Record Shops in Tampa Area

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Evan, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan

Evan Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone know of any good record/CD shops in the Tampa/St. Pettersbug area? I will be there on business for a week. Thanks!

2. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

There used to be 3 pretty good used stores in Tampa, but they have all closed.

Not sure if Sound Exchange on Livingston in Tampa is still open, it's on the south end of Livingston, right before Livingston dead ends at Bearss Ave. They had a good inventory of both vinyl and cd.

http://soundexchangemusic.net/

Don't know about St. Pete.

3. zappa

zappa New Member

4. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Hey Evan!

That location for Sound Exchange is no longer valid! I believe the LIVINGSTON AVE store sells video only now.

The new location is not far from the old one...

It is on Nebraska Ave, between Fletcher Ave and Bearss (not a misspelling...they like esses, I guessess!) Avenue.

Happy Shopping!

What are you looking for in vinyl? I may have some leads! :)

5. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Sound Exchange's Livingston Ave location is closed. Their new location on Nebraska is very nice. Lot's of folks sell their vinyl there, so always many interesting items. Anyone know if their Pinellas Park location is still around? Haven't been there for a while, but always left there a few bucks lighter.

6. darbelob

darbelob Senior Member

As a long-time resident, I confirm Vinyl Fever as best place for CDs. I haven't been to north Tampa in a long time, but they used to have a decent selection of new CDs at decent prices at Sensuous Sounds on Busch. There is a link above for Bananas, which is a vinyl warehouse. Lots and lots. I don't buy vinyl anymore and haven't been there in awhile, but supposedly folks come from overseas to visit and buy. Last time I bought, they individually priced at the register using a guide and I thought the prices were ridiculous. We also have a decent record show (with CDs) about once every four months, so check Goldmine and you might hit it.

7. Evan

Evan Senior Member Thread Starter

I was down for drill (I am in the Army Reserve) and thought that I might have some time to look for some used Cds. Only got out the day I left. Did not even have time to check out the Forum for the week. And yes, the Livingston Ave Store is Closed. Good thing for me they kept the same phone number :)
    They had nice selection (compared to here, anyway). I picked up a few items. They are:

Hall and Oates "Greatest hits vol 1" (smooth sides made in Japan)
    Duke Ellington "Jazz Party"
    The Byrds "Mr. Tambourine Man" MFSL (new)
    Nat King Cole "After Midnight" (Larry Walsh Mastering)
    Charlie Parker "the Original Recordings of" (Dennis Drake Mastering)
    Rod Stewart "Every Picture Tells a Story"(US pressing Dennis Drake Mastering)
    Steely Dan "Royal Scam" (smooth sides made in Japan)
    Bob Dylan "John Wesley Harding" (I wanted to compare it to my Japanese version. They should have the same mastering)

Thanks to everyone for the store locations. Maybe next time I will have more time (and money ;) )

8. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Vinyl Fever should still be around. I was there for the Beastie Boys autograph signing. The joint in Bearss/Livingston near Campus Ldoge has closed :realmad:

9. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Moved: see post #4 &5.

Sensuous Sound on Busch: All new CDs $10.99, catalogue doesn't go too deep, but I always leave with about 4-5 CDs. Their business model is to make you walk through a maze of equipment to get to the back of the store CD section. The owner is a devout Christian, so no "satanic" CDs (AC/DC, etc.)

Darbelob,
    You can negotiate price and condition when you get to the register at Bananas, but I've never been thrilled with the place, either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.