Record Store Day 2021 - 12 June and July 17 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Dec 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

"Support your local record store".

I'm sure it varies by label, but with prices rising how much profit is your local record store actually making off this stuff? A local owner that owns a small shop (whom I've built a good relationship with over the years) told me he doesn't order/carry many RSD titles because it costs him so much, and some of it doesn't sell and he's stuck with it after.

2. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

For what I’ve heard of store owners who do ánd don’t participate that’s the problem, because it’s at their risk what they order. If it sells, it’s all hunky dory: profit and the added bonus of a bunch of people (old and new customers) spending time and money in your store.

idledreamer likes this.
  3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I just over paid for The Police Live vol 2 1983. I just had to have it. I hope it sounds good.

4. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

The guy I speak of still has the Sugarhill Records box from 2019, he slashed the price and last time I was in there it was still there, collecting dust.

5. FunkJazz

That’s a bummer indeed, having to take a loss on expensive items. That must be why many participating stores around here ask around beforehand what their regular customers would like them to order from the RSD list. Not to reserve or hold them for one particular person, but to know what they most likely will get to sell on the day and shortly after.

6. NathansForSale

NathansForSale Well-Known Member

I imagine it's an absolute nightmare. They can dress it up as supporting local stores all they want but it's a cash grab now.

idledreamer and AFA like this.
  7. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Are we gettin' AAA slabs in next months poorly titled (but full of rad albums) WAR box?

landerstnkb likes this.
  8. Beach House

Beach House Forum Resident

I just picked up The Doors Morrison Hotel Sessions off of Discogs for less than MSRP $32. I have all of the Doors AP 2X45 RPM but this one wasn’t on my radar. The early reviews are really good, mastered by Bernie Grundman, pressed at Pallas or optimal. Seems like there may be a lot more of these than anticipated as the RSD website says limited to 7500 but the hype says 16,000.

I am officially done with Drop 1 and only must have for Drop 2 is Bobbie Gentry.

audiotom likes this.
  9. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

^ same here. Not sure I’ll be queuing for it though.

10. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Very cool looking vinyl too.

11. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

12. Xander2017

Xander2017 Forum Resident

Yes

uzn007 likes this.
  13. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Thanks. I happened to pick up that CD up for the first time on RSD in a bargain bin for $2.50.

BTW, I wasn't able to find a store in SW Ontario that received either Police Live album. Did you happen to see it?

14. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I haven't seen any mention of the UFO 10". I was fortunate to find the last one in the bottom of the bin during my quick visit to Kingfish on RSD.

This thing SLAMS! 10"s, 45RPM, only one song per side. I kinda feel like a mark that these are two of my favorite songs from Strangers in the Night, but who cares, they rock! Now without the fake crowd noise.

15. Xander2017

Xander2017 Forum Resident

Both of The Police Live LPs were pushed to the July 17th RSD drop in Canada.

J_D__ likes this.
  16. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Thanks - that explains why some people here have it.

17. RecordCollectorYYZ

RecordCollectorYYZ Forum Resident

The sticker on Morrison Hotel Sessions says limited to 16000 but my number on the back is 16784...

18. FunkJazz

Only release on my RSD D1 wish list I wasn’t able to pick up in the store last Saturday. Purchased online, not in my hands yet. Happy to see such a glowing review to wet my appetite!

19. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Bull Moose still had at least five copies of Maria McKee's High Dive left after I got mine at 8:00, if anyone's still searching for that.

DesertHermit likes this.
  20. oldjollymon

oldjollymon right channel den/left channel kitchen

Thanks for fleshing this out...I like mossy!

giantleech likes this.
  21. morwells

morwells Forum Resident

Someone mentioned earlier about aggressive customers...reminds me that I hate stores that have no order on RSD and just fling open the doors and let handfuls of people in all at once..see the in groove streaming video to see what I mean. I like that store and I order online from it a lot but that’s just a stupid and ridiculous way to do that

The last two years as a result of the pandemic, Rough Trade in NYC gives everyone on line a checklist sheet. You mark off your wants, they take it and fill it from the bins behind the counter and call u up to pay for it when it’s ready. Perfect system. No one annoyingly reaching around me trying to grab what they want. No frenzies. Even before this system, they would instill a policy of letting a few people in at a time single file through the RSD bins with no jumping ahead of anyone allowed.

My buddy complained that that takes away from getting to look at the items beforehand but there are about a gazillion unboxing videos now a week beforehand that you can watch and see what everything looks like.
    /end rant

22. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

These kinds of events tap into the irrational part of the brain and create the frenzy. A lot of these records would sit on the shelf unpurchased if distributed normally throughout the year.

23. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

I agree with your buddy. I don't feel like watching a gazillion unboxing videos; plus those are still not a substitute when it comes to a spur of the moment purchase.

Rocketdog, Twinsfan007 and Kevin j like this.
  24. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

I agree. My entire collecting philosophy has changed over the past serval years. No more do I buy stuff on a whim, I research music I'm interested in and if it's not a record I'm gonna listen to more than a handful of times I'm not purchasing it. Only time I purchase anything on RSD is if it's something I actually want and will add to my 'quality v. quantity ' ideal of building my vinyl collection. The only thing I wanted to add to my collection this time around is the Jerry Garcia Band release.

By saving money this way I'm more prone to splurge on a rarer out of print record that may be on the pricey side.

AFA, bjlefebvre and Fruff76 like this.
  25. morwells

morwells Forum Resident

that’s fine but what I really meant was that I’m very well versed before the day in what is coming out and what I want. Sure maybe I won’t have that spur of the moment purchase from actually seeing the titles in the boxes but I’ll take that loss any day over not having a feeding frenzy made up of rather rude impolite people grabbing and clawing for stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.