thomas dolby

dubious title likes this.
  12. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

Tom Werman with Cheap Trick. I have read they weren't satisfied with him, but all my favorite CT albums were produced by Werman. They have put out many albums since, many very good, but none touching those albums they made with TW.

13. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Joe Boyd
    Nick Lowe
    Shel Talmy
    Chris Thomas
    John Leckie

In addition to the obvious big names... Brian Wilson, George Martin, Eno, etc

I think Joe Boyd in particular is way underrated - he was absolutely on fire from 1966-1973 or so, and continued producing classics into the 90s and beyond. Not necessarily in terms of ‘hits’ but he made recordings that manage to define both the artists and the genre they work within. I wish he’d been allowed to produce Piper At the Gates of Dawn - that’s one of the great missed opportunities for both artist and producer.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    dubious title and Man at C&A like this.
  14. Keam

Keam Isn't it funny how the rain gets in?

Going to second Joe Boyd!

He butchered the Kate & Anna McGarrigle re-issue/compilation "Tell my sister", which I find sort of unforgivable, but otherwise he's done a lot of good stuff for many of my favourite artists.

fallbreaks likes this.
  15. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Bob Ezrin
    Keith Forsey
    Jack Douglas
    Jimmy Miller

Fullbug likes this.
  16. Elliott Murphy

Elliott Murphy Active Member

Paul produced my second album Lost Generation with Fritz Richmond engineering. Wrote all needed overdubs on a legal pad and when the page was blacked out album was finished. Told great Jim
    Morrison stories when we had down time …

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Welcome to the forum Elliott.
    Appreciate any anecdotes you may want to tell us!!!!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Joti Cover likes this.
  18. mike sullivan

mike sullivan Blues Boy

Tony Visconti - he got a great sound on those late 70s Thin Lizzy albums.

19. John54

John54 Senior Member

A few favourites, off the top of my head:

Chris Thomas
    Bob Crewe
    Phil Spector
    Hugh Jones
    John Leckie

Edit: I see no one has mentioned Lenny Waronker. So I will.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Joti Cover likes this.
  20. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Cosimo Matassa.

21. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

here are a few ...

george martin
    glyn johns
    andy johns
    eddie kramer
    jimmy miller
    david briggs
    ken scott
    phil spector
    terry brown
    tony visconti

and "willy show', who was the producer in 'the daily adventures of mixerman' LMAO

yeah i'm pushing this book cuz i'm pretty sure almost everyone here would find it a fully entertaining read. ..... i followed the daily dispatches when they were blog posts on a forum ..... and of course bought the book afterwards. it is hilarious / frightening. LMAO pseudonyms for all involved !

Daily Adventures of Mixerman by Mixerman, PopMatters
    The Daily Adventures of Mixerman by Mixerman

"....Mixerman is a recording engineer working with a famous producer on the debut album of an unknown band with a giant recording budget. Mixerman is supposed to be writing about recording techniques, but somehow, through that prism, he has hit upon a gripping story. Like all great narratives, Mixerman's diary has many anti-heroes for whom we, the readers, can have nothing but contempt. The band consists of the four most dislikable human beings you can imagine. The singer is vain and pretentious. The guitarist is a serious depressive. The drummer is as "dumb as cotton," and the bassist is merely mean and petty, making him the only one that Mixerman can stand. All four of them hate each other's guts, and they haven't even been on tour yet. Mixerman takes you through the recording process of a bidding war band in over their heads with a famous record producer (also in over his head). Many find Mixerman's diary entries side-splittingly funny. Some find them maddening. And a select few feel they are the most despicable accountings of record-making ever documented..."

ymmv.

22. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Conny Plank
    Soooooooo many amazing bands.......

[​IMG]

Cracklebarrel and Jowcol like this.
  23. Gazz

Gazz Forum Resident

He had his critics for other reasons but Norman Petty's work with Buddy Holly & The Crickets was top shelf

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  24. Cracklebarrel

Cracklebarrel Forum Resident

The Classic Albums episode covering Peter Gabriel's So is a stone-cold classic, with so many stories and so much clear respect (and tension) between the two men.

Great documentary on this guy recently, too...

25. catboy

catboy The wrinkled retainer

I would go as far as saying i would happily exchange every record in my collection for those same titles that exist in the alternate universe where all records are produced by Glynn Johns. Yes even my Led Zeppelin ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.