Record Stop - a gem of a store in Charleston SC

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by cdash99, Feb 2, 2024.

1. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member Thread Starter

I was in town this week for a business meeting and found this store on King St. The owner had relocated from Long Island, where he had a number of shops under the same name. Very good selection that was fairly priced, some a bit high and some a bit low. Very nice guy, as was his staff.

Highly recommended among restaurant scene and worth a trip.

2. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

There's also Monster Music and Movies in the West Ashley neighborhood. It's quite a bit bigger.

Echoes71 and MerseyBeatle like this.
  3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member Thread Starter

I figured there would be others, but my trip was limited to the downtown area, with no car.

Echoes71, aorecords and MerseyBeatle like this.
  4. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Record Stop is mostly for tourists and college students at the College of Charleston. Nothing wrong with that of course, but I don’t think a lot of locals shop there. Traffic and parking downtown is a pain and expensive. Rent on King St. is very high, so Record Stop has higher prices compared to other record stores. I’ve been there a few times, but Monster Music is the store to visit, if you’re in town and have transportation. The staff at Monster are really friendly and good folks. They have tons of records and CDs and if you visit, you will not leave empty handed. You can always find something there you want. Also, Gray Cat Music in Park Circle, North Charleston is a cool little store that is growing and you can always find a deal there. Drew, the owner, is a great guy and the store keeps adding more records as well as vintage gear. Both Monster and Gray Cat are must visits when in Charleston.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    Echoes71, aorecords, Oatsdad and 2 others like this.
  5. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

My wife and I are heading to Charleston for a few days in early March. Thanks for these tips!

@MerseyBeatle - We will not have a car when we are in Charleston. How far is Monster from the King St tourist area (we will be staying in the Cannonborough area, I believe)? We would probably need to Uber. Also, is there other shopping or sightseeing near Monster that I can use to entice my wife to take a trip out there?

I'm mostly a CD guy these days, and while I still love browsing through vinyl, I no longer make special trips to shops that are exclusively vinyl. Your mention of CDs at Monster indicates that it might be the best option for me. Thanks for any info.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  6. MerseyBeatle

@Echoes71
    Glad you will be visiting Charleston. March is a nice month to visit as it won’t be too hot. Monster Music is about 7 miles (15+ minute car ride) from Record Stop on King St, which is also about the same distance from the Cannonborough neighborhood, where you are staying. As for other shopping near Monster, there is a World Market right by Monster and Target is across the street in the Citadel Mall. This part of West Ashley isn’t very touristy, so lots of just normal everyday stores in the area. Although, the Charles Towne Landing State Historic Site is about 4 miles (8+ minute drive) is close by. Charles Towne Landing | South Carolina Parks Official Site

Gray Cat Music in Park Circle, North Charleston is 8-9 miles (15+ minute car ride) from Monster Music in West Ashley or the Cannonborough neighborhood downtown where you’re staying. Park Circle is an older neighborhood that has come back and now has lots of cool little restaurants and boutique stores.

Monster is a pretty big store with lots of records, CDs and DVD/Blu-Ray discs. Half the store is for the LPs and the other half is for CDs, with movies along the wall. Gray Cat is small and mostly records, but he has some CDs. If you only have time for one and you want CDs, then go to Monster.

Enjoy your stay in Charleston. Lots and lots of great restaurants downtown, especially on East Bay St. and Meeting St. Plus, great beaches (although March is too cool to swim) and golf.

Home | Monster Music & Movies
    Gray Cat Music | North Charleston SC
    Charles Towne Landing | South Carolina Parks Official Site

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
    Echoes71 likes this.
  7. MerseyBeatle

@Echoes71
    I forgot to mention that Sunday, March 10 is Monster’s monthly 20% off CD sale. So, hopefully you’re in town that week to take advantage of the savings.

Echoes71 likes this.
  8. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Thanks for all that info! We’ll be missing that sale by a couple days. Dang.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  9. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

I am a CD only shopper and visited Charleston a couple years ago. I went to all three stores mentioned and my notes and experience echo what @MerseyBeatle indicated.

1) Monster Music - by far the largest cd inventory and pricing is as expected. It takes some digging, but I found several things to buy here. A must stop for CD’s.
    2) Record Stop - A good inventory and slightly higher prices. I found a couple titles here. Definitely worth a stop if time permits.
    3) Grey Cat - Great store for vinyl, not so much for CD’s - which is a shame because the owner was great and I really wanted to find things to buy here. While I didn’t buy anything, I’d still recommend stopping by if time permits. It’s a cool little shop and depending on what you’re looking for, you may have better luck than I did.

Happy hunting and please post an update here after your trip!

carbonF1 and Echoes71 like this.
  10. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Thanks!