Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

That's beautiful, man ... sorry for the loss of your friend, thanks for sharing ... :)

Hawkman likes this.
  2. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

recordstoreday.com/PromotionalEvent/10

Only thing Third Man had last year was the massive Elephant reissue which was basically just a normal pressing.

3. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

The Lee Scratch Perry release the year before was my Frank Piece a few years ago. Bought it because it was a great price and I loved the package, ended up loving the album. I think it's probably my favorite RSD item I ever purchased. This is another reason I enjoy the line, usually people will point out stuff to me that I somehow never even noticed on the list.

JimSmiley and Hawkman like this.
  4. bward

bward Senior Member

I agree. I really like the way McCartney's people have found unpredicatable releases for RSD. I'll keep my fingers crossed that something might yet surface in time for this year's RSD. But I think hope is slim now that there is no McCartney release on the official master list.

While I'm in fantasyland, wouldn't it be cool if Apple OK'd a Beatles Capitol EP repro for RSD? Seems like a natural to me, since the US Albums box set was just released, and they've done singles in recent years.

Oh well. I guess I get to hang on to my money, which is not a bad thing.

5. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Morale dilemma. I really do not want to buy a song I hate. However how can you resist this:

[​IMG]

It's glow in the dark.

J_D__, mikeburns, Parkertown and 2 others like this.
  6. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

But it includes rare dance mixes!

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  7. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Has Apple put out anything since the great singles box over pressing from Black Friday a few years ago. I know the over pressing on those pissed a ton of people off behind the scenes not just record buyers everyone involved.

bward likes this.
  8. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Which makes it even cheesier in a fantastic 80's way. They should have made it a side by side with Want A New Drug.

spindly likes this.
  9. This will probably be my first RSD in Seattle unless I get back to SF Amoeba for it. I usually get everything I want there because they are so large.

In terms of Seattle, would Silver Platters be best because it at least has all that open space ?

Any other Seattle suggestions ?

10. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I don't hate the Ghostbusters song. But I'm guessing the Glow in the dark will make it sound like crap.

11. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

i'm genuinely surprised there wasn't an RSD release at all for the Beatles this year, with the 50th anniversary and all that. a vinyl repress of MTB? Hollywood Bowl? nothing?

bward and faboomer like this.
  12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

yes, i have a suggestion. stay the hell away from my shop!

just kidding. silver platters sodo would probably be a good bet. i've never gone to everyday music, easy street, or sonic boom but i bet they'd be good to.

what's your favorite shop here so far?

13. You just wore out my fingers on my iphone

Parkertown and Linto like this.
  14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That's the #1 reason I'm going. :laugh:

PennyLanes likes this.
  15. Or maybe they could have started a yearly tradition of the 'Beatles Bootleg Recordings' on LP. Plenty of us would have jumped on that.

overdrivethree and supermd like this.
  16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yeah, that would be a neat thing to release. I will buy any Beatles-related item at RSD, and so would a lot of other people. I would even like something like the Long Tall Sally or Twist and Shout EP – things that will never be given a separate CD release.

bward and faboomer like this.
  17. I've only been to EZ and Silver Platter. So far I like the vibe better at EZ because it seems like the mid sizes classic store and the cafe adds to the energy. The used LPs seems to be better quality I think. SP is a great big place more line amoeba but amoeba SF has a much better selection and jam packed with product. I've been to SP twice and it's never been crowded. Are they ever aside from RSD ? But still a nice store.

Any other places I should try ? I'm ready .....

18. faboomer

faboomer Well-Known Member

I love your Juke Box EP idea! Or the Vee-Jay Souvenir from America EP. The upcoming Black Friday RSD would be a great time for a RSD repro of the Vee-Jay Christmas sleeve, too. Or how about one more limited run green vinyl pressing of the Norwegian Wood 45? I am surprised that they're not doing anything.

19. overdrivethree

tell you what...a really cleaned-up, nicely packaged and "official" version of the Star Club tapes would be perfect for RSD.

20. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

bummed the neil young set won't be released. that's all i was really salivating over.

MyOwnWorstEnemy and MarkO like this.
  21. overdrivethree

i'm not feeling so bad about the fact that i'm not going to be lining up this year, especially when i remind myself that i've hardly played the records i have picked up in RSDs past. except maybe the Nick Drake LP last year. that was a regularly spin Saturday morning record for a while.

22. StephMess78

StephMess78 Forum Resident

Anybody have details for the 2 Zombies releases? Thanks!

23. silver.bullet

silver.bullet Forum Resident

I understand the RSD concept but i'm wondering if online purchase is available? there is 2 participating record store in İstanbul but it is only promotional you know. so beside waiting for further eBay auctions, is there a way to get RSD special releases?

24. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

Yea, like the seven inch "Four by Four" Capital EP OR even better, a cool set of Juke Box (mini) LP's.

bward likes this.
  25. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident

The resale market is about it for online purchases. Discogs is a good starting point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.