Record Store Day 2021 - 12 June and July 17 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Dec 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Ah, if so I get that. It was just in response to a comment that argued for not publishing the list at all, which I think would actually hinder RSD more than help.

2. RecordCollectorYYZ

RecordCollectorYYZ Forum Resident

I know, I just want it sooner rather than later because I’m excited for it. That’s all lol
    I understand either way it’s coming within a couple days.

Sean, Ron Mexico and Dreaddazzman like this.
  3. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Not at all, I see nothing to gain by not publishing a list, especially given how titles get allocated. :cheers:

RyeB and IHeartRecordsAz like this.
  4. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

For everyone getting themselves in a flap about will the list be issued today or not, here is a few simple steps to enable you to calm down.

1 Go to google

2 Type In Record Store Day 2021

3 Open the official Record Store Day Website

4 Read The Website

5 Take note that nowhere on the website does it list the actual date that the list will be revealed, the actual words are “the list of releases will be issued soon”

Brett44, Sean, johnnybrum and 3 others like this.
  5. deathproof13

deathproof13 Well-Known Member

Youd think there would be more rumors out by now....

6. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

My least favorite thing about RSD are the different releases for different regions - like, there's usually some UK-only RSD releases I want, but I have to get them online, and when it used to be $10 to ship here, now it's closer to $30.

ARK, zinan, Sean and 3 others like this.
  7. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Yeah this is what’s surprising to me. The past few years we’ve have at least a handful of titles rumored or leaked by now (now meaning a few months out from RSD) to discuss, or announced ahead of time by a label. Last year we even had the entire UK list leaked early through Long Live Vinyl. So the lack of that has helped to contribute to the antsiness of people like myself.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  8. deathproof13

9. This..

Finding Rory Gallagher's 'French Connection' in Dublin 4 mos after it came out, then seeing the Undertones singles box on the shelf behind the counter when I went to pay was something..

10. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

To my knowledge the stores haven't even been sent the lists yet, so a public announcement this week is doubtful.

Boognish likes this.
  11. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

They just got the lists today

Twinsfan007, Sean, DeRosa and 6 others like this.
  12. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

I think announce day is 4/7.

Sean, Lasereye and RecordCollectorYYZ like this.
  13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Not that it matters, but why would a bank holiday delay an announcement being made that day? It’s just an internet announcement. You just press a button and put up a webpage that should have been 99% finished late last week before the holiday.

It’s not as though they’re putting people on street corners around the globe handing out flyers. And besides, if anything, more people are cruising the web on a holiday...

And if it was solely due to the holiday, why not put it out on the following day rather than 2 days later?

JasonA and johnnybrum like this.
  14. deathproof13

That's how marketing works. You don't launch a product or event on a holiday.

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Good point...nobody would ever commit marketing suicide by launching something like Black Friday on holiday weekend. :yawn:

BricksNBeatles likes this.
  16. jimod99

Once again, the bank holiday hasn’t delayed the announcement, the announcement date hasn’t been released yet!!!

:rolleyes:

17. jimod99

News | RECORD STORE DAY

We've spent the last few months watching the news, listening to health officials, talking with record stores, labels, and RSD organizers the world over, and because we still don't have a magic 8-ball to tell us what things are going to look like in a few months, we've decided the smartest thing to do is bring back the concept of RSD Drops for 2021.

The RSD Drops will take place on June 12 and July 17 at participating stores worldwide.

These are street dates for special titles coming to participating indie record stores. As with the successful RSD Drops dates in 2020, the focus this year is on supporting indie record stores with sales, and saving the big parties, shows, in-stores, crowds and celebrations for (fingers crossed) Record Store Day 2022.

As they did last year for the three RSD Drops, stores will be handling sales and store procedures in the way they determine to be right for themselves and their community and that may mean something different than you're used to. We recommend you check in with your local record stores --join their email lists, follow them on social media-- so you're as in the loop as possible.

We'll be launching the List of titles for both RSD Drops dates soon

18. deathproof13

It's all about social media. Why make an announcement on a holiday when people arnt working or near their phones? Metrics show that emails are opened and read early mornings during the beginning of the week.

19. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

I listened to the album today, and remembered that someone had recommended one particular tune, but I forgot which one, and just came back to check...sure enough, this was the only one that made a positive impression on 1st listen.

I'm in no hurry to hear the album again, but for me, it's nowhere near as wretched as Gaucho. It has one crucial thing that Gaucho lacks: a pulse, of sorts.

If we get this for RSD, I'd be tempted to buy it...but it's at least 10 minutes too long, IMO.

BricksNBeatles and Skylab like this.
  20. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Do you have a link to these "metrics"? Most people I know are checking their e-mails and phones at all times.

Why not announce it on a holiday? Most people have the day off and then can have the time to look at the list or go to the store to buy the product. Not everyone has a job where they can look at the list during work hours.

And let's say that they would release the list on a "holiday". If you have the time to look at it, you can have all day to look at it. Those that can't look at it yet can wait until the next day when they go to work. At least the servers wouldn't crash from everyone trying to access the list all at once.

21. It's unfortunate RSD stopped dealing with the smaller distributor companies that have been with them for years and opted to go with the biggest distributor companies this year for product distribution. I thought RSD was about helping the little guy, but instead, they opted to go with the biggest.

22. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

People are always near their phones. It's pathetic, but it is what it is.

23. deathproof13

ARK likes this.
  24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I didn’t say it was. I was questioning the logic of the speculation... :rolleyes:

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.