Record Store Day 2021 - 12 June and July 17 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Dec 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sangfreud

sangfreud Forum Resident

Omnivore promises a Richard Hell release, in conjunction with the reissue of Destiny Street:

Besides containing the three faithful versions of the album, the 40th anniversary 2-CD deluxe edition of Destiny Street includes not only Hell’s detailed liner notes, but a fourth LP’s worth of demos and prior studio versions of the album’s material—essentially all of Richard’s songwriting output recorded between the release of Blank Generation in 1977 and the recording of Destiny Street in 1981—including some of the best playing and singing in the four-part Complete—called Destiny Street Demos.

And for Record Store Day 2021, Omnivore Recordings will proudly offer this special material on its own stand-alone vinyl LP.

Richard Hell And The Voidoids — Destiny Street Complete – Omnivore Recordings

aseriesofsneaks and DTK like this.
  2. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Thank you for sharing. I have a feeling RSD was a personal project to Tom. Not a big money maker so his family may not be interested.

hi_watt likes this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Thanks for sharing your good news story.

Is TFF Massey Hall going to be a US release?

4. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

Talking to different retailers , the full customer base , as yet to return. Many are wondering if they ever will?

5. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Not sure about overall sales, but the few local stores I know of had their best RSD ever last year amid covid.

ghoulsurgery, MontyUK and hi_watt like this.
  6. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Same here. Hope your ride was as mild as mine. So grateful my GP gave me the "science-says-it-won't-work" regimen and it was kicked out like a bad girlfriend. Prayers to those who weren't so lucky.

The last RSD I bought from was 2019. Mono Saucerful Of Secrets and 4 Way Street Deluxe are fantastic. The "DJ Monaural" Woodstock...meh, I should've left that one in the bin and picked up the Procol Harum reissue instead.

hi_watt likes this.
  7. How is the "Custodian's Mix" different from the current one?

keithdylan likes this.
  8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The good news is you also don’t have to imagine what you could have done with the extra $200-$300 from selling it if your request had been fulfilled...

9. radickeyfan

with Covid , I am strictly servicing Mid-Atlantic / North East.
    Indie stores are suffering, last years , 4 weeks of RSD was a nightmare.
    Stores are unable to pay the Distributor , many are being moved to COD.

10. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

There will also be a release from The Who. Richard Evans says: “All I'll tell you is RSD2021 release from The Who is great. I've been playing it for the past month. Mastering is done. Artwork is done. Proofs approved. It's in production, folks. Not long to go . . .” And that the announcement will be “soon.”

11. Will it be organic ?

hfarrior3 likes this.
  12. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

New Van Dyke Parks, according to his Twitter.

kouzie, Boognish, jlf and 1 other person like this.
  13. barnabyjames1

barnabyjames1 Forum Resident

That's the flippers...

14. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

And with cover art by Klaus Voormann! Nice.

sharedon likes this.
  15. lildroogie

lildroogie Well-Known Member

Sadly I would have sold it at cost, likely to a flipper, and then thought about what might have been for the rest of my days.

marcb likes this.
  16. radickeyfan

lots of talk going on , about moving date to Sept or Oct ...stay tuned

17. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

For the sake of not freezing, I hope it’s September.

18. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I could see that - everyone should have gotten their vaccines by then.

Porkpie likes this.
  19. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Would there still be a RSD Black Friday if this were the case?

20. lildroogie

lildroogie Well-Known Member

i dunno, I kinda preferred the way it was done at my local store this time around (for all the covid RSD drops).. basically online drops. This set up is less likely to get delayed til late summer. I didn't have to park, stand in line, or smell anyone.

21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I liked the drops and online shopping at indie stores. I think I supported four this past year.

22. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Same. Hated to wait for the USPS compared to instant gratification but fave local shop did not participate. And I have dodged the virus so far. Knock on wood:shtiphat:

Sean, hi_watt and JeffMo like this.
  23. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

How much of a move to a later date would be because of vaccine distribution versus manufacturing delays?

Lucky for me, my locals seem to be doing well despite the pandemic. They were shipping or doing home delivery when only essential businesses were open and have kept at it and curbside pickups even after they were allowed to open again. One is opening a new location this week.

Musicisthebest and hi_watt like this.
  24. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I liked the drops and because they were spread out I ended up spending more, which was not ideal.

Chris Bernhardt and JeffMo like this.
  25. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Rumor has it The Who RSD ‘21 release may be San Francisco 1971 but that’s not yet confirmed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.