Record Store Day 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

I live 60 miles from the nearest record store that participates in RSD and 90 from the nearest one that gets more than a few dozen copies. Last year, I was so bummed that I couldn't find any copies of the Black Angels glow in the dark record in 5 stores in 2 towns that I went to. But, you know what? I had a lot of fun anyway. That's the game. It's like an Easter egg hunt. That's how it is designed and that is how most enjoy it. If that's not your thing, cool. Maybe do something else that day.

Lethrus, AnalogJ and cwd like this.
  2. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I looked in the dictionary today for the word curmudgeon and your picture was there.

3. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

clearly. You should probably stay home then.

4. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Looking forward to the Neil Young and maybe the Doors. Probably pick up a few other goodies too.

5. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Yes, RSD is definitely not for everyone. But, I usually have a good time, and I know if there is something I'm looking for that I can't find at the moment, it will eventually turn up somewhere.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  6. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Agreed, there's no way I'm going out record shopping on Black Friday. I'll stay home and do nothing that day and record shop on many other days of the year. RSD is fine for the folks who want to participate.

John Bliss and redflag like this.
  7. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Some people don’t seem to know the difference between rsd and rsdbf.

8. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I sort of assume we're talking Black Friday here, since it's the one coming up. I realize there's another thread but that doesn't mean anything.

9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Sundays Static and Silence.

Goddamit RSD, you've got me again with the nostalgia bug.

John Bliss likes this.
  10. ShortstackRecords

ShortstackRecords Forum Resident

Publishing lists would add transparency for sure. Shortstack Records posted everything we got in on our Instagram. What helps enormously, however, is when customers let stores know in advance what they're interested in - it helps avoid ordering large quantities of stuff people will pass on (often sold later at a loss) and can help determine whether certain titles are even available. Ex. Jerry Garcia's work outside of the Dead is tied up in distribution rights that keep his RSD releases out of Canada, but with enough notice could be imported.

eddiel and Strat-Mangler like this.
  11. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Totally strange that some record collectors apparently don't even understand these basic things.

12. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Has anyone come across an extra, Blue Oyster Cult, Rarities Vol. 1, 2lps? If so let me know here and where you saw it at.
    I know it's going to be a difficult find, just thought I would give it a shot!

13. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Several out in two stores in Nashville TN today

14. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I would try either Josey Records or CD Warehouse in Arlington. I saw copies at Josey yesterday. There is always discogs....

15. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Tried them both Friday evening, zero. About what time did you see them at Josey's? I was there around 3 or 4.
    Cwd, do you have the name of the 2 record stores by chance?

16. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Sure-Grimeys and the record store at the Country Music Museum

17. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

it was before noon on Friday, i think there were 2 -4 copies then.

Try discogs....

18. FOXALIVE

FOXALIVE New Member

I like the Alice in Chains release as well - two tracks that were recorded after the S/T album and prior to Layne's death. Both are good tracks but they don't highlight the band in its best possible shape, with Layne having declined so far by that point. It's nice to see them get a separate release for RSD, but I have both tracks in the Music Bank box, so I think I'll be giving it a miss.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious to know if this sounds much better on vinyl than on CD. Bring me clarity, please.
    I'm very tired of listening to modern masterings that sound worse than CDs.
    This is my favorite AICs songs, so I really want to listen them in their best possible quality.

19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I must be so incredibly out of it. At 56, and a huge consumer of vinyl (both new and used) there isn't as single item on the RSD web site release list that I would buy, aside from possibly the Springsteen hits album. I haven't even heard of 85% of the artists! Many of you seem to.

20. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

As someone 48, there are some undeniable gems on that list. Not saying you should know or whatever. If you are a fan who thinks the world revolves around The Beatles or Pink Floyd or whatever, it may not appeal to you. But, Record Store Day was designed to help independent record shops stay afloat and profitable. It wasn't really designed to sell the major pop artists... but then they started to anyway. Since streaming is so cheap and youtube allows you to listen to music for free, here are some things to consider checking out from the list:

Jeff Buckley is Tim Buckley's more talented son. They never really knew each other but Jeff was fantastic. He had one album than many artists have cited as one of the greatest albums of all time. Paul McCartney, Morrissey, Eric Clapton and others. This EP box set is stellar.

Chuck Berry's Greatest Hits mastered from analog. That doesn't appeal to you? If there were no Chuck Berry, there would have been no John Lennon.

3 David Bowie records.

A lot more...

this is my favorite RSD list in 3 years...

I'll be there early before all the eBay schmucks line up.. but worth it.

AnalogJ likes this.
  21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

There are the Grant Green releases from Resonance Records. The Chuck Berry appeals to me. Maybe the Pink Floyd mono release.

22. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

:goodie: :pineapple: :bdance::pineapple::goodie:

23. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I've never heard Grace called one of the greatest albums of all time. I think its appeal has waned a lot. I know there are always fans, which is great, but it really hasn't stood the test of time. In my opinion.

24. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Bowie considered it the best album ever made and it makes the top end of many polls. It is all a matter of opinion of course. I regard it as one of the greatest ever albums and it sounds as fresh today as ever to me.

Miriam and Clonesteak like this.
  25. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Same for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.