Record Store Day 2020 - "RSD Drops" Aug 29/Sep 26/Oct 24

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Jan 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

“Soon, there will be one more,” Schools said when asked about the high number of official live albums the band has released throughout their storied career. “There’s a new one coming out on Record Store Day in April, it’s called Sunday Show, recorded at The Capitol Theatre in Port Chester [New York] last spring.”

SETLIST
    Sunday, March 24, 2019
    Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY, USA

Set 1:
    1. Holden Oversoul (>)
    2. Makes Sense to Me
    3. Let's Get Down to Business (brute. cover)
    4. Little Lilly (>)
    5. Airplane (>)
    6. Jaded Tourist
    7. Blue Indian
    8. The Last Straw (>)
    9. Life During Wartime (Talking Heads cover)
    ---
    Set 2:

1. Lawyers, Guns and Money (Warren Zevon cover) (>)
    2. Little Kin (>)
    3. Love Tractor
    4. I'm Not Alone
    5. North (Jerry Joseph cover) (>)
    6. See That My Grave Is Kept Clean (Blind Lemon Jefferson cover) (>)
    7. Bust It Big (>)
    8. Mercy (> 'The Other One' by the Grateful Dead tease >)
    9. I'm So Glad (Skip James cover)
    10. Postcard (>)
    11. Ain't Life Grand

ARK, Geee!, Boognish and 1 other person like this.
  2. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Lets hope in this year's RSD there's none of those stupid 3" releases that they keep promoting...what a pointless waste of resources and time....

3. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

It would seem more likely that the continuation of the Fillmore '69 sets would take place come this year's Black Friday RSD.

lucan_g and astro70 like this.
  4. giantleech

I would be curious to know more about the steps and level of quality that will be taken for this release. A true audiophile level AAA (if possible, and if ever) release of this album would be highly welcome.

Anyone other than myself here familiar with this album? It has been reissued many times already before. To me, it is one of the absolute finest folk rock albums ever released. Top-tier and very rare Deram label album release from 1972 of this superb band from Ireland.

ARK, timnor, Man at C&A and 3 others like this.
  5. giantleech

Man, the way this list is shaping up so far I'm guaranteed to absolutely blow through a wad of Franklins come April 18.

6. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Heard of it, but have never listened to it. I'll add it to my listening list

7. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Yes! Universal will be doing a few of those rare folk albums for RSD. Not sure if they'll be worldwide or UK-only. Either way, probably once again best to put a word in with the local shop to let 'em know you're interested.

Michael Rose likes this.
  8. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Wonder if we will get another Doors Partial Matrix Release? The most disappointing way(whoever is the Decision Maker on The Doors RSD Releases?) to release their Matrix Music-IMO. Just release the Complete Show already.

Also would be nice to get more of the BMR Releases like there was for one of the Aquarius Shows(1st Performance) for the 2016 RSD(I bought later at a higher price, as had only started to buy Vinyl after that time).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    Christopher B and Michael Rose like this.
  9. giantleech

Dig this, baby! (Note: This album rewards complete listening from start to finish.)

ARK and uzn007 like this.
  10. CURPLES

CURPLES Forum Resident

Absolutely agree! To me, the most stunning folk rock LP ever released. Great songs, great playing and divine vocals. I have the box issued from Rise Above Records. Supposedly from the master tapes. Could very well be, the best sounding version of this LP. I also have the Si-Wan release and the See For Miles release-both on CD, but the Rise Above Records version on vinyl seems to be the best. What releases have you heard?

11. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I have several releases from them and sometimes they're nice, whereas other times they're mastered too harshly for my tastes. Not terrible, but still not at all optimal. So whereas I'd be pretty keen on this title if I knew it was getting a really nice mastering, I'm probably gonna pass on this one unless I hear enough people praise it after its release.

Defrance and Andrea_Bellucci like this.
  12. giantleech

To be frank, I agree with this. There are many other fine albums in this realm but I can't think of another similar record that eclipses this.

uzn007 likes this.
  13. giantleech

I have and have heard various issues of this album. Can't really say which version I have is "best" but I can now say that I am absolutely going to have to engage in a quest (much like that endeavored by Galahad) to find and acquire a still-sealed copy of the Rise Above version.

14. CURPLES

CURPLES Forum Resident

I have some that come close-Unhalfbricking and Liege and Lief by Fairport Convention and The Garden of Jane Delawney and On the shore by The Trees. These four along with the Mellow Candle LP make up my top five Folk Rock LPs with Mellow Candle at the very top.

ARK, izgoblin, Man at C&A and 2 others like this.
  15. CURPLES

CURPLES Forum Resident

The Rise Above LP sounds very good to me. If this latest reissue can top it, I will not complain at all. I would love for this to be made commercially available at a good price so more people can hear this. I may still have 2 copies of the Rise Above release, I bought two when it came out. I'll have to check and see if I still have it or sold it off. Probably long gone, but I'll take a look tomorrow and let you know if I still have it. Otherwise, depending on what they do with this new reissue, it's worth seeking out. Still, I am definitely looking forward to the new reissue and will be picking up yet another copy of it!

giantleech likes this.
  16. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Mellow Candle - Swaddling Songs, is the only one right now for me. Impossible for my wallet get an original UK.

Subvet likes this.
  17. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

I'm very anxious for the full list. I've participated in Record Store Day for a few years now. As of now, this could be the first time I skip. I hope not. It's a great experience. Talking to the other addicts at 6AM, hunting down my most wanted from the list and picking up something I didn't expect are just a few of the highlights. It's a lot of fun but I'm not going to make the 2 hour drive each way based on what I see now. Still hoping though...

hi_watt likes this.
  18. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Interesting to see Dissection's Somberlain and Nihilist's Carnal Leftovers getting reissued for RSD.

From what I read about Dissection's Somberlain previous reissues by Black Lodge Records, there are numerous complaints of cramming 30 minutes of music on side A and 13-15 minutes on side B. Since they've released it on three sides (fourth side being etched), I wonder if they will also include the original artwork instead of the generic band logo. :sigh:

There's a few more interesting releases from RSD 2019, such as Black Sabbath, New Order, and a few other metal releases.

EDIT: I also see OHL's Oktoberrevolution being reissued. Another overlooked hardcore punk/thrash metal band. I'll have to seek this one out.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  19. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I picked up the deluxe set that was released a few years back now. One of my fav releases...

Kind of surprised it is being done again. But I can’t have too many copies.

20. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

There's a lot of mixed reviews about Real Gone Music (not to be confused with the other "Real Gone" whose releases are all terribad public domain European stuff) if you search the forums and Discogs discussions.

izgoblin likes this.
  21. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Yep, always depends who they have mastering and what sources are used.

nosliw likes this.
  22. Richard 1966

Richard 1966 Forum Resident

And a very early start too !

23. Richard 1966

Richard 1966 Forum Resident

I'm so lucky... I have a 10 minute walk to my local Shop.
    Hope you get some stuff you like.

JRose likes this.
  24. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Looking through the list again, not a whole lot is jumping out at me once the hype died down. It seems like most of what's listed that I want, there's already a version out that I would prefer. Will for sure load up on used titles if nothing better comes along on that day.

Christopher B likes this.
  25. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

I love recommendations like this. Never heard of this band / album but I'm going to give it a listen. Thanks.

ARK, giantleech and uzn007 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.