Record Store Day 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Always amazes me how the moment one shares anything online, there's always at least one jerk to post something dismissive. Hope it provided the pseudo feeling of superiority you showed us you desperately need. :rolleyes:

Jimijam, Brett44 and recstar24 like this.
  2. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

Sounds like my experiences. I had the same issue a couple years ago on RSD. I was looking for a couple releases in particular and was super bummed when I couldn't find them. Checked Ebay like 2 weeks later and found them below list price. I realized at that point I could get any release I was looking for after RSD and probably pay about the same as I would the day of, and avoid the headache of the whole experience. I haven't been out on RSD or Black Friday in a couple years and still was able to get the few things I was looking for, this year will be no different I'm sure.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  3. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979

You could get most, but the whole point of RSD is to go to a record store, interact with a few folks and support your physical store so it stays alive. That's a good cause. I don't wake up or wait in lines but i do go every year and buy something and I believe everyone should.

4. Strat-Mangler

I don't spend my money carelessly and have very specific titles in mind when I decide to go. However, my consumer ways are incompatible with RSD. I'm not interested in entertaining small-talk with random strangers when my days are packed with responsibilities and tasks to attend to. Getting in and out as quickly as possible is the goal. Since the whole event of RSD is based on speculation rather than communication, I can't waste a half-day much less a full day trying to find a title which might not even be shipped to my country.

If RSD would change its ways and alert us of which store will get what, that'd make things a lot easier for those of us who just want a title or two. Since it is infinitely more convenient to click my mouse a few times and spare myself all these wasted hours and the disappointment, I'll avoid it altogether in the future... unless things change, of course.

aoxomoxoa and Dan33185 like this.
  5. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

The “S” stands for Store. I think RSD is ridiculous, but I do enjoy it. For the last four years I’ve queued with friends, mostly gotten what I wanted and use it as an excuse to buy records. Is there a premium involved? Sure. Do I like having Record Stores on the streets of my town? Also sure. Do I see my RSD purchases still for sale after RSD? About 75% of the time. I almost never buy more than one record when I’m in a record store, so to have one day a year when the rules are relaxed a little and you’re standing in a full record shop at 8:30am and people have armfuls of vinyl is a good thing!

Did my 7 year old come along this year looking for some or all of the three picture discs on her list? Yes. That was fun and not replicatable online.

Your mileage may vary, of course, and I’m lucky to have a couple of well-supplied record stores in Dublin to facilitate the day. You can bounce around all the shops, get a nice breakfast in, listen to the bands that do in-stores later in the day - there are worse ways to pass your time.

Erik B., krlpuretone, Jimijam and 4 others like this.
  6. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

That sounds like the fault of your record stores, not RSD. The day before RSD, my local always posts a list (on their website and Facebook) of everything they got it and a separate list of items that got cancelled or that they didn't get. It's not that difficult to copy and paste a list of releases and delete what you didn't receive.

redflag likes this.
  7. Giacomo Belbo

Music for me is about sharing and having fun, not sitting alone in my living room listening to my super expensive system and one of the kind releases while sipping an expensive malt in isolation, sorry it doesn't appeal to me. Going to a record store helps me connect with people that have similar interests and lots of times helped me discover new things that in other case I wouldn't have a clue about. I go to as many gigs as I can and visit as many record stores as I can and I don't really mind the inconvenience of getting out of my home, walking and talking to people, call me a weirdo.

s m @, Trace, Erik B. and 3 others like this.
  8. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Record stores, for me, have always been about browsing and finding things that you wouldn't have thought of looking for otherwise. There are countless gems that I've discovered while spending countless hours killing time in record stores. The shopping experience is its own reward. The list of places I'd rather be is a very short one.

My advice to people who only go to a store on RSD, with a firm and solitary objective to get very specific titles in mind: Stay home.

Erik B., Cronverc, Peachy and 3 others like this.
  9. Strat-Mangler

I'm not talking about a single store but every single one in the Toronto area. And that's a lot. As far as I can recall, no lists were published. There's enough blame to go around, sure. But yes, I will blame the RSD event for denying a whole country of a release when EJ albums have sold in the millions here. Just a ridiculous way to run things, IMHO.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  10. Dan33185

I go to the record store about once a week every other time of the year, RSD is just a zoo though, not worth the trouble (to me). If people enjoy it, more power to them, it's just not for me. And I've heard (just hearsay, no factual evidence) that the actual RSD items aren't that profitable to stores because the markup is so small. Most of them make money on other items sold that day I would think. I do that year round, so they're not really losing money off of me by me not going that one day.

Strat-Mangler and Giacomo Belbo like this.
  11. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

No he meant Dolly who always Pardons for her bad music

12. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

I actually go on a mission(s) and enjoy the heck out of it. I don't always score everything I want, but that's life and part of the fun for me. I accept the risk of disappointment when I engage-it's not life-or-death, so I will be OK if I don't score 100%.

13. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Oh, Didn't know it was color vinyl. thanks

Pats Radio likes this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

After a couple of bad experiences, I prefer to do that manually. It isn't time-consuming at all and provides me with peace of mind as well. :)

15. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I got the Giles Martin remix of Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane single for Record Store Day 2017. I had it for a while before I got around to playing it and I thought it sounded bad like something was wrong with it and then I remembered that it was the GM remix. :sigh:

vudicus likes this.
  16. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I thought it was that international RSD staff have a longstanding vendetta against Canadian Elton John fans.

Dudley Morris, Gaslight, Sean and 4 others like this.
  17. fuzzybam

fuzzybam Well-Known Member

The RSD list looks pretty cool this year. I have a few records that I have written down as must grabs. I wish I could find the Circa Survive/Sunny Day Real Estate 7" split from a few years back...

18. Dan33185

fuzzybam likes this.
  19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Record stores are awesome. People who love records and record stores are awesome. I’ve met many a good person in line on record store day. I’ve seen people talk about what they want to get, and when they find something someone else wants, they pass it through the crowd to make sure the people who were there first get a chance to buy it. I’ve talked about music, kids, work, geography, and everything in between with strangers on Record Store Day. I met an elderly couple who were just getting (back) into vinyl and had bought an audiophile system from the local dealer; they asked what I liked and we spoke about Miles Davis’ Second Great Quintet. When we got inside, I pointed out the Impex reissue of E.S.P., which they ended up taking home.

Go to record stores, share your joys with people, make them happy, be happy. Life is too ****ing short.

RobCos02330, Erik B., redflag and 6 others like this.
  20. Giacomo Belbo

There is free beer and good music and pretty girls and lots of cool people on RSD and you may even find some interesting records, what's not to like?

21. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Hopefully, you meant Women and not Girls(unless you are under 18 yourself, then I understand), but if Denmark RSD attracts Hot Women, I might need to relocate there.:agree:

Giacomo Belbo likes this.
  22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

As frustrating as that is, RSD didn't deny Canada that EJ release. It's not really the RSD organisation that is to blame for things like that. What to release and to where is up to record companies and not the RSD organisation.

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

RSD can't tell you that as they don't have those details. The only people who know that are the distributors since they know what they sent and to who, and the record stores.

24. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Facts?! We don't need no stinkin' facts!

25. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Death, I say, death to RSD!!! Off with (its?their)(head?heads?).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.