Record Store Day 2021 - 12 June and July 17 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Dec 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

So I've refined my list for RSD Drops in 2021. I do this every time and it probably will change again but I doubt much. This just isn't an exciting RSD for me. I mentioned before that I would be ok with missing both of the RSD drops. I'll stand by that comment and even go further to say that I expect to miss them both. I do enjoy going but it's a 2 hour drive to my closest participating RSD shop. That's a haul but I might go to June if I just feel like it. Anyway, here are the only records I'm trying to get this year:

Love Spit Love Trysome Eatone. I'm not a Psychedelic Furs fan (yet) and this release is exactly why I like RSD. I would've never considered this LP otherwise but for some reason I've streamed it since it made the RSD list. I've been streaming it daily for weeks now. It's awesome and I'm really looking forward to getting a copy. 2k units isn't a lot but I don't know if this is very popular either. I'm not sure if the 2k is worldwide or if this is just a US release. Real Gone Music is a great label. They did a phenomenal job pressing my Spacehog Resident Alien record and a few others so this looks like a worthy purchase to me. This is my most desirable release for RSD drops this year.
    Linkin Park Meteora. I don't think this is going to be hard to get but will sell out IMO. It's a classic album that has been pressed a few times though still hard to get. 8.5k copies this time around should be enough to meet most of the demand. I think I can buy this staying home but it will be guaranteed if I stand in line in June for it and Love Spit Love.
    The Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young Deja Vu. This release is still very appealing to me too. I think record labels and fans expect this to explode like Fleetwood Mac Rumours. I don't believe it will but we will see in July. Alternate Rumours was a pretty special release based on popularity and the content. It was worth buying just for Stevie Nicks demo of "The Chain". I haven't heard any cuts from this release yet but 10k seems sufficient based on my perceived demand.

Honorable mention: K.Flay cover songs. I generally don't like singles or 12" with a few tunes but I'm very intrigued to hear this one.

Rocketdog likes this.
  2. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

I understand that. A different experience but you said "not very good" and that isn't true at all. I find it very good.

uzn007 likes this.
  3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I was just in the Newbury Comics at the South Shore mall and it wasn’t very good.

Daedalus likes this.
  4. MEllODrOnE411

MEllODrOnE411 Well-Known Member

You are exactly right. I order anywhere from 5 to 10 LPs a month from either Ebay or Discogs and 80% of the vinyl is graded improperly. Most sellers are hardly examining the records under light. It’s really hard to find sellers who know how to grade properly which has led me to really only buying sealed records. The best is when someone says, “Im not a professional grader” or “I don’t grade records” that’s ridiculous. No one is professional grader that’s why the Goldmine standards are used, so the average person can figure out how to grade records. I think a lot of people just want to believe their records are in better condition than they actually are either because they payed a lot for them initially or they have some sort of sentimental attachment to it. Regardless, I find it very difficult to find reliable graders when buying records online.

5. Jet Boy 57

Jet Boy 57 Well-Known Member

MWSTW related stuff just announced for release on 28th May. This probably explains the absence of anything for RSD.

Django likes this.
  6. morwells

morwells Forum Resident

Wow i don't know, maybe i am lucky or maybe you are unlucky but like a previous person wrote a few pages back, i have had a great success rate with discogs and eBay. Not saying you don't but I do my due diligence. I study the reviews people leave the seller, I normally won't deal with anyone unless they have been selling for a looonnggggg time and i ask questions and i ask for detailed photos.Unless it's an established store or like acoustic sounds where i inherently trust. I think i have gotten one dud in the last 2 years and it wasn't a grading issue. It was cause i messed up and forgot to ask the seller to make sure the album he had was the specific release, which i always make sure to ask. So that was on me and when I told him the one he sent me was the wrong version, he apologized, credited me back the entire sale and told me to keep the record.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  7. morwells

morwells Forum Resident

Recently I stopped in one of my locals on my birthday to treat myself to some vinyl presents. The second i walked in, I said (half jokingly) to my buddy who works the shop that it was my bday and could he please find me an OG "Home of the Hits" copy of The Modern Lovers debut record. It's one of my all time fave records and I've been stymied in finding a good copy of it for years (and i'm ready and willing to pay the big bucks it goes for). Anyway, without missing a beat, he basically says well I don't have that but I just got this and haven't put it out yet. It was a NM (basically mint) copy of Jonathan Goes Country. Gave it to me for way less then it's going for as a birthday gift. That was a good day

So yes man i agree with you totally about everything you wrote but i'm sad cause Craft did do such a good job with I, Jonathan and I believe it was done AAA but I don't think the RSD Havin a Party is being done that way and im curious as to why. Are the tapes lost or messed up?

8. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

That's an awesome story. I had something similar (but not nearly as cool) happen recently... I'd been looking for the recent reissue of John Coltrane's Ballads, which had sold out of its first pressing and was going for $70-$80 on Discogs. I happened to be at my local record store and -- not knowing that it had apparently just been restocked -- I asked the guy if he knew whether he could get it or not, and he was like, "You mean... this one?", and reached under the counter and pulled one out. Someone else had ordered it but got a copy somewhere else and didn't need it. Cha-ching!

I have no idea. Where did you see that it's not going to be AAA? Was that because it didn't specifically say that in the publicity? Hopefully it will still sound good. This album came out in 1991... it's entirely possible that it was mixed to DAT and there is no analog master. (In which case the vinyl is unlikely to sound much better than the CD but I'll still buy it...)

kt66brooklyn, longdist01 and morwells like this.
  9. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I miss wrecka stows.

10. morwells

morwells Forum Resident

Great story as well.

I didnt see it said anywhere it wasn't but in the descriptions of the other records Craft is releasing for RSD, they do specifically mention they are AAA when applicable such as the Chicago Blues comp. So that leads me to believe but ya know what, maybe ill fire off an email to them and ask. See what they say. But yes you could be entirely correct that it might not have been recorded in analog at all.

kt66brooklyn and uzn007 like this.
  11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

At best. I’m now surprised if somethings audiophile quality. Which might be an issue if you call yourself one. Now that I think about it, do they?

12. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

As far as Tatu are concerned, their follow up album Dangerous and Moving is 10 times better than their debut but I will get this one anyway as it's finally being pressed on vinyl.

Shame it isn't a special edition with just Russian vocals as they sound a whole lot better singing in Russian than English.

Soundslave likes this.
  13. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Some interesting drops to me.
    Tad Inhaler - Tad’s best IMHO.
    The Wipers YoA - I snagged the RSD of Is This Real, so this one is a must for me.
    Frank Marino Live Vol 2 -Purchased Vol 1 during RSD last year. Kind of irked that the album art is exactly the same.
    Hot Tuna America’s Choice.

Echoes Myron and uzn007 like this.
  14. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I might grab this if I see it.

vinyl diehard likes this.
  15. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

16. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to that one too.

I don't know enough about Salsa or Latin music either, but I do know that if you don't have this one, you should :)
    Celia & Johnny

17. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Now the lists are out and prices online, how much are people expecting to spend on the day if they get everything on their list?

18. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Given how ridiculously overpriced the records are, no more than £100.

Porkpie and Jim B. like this.
  19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

A new term (not really) used by sellers on EBay is “used”, with nothing else to back it up. No grade. That’s a hard pass on my part.

johnnybrum and DTK like this.
  20. Xander2017

Xander2017 Forum Resident

I'm interested in:

The Police Live Vol2
    TFF @ Massey Hall
    Steely Dan - Two Against Nature

I have the CD for The Police Vol2, but haven't seen a tracklist for the RSD vinyl. I am wondering if it matches the CD.

Has anyone scene the tracklist for Vol 2?

This is not an accurate tracklist -

RSD '21 Special Release: The Police - Live! Vol. 2: Atlanta 1983

Thanks!

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  21. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

$150 total for both drops. That’s if the titles I want are available online. I’m definitely not making the drive this year to stand online. Nothing that interesting to me.

Porkpie likes this.
  22. Xander2017

Xander2017 Forum Resident

Christopher B, JasonA and Rekkerds like this.
  23. BricksNBeatles

BricksNBeatles The driver of an underground train

~$250 for the June drop and $120 for the July drop. Obviously gonna have to pare that down quite a bit.

kt66brooklyn and Greenalishi like this.
  24. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Briskit likes this.
  25. Gradese

Gradese Forum Resident

I tend to doubt it.
    When this is the case, Craft usually shouts it on the sticker - their typical lines are "ALL-ANALOG mastering by..." or "lacquers cut from the original analog masters"... but there's nothing of the sort here. But you're right, they did a good job anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.