Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I think it is mainly because their is some gimmicky vinyl pressed on color lps with no care for mastering but the one's that are color and pressed well sound just fine. Remember, black is an added color to vinyl.

dewey02 likes this.
  2. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

there will be a regular, black vinyl release later.

danner likes this.
  3. danner

danner Forum Resident

Ah! Good to know I can get a copy for sure then. I'll be happy with the black vinyl if I can't get the RSD edition.

4. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

Yes, of course. Limited color vinyl often goes for more money than their black vinyl counterparts, so it does appeal to many folks out there. Whether you share in that appeal, however, is your choice.

I don't seek out colored vinyl, or even necessarily prefer it, but I do enjoy it. You can argue that it doesn't matter, but the same could be said about the album artwork. Does the artwork matter to the music? Maybe, maybe not. It all adds to the experience, though, doesn't it? And who doesn't want a better experience? For me, colored vinyl always takes a backseat to the music and sound quality, but it's not an irrelevant factor either. It can be beautiful to look at, and I especially like when the vinyl color matches the album art, or has relevance to the music itself (e.g. blood splattered vinyl for the Death Proof soundtrack.)

Have you seen the colored vinyl that was done for the Paramount Records set done by Third Man Records? Absolutely gorgeous. It certainly added to my experience of the music. But to each his own.

Rocketdog, Paully, mikeburns and 2 others like this.
  5. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

I'm guessing it's another unofficial release of the same thing that has been circulating. I noticed it's not listed in bold like the rest of the releases on the list.
    Someone has been dropping vague hints on this thread that there is a NY 70's era release, but I'll believe it when I see it. I've been waiting years for the 70's "lost albums" first mentioned on NY's site over 3 years ago.

6. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

A vinyl copy of Horace Andy's "In The Light" (along with the dub album) would be awesome for a future RSD release.

AlienRendel likes this.
  7. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I'd like to see some more Lee Scratch Perry this year.

JimSmiley likes this.
  8. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I can picture Rainbow in Newark with all the eBay weasels pushing their way into the store, grabbing anything that looks promising in quantities leaving a just about depleted RSD inventory.

9. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

None of mine do. :shrug: Personally, I've always found that "colored vinyl doesn't sound as good" to be a big old myth.

hidden1one, Bryan, Mike in OR and 4 others like this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Thanks for the info....feel pretty dumb saying I never knew color was added to black vinyl. Recently got the Kelly Clarkson Christmas album on red vinyl and it was terrible...very noisy pressing. Another in a line of colored vinyl that seemed subpar, but as I had mentioned in my original post, certainly could be a coincidence.

11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Those picture discs are pretty awful! I do like the look of color vinyl...have Madonna Hard Candy and if looks like one of those red and white mints.....very cool looking. Don't remember how it sounded....looked a lot better than the songs sounded, that's for sure!

ToEhrIsHuman likes this.
  12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Not much use to you where you are, but the BAF reissues do turn up around here and probably cost the same or less than any repress would, £20 or less.

13. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

No reason to feel dumb. I never knew it until it was confirmed by other people. IIRC vinyl is clear before color added. I just think a lot of cheaper pressed and gimmicky records go for color and that is why many sound noisy. A few of the best sounding records in my collection are on 'color' vinyl but they are also pressed at good plants.

Look at the deadwax of that KC album and see if a "U" with a circle is there or if the matrix starts with an "S." I typically find that these 2 popular plants, United and Rainbo, produce some of the noiser lps and since they press a lot of low budget and contemporary pop, they are more abundant and defective vinyl is more readily accessible. I'm not trying smear the names of these plants because they are capable of pressing good records because I have many lps pressed by these plants. These are just the most notorious.

Rocketdog and Beattles like this.
  14. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

The coloured vinyl pressings of The Cure albums from the last couple of RSD's (with the exception of Kiss Me x3) have been very poor.

15. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

I saw the temporary UK list ... very disappointing so far.

16. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Nothing interesting for me so far, but that's okay.

17. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

You can key in your state info and see local stores here - http://recordstoreday.com/Venues

The listed stores with a "P" have pledged not to rip people off or reserve items for specific people. There are five stores listed for Atlanta, four with pledge status.

18. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Depending on the source material used the Inspiral Carpets release interests me but it's UK/EU only. :(

19. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Thanks for the info.

20. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

So far there's nothing that interests me!

21. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Here's Omnivore's Record Store Day 2014 announcement:

apple-richard likes this.
  22. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

I wonder if this means the other labels' announcements are coming as well...

23. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Probably and we'll wind up with 200 plus items again.

24. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

Bring it on!! The list is already shaping up pretty nicely...anxious to see what else is coming... :bdance:

25. davidbix

davidbix Forum Resident

No mastering/pressing info in "Elastica" yet, is there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.