Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. faboomer

faboomer Well-Known Member

Leon Russell "Roll Away the Stone" 45 pressed on granite gray vinyl? There's a "hole healing up" joke in here somewhere, too, but I'll leave that to another sinner.

2. Tony Jonaitis

Tony Jonaitis Forum Resident

I will definitely be picking up that 3 LP box set of unreleased Modern Lovers stuff...all pre-74 material, apparently.

3. Tony Jonaitis

Tony Jonaitis Forum Resident

Just kidding about that Modern Lovers box....but there is sure as heck enough unreleased stuff to realize such a project!

4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

5. Perhaps a version of the James Bond Theme played entirely on pieces of sizzling bacon . . .

6. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Neil Young ANY of his albums from the 70's-please!

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  7. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

no, its record STORE Day, not record day.

As much as I still buy vinyl, I still also buy cd's. many other's buy only cd's. Its a large proportion of regular music buyers that are not catered for on that day. Do you not think it there were cd releases they wouldn't go to a store to buy them?

elee532, Jerquee and jamiesjamies like this.
  8. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

one could argue that for about 20 years, every day of the week was CD Store Day.

9. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

One could argue that and one would be correct.

10. jimod99

That was then, this is now...but if you want to alienate a large portion of music buying public go right ahead, theres always Amazon to keep you from standing in a queue from 6am to fight over the one copy the store received of something that will get played one and then bitched about because of the poor pressing...

11. motionoftheocean

so a couple of years of vinyl gaining some slight traction as a niche item counteracts a few decades of complete media dominance from CDs in your mind

12. jimod99

read my post where it says "I buy cd's as well as vinyl"

Why do you have a problem with the concept of special cd releases in order to attract those who buy music in that format to a store to purchase them??

I will still make an effort to go into town to the one participating store here, I just feel that RSD is now far removed from its original concept, which is to help independendant stores attract customers, into a day for music purchasers of one format only, and also rapidly turning into a cash grab for Warners, Universal and Sony, but thats a different argument altogether

I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks this.

13. motionoftheocean

purportedly, the object of Record Store Day was to help prop up a sector of the physical music production industry that had just begun to experience a resurgence: manufacture and sale of vinyl. CD sales were on the wane and vinyl suddenly found some desirability as a warmer, purer concept of the listening experience, both in terms of sonics and tactility. independent record stores were the natural beneficiaries of this as they were the only ones who'd even bother to stock vinyl anymore and now they had a whole bunch more product with limited runs, higher price tags and, hopefully, greater collectability. are promotions like this inherently cash grabs? yes. there's not really an argument about that. you start something like this so business owners can benefit and as an ancillary, perhaps illusory benefit, the customer seems to "win," too. in the basic Keynesian outlook favored within the United States, the customer is happier if he has more stuff to buy so as long as you deliver something halfway worthwhile, you can't miss. but this isn't really at all conspiratorial. small businessness need saving in growing numbers, so to give them opportunities to have revenue spikes isn't a bad thing. while vinyl enjoys a refreshing of its popularity, why not cash in on it?

but CDs? CDs are a dead end. there's no longer any sex appeal to a compact disc. they've become purely utilitarian. to try to make some sort of trendy limited run of compact discs following the same concept RSD has used for vinyl you're going to end up pressing a lot of CDs no one wants to buy for the simple reason that CDs have a basically unshakable thread of ubiquity attached to them. this may change in 10 or so years but for now it's a losing proposition.

stevenalejandro and bradleyadita like this.
  14. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

[

but CDs? CDs are a dead end. there's no longer any sex appeal to a compact disc. they've become purely utilitarian. to try to make some sort of trendy limited run of compact discs following the same concept RSD has used for vinyl you're going to end up pressing a lot of CDs no one wants to buy for the simple reason that CDs have a basically unshakable thread of ubiquity attached to them. this may change in 10 or so years but for now it's a losing proposition.[/quote]

Buy cds and not vinyl, like anybody does : they will be rare in twenty years from now, like the 90's vinyl are nowadays.

15. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

"Neil Young Cow Palace 1986"
    Hmm...I guess it's the same bootleg sourced from radio broadcast, right?

16. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

It would be great if Aerosmith continued from last year and gave us Toys/Rocks..

Also anything from my Britpop days, loving my Gomez vinyl. OCS, Oasis anything...

17. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Oh boy, i think your'e gonna be real pleased very soon...

18. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Do you know something we don't?

19. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

jake bugg did an in store performance at silver platters in seattle last month. it was recorded for an "exclusive record store day release", fwiw.

levi and Scope J like this.
  20. capn

capn Forum Resident

where the unlike button when you need it?

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  21. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

No one that can make it happen is listening, but, I'll still shout it to anybody else who may care ...

Release more 10" '60's stuff on 78 r.p.m.

22. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

They gave us 'Toys' on vinyl, unless you're speaking of a different format.
    But yes, I'd love for them to continue as well - Rocks, Draw, ....

paulbright81 likes this.
  23. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Other vinyl reissues I'd like to see that aren't entirely impossible. I will go a little hip-hop heavy since Chuck is the curator:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way (Cut from the Original Analog Masters)
    Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn (Cut from the Original Analog Masters)
    Luna - Penthouse
    Leonard Cohen - Songs Of Leonard Cohen Mono (Sundazed)
    Soundgarden - Superunknown (Cut from the Original Analog Masters)
    D'Angelo - Brown Sugar (Cut from the Original Analog Masters)
    Jayhawks - Rainy Day Music (Cut from the Original Analog Masters)
    Digable Planets - Reachin'
    Beck - Mutations (Cut from the Original Analog Masters)
    Jane's Addiction - Nothings Shocking (Audio Fidelity)
    Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow (Cut from the Original Analog Masters)
    Nas - Illmatic
    Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
    Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill (Cut from the Original Analog Masters)
    Eightball & MJG - Coming Out Hard (Cut by L. Nix from Original Source Tapes)

Jerry James and drivingfrog like this.
  24. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Toys was released last year. Sounds great!

paulbright81 likes this.
  25. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

Yes my mistake. I didn't re-buy Toys as I have a great Vinyl copy already. My Rocks vinyl is thin as paper (UK 80's I think) I would love a replacement for that and Draw the Line...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.