Record Store Day 2021 - 12 June and July 17 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Dec 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

Nephrodoc likes this.
  2. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

it feels like a lot of the recent RSD "drops" falls within this category. stuff that if you went to a place like the Princeton Record Exchange, you'd see dirt copies by the score. case in point, the ridiculously overpriced Hot Rock reissue that I bought a virtually mint condition copy of maybe 2 years for $8, which replaced a not-as-nice copy I bought a few years before that for $5.

3. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Found a Miles Davis Champions!

On a side note, the War box set is fantastic!
    Every War album I’ve ever found in the wild has been trashed. This is a much needed reissue, even in its limited numbers.

4. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

How'd that Rundgren produced Shaun Cassidy reissue do this year?

5. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

you guys on here are trying really hard to make me regret passing on this.

uzn007, bjlefebvre and tinnox like this.
  6. jacchank

jacchank Forum Resident

shout out to bill at crooked beat records in alexandria, VA.......picked up astral plane...tribute to jonathan richman and rory gallagher volume 2....great guy to deal with..A++++ transaction

uzn007 and Jon H. like this.
  7. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I kind of thought the same but when VMP put out the AAA version late last year, it was gone by the time I tried to sample/stream on my lunch walk. 1,000 copies gone in a few hours. It was $30 and I wish I would have gotten it. This is album that came out a year after I was born. It was more interesting that I anticipated.

I have every reason to believe the reissue that was cut AAA could sound as good or better than the original. I will keep my eyes open for a clean original though. It's probably $30 now. LOL.

8. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

like i said earlier this is rsd dont try and use logic

9. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

Amen.

It seems like most RSD titles fall into one of four categories:
    • Catalog titles that are readily available as CDs, downloads, and used LPs, but maybe with a bonus LP or 45 of CD bonus tracks appended
    • Albums from the '90s that were never released on LP or only in a small run that was poorly mastered and packaged
    • CD bonus tracks pressed to vinyl and given new artwork -- often in a quaintly period style to resemble some sort of "lost album" (see this year's Bobbie Gentry title)
    • Actual unreleased music: The rarest category and by far the most appreciated (by me, at least). Of course, it may be issued again (on CD, as a cheaper/unlimited LP, etc.)

uzn007, marcb, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  10. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Oddly enough I checked my OG War albums, the three middle ones, and they're all in incredible shape, like really nice. I had ignored them for too long. The new box is so much fun though.

oldjollymon, alx7 and Rekkerds like this.
  11. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

fairly good summary of the majority of items. dont forget picture discs
    then you have the unique things like the foo fighters release and the 7" items that are usually new content.

i admit i'm a sucker for the rsd releases where its new bonus track, or an artist i collect. but the vast majority is pure money grab.

Collapsed Lung likes this.
  12. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

If you’re talking about the War box set I finally ordered it after all the great reviews about it !

ODShowtime, djost and Beach House like this.
  13. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Just got the Black Sabbath UK RSD issue if Master of Reality. Woohoo

tinnox likes this.
  14. vinyl>cd

vinyl>cd Climb To Glory / Fly To Glory

Good luck on finding a clean original copy of Bad Girls. And if you find a clean one, I’d suggest you play the lottery pronto. Not saying they aren’t there (clean originals) but they are extremely rare to find. Happy hunting. Or you can just get this RSD reissue, it’s as good if not better than the original.

uzn007, DesertHermit and mikemoon like this.
  15. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I’ve mentioned this up thread, but I’ve seen quite a few of them lately for less than $8 in nice shape. Maybe it was luck, or regional . In fact, I bought a different Donna Summer album from one of the guys and he said, wow, I can’t believe I sold a Donna Summer album today. This was a few weeks before record store day.

16. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Nice suggestion, I'm not really going to hunt for it. I'd have to kind of run into it. Any mastering details on the RSD version?

The VMP version might also pop up for a good price at some point.

17. sillycornelius

sillycornelius Forum Resident

18. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

19. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

Also, there are the gimmick releases, like the 3-inch records and that back-to-back covers singles series from a few years ago.

And compilations compiled by record store owners or beer companies or whomever.

There are quite a few releases, though, of stuff that may be available on CD, but LP pressings are expensive. This year there was the Fear record (and the Cro-Mags). There were the mono Pink Floyd records a couple of years ago (and one of those wasn’t available on any format). One of my most-played RSD records is a repressing of the Saints’ Eternally Yours from about 7 or 8 years ago.

20. vinyl>cd

vinyl>cd Climb To Glory / Fly To Glory

[​IMG]
    War got a listening buddy! Fantastic week!

21. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Like to know how it sounds and can you post pics ?

22. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

tinnox likes this.
  23. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

24. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I’d love a Free. Albums, box set for record store day. Not too many. Would make a nice little box

25. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Just got Set The Twilight Reeling (one of my favourites of his) and don’t you think that one is a fantastic sounding record? That is a really great mastering job by Bob Ludwig!

SJR, Gavaxeman and Greenalishi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.