Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Usually Amoeba will have plenty of stuff left over that they throw online. Every year we find tons of scraps online at various places.

2. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I've had other records on glow in the dark vinyl, and they played very normal, so no worries.

3. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

What about the T-shirts?

4. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I should say, it took me ages to type that out!

Mazzy likes this.
  5. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

everyday music is good, and used to be my go-to shop when i worked on capitol hill. while you're on capitol hill visiting everyday music check out spin cycle and wall of sound. those are both smaller shops but they have good selection. sonic boom in ballard is a good shop with very good prices on used records. bop street is right across the street and is worth a visit, but be aware that they are very overpriced.

Mazzy likes this.
  6. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i got almost everything i wanted on black friday from ameoba. and just last week i found the charles bradley "changes" 7" locally.

7. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

It was a special colored pressing for RSD though. That plus Jack White being the official "ambassador" don't really add up to Third Man ignoring RSD last year, but their absence this year is really strange.

I supposed, though, that Jack White/Third Man have enough of a following to be able to release special/limited/gimmicky items year round, regardless of RSD.

8. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

I believe they will be coming from Varese Sarabande, who also did the RSD Zombies' She's Not There/Tell Her No in mono last year, along with There Are But Four Small Faces. I consider those two of my favorite finds from RSD, nice pressings, good mastering. And on albums that are hard to find clean copies of.

I will definitely pick the Zombie titles up if that is who is releasing them.

Brudy and StephMess78 like this.
  9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Easy:
    • Glow-in-the-dark vinyl looks cool but sounds terrible
    • It has music on it that is easily found in the dollar bin
    • It'll probably be like $20+

10. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

I love Amoeba. I can't promote them enough. Free shipping on what is often a lower price then anyone else. Great packaging. Frequent 10% off sales.

I really can't figure out how they make money on some stuff.

Brudy and Kevin j like this.
  11. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Yeah but it wasn't limited at all. Which was becoming an issue with Third Man. At first they had totally fake pressing numbers. Then they just stopped giving out pressing numbers. I had a huge fight with the guy who distributes their stuff a few years ago. He basically told me to shut up and everyone over presses everything so stop causing problems.

12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

oh yeah, totally stocking up on those. on the beach shirts for all my pals.

13. bward

bward Senior Member

There was the Ringo singles box from last year. That was Apple, right? The singles in the box were.

14. bward

bward Senior Member

I love the juke box idea mini album idea. Seems like a no brainer to me. Oh, wait... :)

15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

600 titles, 5 that I'd pay retail and 2 I'll likely be able to actually purchase. At a certain point paying $20 extra for an item is just "easier".

Third Man would make A LOT of noise if they finally made SATAN from the Stripes widely available on vinyl. He's been saving that for rainy day.

Has everyone forgotten that Zeppelin have a RSD item that appears to be a late announcement, like it happens every RSD.

16. Brian Gardiner

Brian Gardiner Active Member

There was a rumour of a Zeppelin item, but I haven't heard anything more on that in a month or two. It seems likely the Zeppelin rumour was either wrong or, more likely, the Zeps just never got their act together in time. Or do you know something?

17. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

It's crazy sometimes. People should sign up for their email list as they do sales, and the shipping is the icing on the cake. I live pretty close to the LA Amoeba but I sometimes order from them online when they have these 15% off sales. If those sales were valid instore, I'd spend even more.

18. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

You know I typically compare my list to a good friend's and he usually has 2-3 titles that I am not familiar with and a lot times I pick one of them up or something else I have never heard before. I always try to challenge my comfort zone with new good music!

Maybe you should pick up Outkast's Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik 20-year anniversary release - it's a stone cold classic release 10 years before they hit it BIG! I kid but it is an amazing album.

Hawkman likes this.
  19. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

When I was in Seattle Sonic Boom and Jive Time seemed like good shops and I picked up a few nice lps from each.

deadcoldfish likes this.
  20. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Any John Martyn enthusiasts out there; one of the RSD releases is the 1971 single version of May You Never which is a completely different version from the Solid Air album track. The B-side is an alternate 1971 take featuring Paul Kossoff of Free on guitar. The original 45 is highly collectable.

Mazzy and goldenbreast like this.
  21. goldenbreast

goldenbreast Forum Resident

I'm def keen on tracking down a copy of this. Can you recommend and good UK sellers that will be stocking RSD releases?

Cheers,

Alex

22. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Found this for $2 today. Should I still get the RSD LPs?
    DoorsWeird.JPG

hi_watt likes this.
  23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I'm only aware of the old news.

There is always some late surprises added after RSD post the official list.

This year is a little light on "marquee" names. Jack W. and Zep could very easily fill that void.

Brian Gardiner likes this.
  24. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Interesting since the store I go to that day hooks it up with New York style pizza, Hostess cakes and sodas. Plus they have a nice 20% off discount on used items too. Can't wait ;)

25. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Yes, because that original pressing is not a good sounding lp.

Eric Weinraub likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.