Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

I would like to see more one-off cd's, there are a lot of people out there who still only buy cd's, and they aren't really catered for on RSD...

2. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Maybe that will happen on CD store day.
    Oh wait..................

3. HillTopMan

HillTopMan Active Member

Some Gillian Welch please

4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Merge has done re-issues of Destroyer albums the last two years (Rubies on ruby-red vinyl in 2012 and This Night on black vinyl in 2013), so I'm hoping they continue the trend this year with a re-issue of Your Blues on blue vinyl.

5. asodoma

asodoma Senior Member

I think RSD is always the 3rd Saturday in April. They must not have wanted to change it??

6. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yes, because clearly, the people on this forum who actually go out and enjoy life instead of sitting in their armchairs and b*tching incessantly about every little thing are the problem. So sorry some of us actually enjoy the event.

I'll set myself on fire before I become as jaded and soulless as the people predisposed to ripping everything to shreds beforehand for no reason other than to satisfy their desire to be a contrarian.

7. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Ouch.

8. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I'd rather see Spiral / Say it

9. Good choice. Or . . . how about Scott Walker's "Only Myself To Blame?"

Scope J likes this.
  10. jimod99

11. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

Hopefully this points to some quality hip-hop reissues/goodies?

jdrueke and mikemoon like this.
  12. jimod99

http://www.recordstoreday.com/Home

Did we say we were honored? That word barely even covers it.
    Over 27 years and 93 countries visited, as a professional lead vocalist of the RAP group Public Enemy, I don't go one single day without emphasizing that the genre of hip-hop is spawned from DJ culture. The founding members of Public Enemy were, and still are, DJs. The tool and fuel for DJs has forever been recordings. And where these recordings have long connected, with pros and fans alike, has simply been The Record Store, the connection point of listener and the recording.

The introduction of the available recording to the public had opened and webbed the sounds of the world across the planet long before the www. It has been influential to the creators of so many of the greatest recordings as well, sort of a second rite of passage after the live radio or TV performance. Motown's Berry Gordy had a record store, Elektra founder Jac Holzman had a record store, the STAX label had their Satellite Record Shop right next to their studio. Keith Richards opens a conversation with Mick Jagger as teenagers on a UK train platform because he had a stack of hot blues records in his arms after leaving a shop. Well you should have an idea of what I'm saying here.

The record store made musicians listen beyond themselves. It both complemented and supplemented the radio, in fact the best radio stations in the past followed the vibe of the record stores of their regions, thus growing and nurturing each other. The fans and listener had everything to gain, and if they wanted to get into making music, the Record Store turned into their first school and sonic passport out.

Do not get me wrong, I am a fan of technology, but I am a bigger fan of the music. I used to be a big fan of the industry of music when it, like sport, at least offered a seemingly fair field of play, no matter where one came from. Upon the growth of Hip Hop through vinyl-cassette-Cd-MP3 I long wanted, and advised, many Record Stores ways to adapt to surviving the ICE AGE. Like last year's Record Day Ambassador, the great Jack White, I concur with his view that people want to gather, share thoughts, and suggest music. There's few musical events more exciting than Record Store performances, whether it’s Grimey’s In Nashville, Criminal Records in ATL or Rough Trade in London. I've long thought The Record Store tour circuit is so necessary and rewarding.

In this age where industry has threaded the music sound with virtual sight and story I am honored to be called upon to be Record Store Day Ambassador of 2014. With the masses, neck bent into their smartphones, let all of us music lovers GPS our way into a reality that is the Record Store. It's worth a great try, let's do this...

Chuck D
    Co Founder of Public Enemy
    Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame 2013

13. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I will take Outkast 20th Anniversary Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik 2-LP cut from the original analog masters (if available).

MrTrickle and drivingfrog like this.
  14. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

I will take Tom Petty's Wildflowers or She's The One Soundtrack beautifully done on vinyl please.

15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Indeed !

what for the B-side ?

16. 1ifbyrain2ifbytrain

1ifbyrain2ifbytrain Forum Resident

from BrooklynVegan on facebook:

Conor Oberst's new album is titled Upside Down Mountain and it's out on Nonesuch on May 20. The album was produced by Jonathan Wilson and features guest vocals from First Aid Kit. The first single is "Hundreds of Ways," which will be out as a 7" on Record Store Day

17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Speakin' of Jonathan , i'd
    love to see Sawmill come
    out for RSD !

18. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

will we see the Cake vinyl boxset, anybody know?

blind_melon1 likes this.
  19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

CHVRCHES have a bunch of non album tracks crying out for a physical release. Especially the "demo" mix of Lies.

Beck's "record club" album recording sessions wound be perfect for RSD.

20. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Is Record Store Day really just once a year? It honestly feels like it happens several times a year now. I'm not sure if it's seeing old threads on this board or they added a few more RSD's but it really feels like I see it all the time.

21. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

that was a joke post right

22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

April is the main event and Black Friday RSD in mid November is 40-50% the size.

Bull Moose likes this.
  23. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Ah that explains it...thanks!

24. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

to be honest, it's started to feel like it's even more frequent than semi-annually

25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I enjoyed my first RSD this past Black Friday, so I am looking forward to this one.

Vinyl_Blues and No Static like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.